Window tint, what ive learned. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #36
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream
Helps keep car cooler in the summer and protects leather seats!
+1 I wish I had the windshield done.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM
I can see blacking it all out if you're in an area with a lot of sun, it is functional, and does help with the heat & help your A/C keep you cool. I like having my back windows blacked out, which is legal in Ohio. I usually get 20% on the back window and rear windows, and around 35-40% on the fronts.

What's the consensus about premium film types? I was quoted $250-400 depending on what level of film I use. Is there really a big difference, worth an extra $150 for a "premium" type film? They're all warrantied as long as I have the car, and it's a shop that's been in business for 20+ years locally.
I just got quotes and think i'd be just as happy with the 250 dollar film as i would the 400 one. Anyone disagree or have experience with this?
The more expensive premium film is supposed to last longer as far as fading. And they're supposed to be more durable if you bump something against them. The cheaper films with warranties, the warranty usually only covers bubbling. The more expensives ones usually have warranties that protect against the fading as well because they're not supposed to fade. That's how they were at the place I went. The films were all the same brand it just depended on the quality I wanted. Some places offer different brands of film and their "premium" film could simply be a better brand name. Best way to find out is to talk to them and ask what the exact differences are.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the medium grade one when I went to get mine. The medium ones protected against fading for lifetime. The low level one was supposed to last 5 yrs without fading but after that it was no longer guaranteed. It was only bubbling that was guaranteed for a lifetime. I wanted fading and bubbling guaranteed for a life time. I can't remember what was special about the highest grade they had but it wasn't special enough for me to pay another $75. They had three grades. For all 5 windows $175 for low grade, $250 medium grade, $325 for high grade. There is no way I would pay $400. I thought $325 was steep. I visited three different shops and the place I got mine done was the most expensive out of all of them.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
Except you can't see out of cardboard.
BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
I can see blacking it all out if you're in an area with a lot of sun, it is functional, and does help with the heat & help your A/C keep you cool. I like having my back windows blacked out, which is legal in Ohio. I usually get 20% on the back window and rear windows, and around 35-40% on the fronts.
Even with the 40% I have, it makes a huge difference in transmitted heat. I can see out of the car at night, too...
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

What's the consensus about premium film types? I was quoted $250-400 depending on what level of film I use. Is there really a big difference, worth an extra $150 for a "premium" type film? They're all warrantied as long as I have the car, and it's a shop that's been in business for 20+ years locally.
I just got quotes and think i'd be just as happy with the 250 dollar film as i would the 400 one. Anyone disagree or have experience with this?
If It's not 3m, don't waste your money.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
If It's not 3m, don't waste your money.
I completely agree. I'm shopping around now to find someone who uses great products like 3M, since all i'm finding is the typical run of the mill junk, and they're charging premium prices for it. I don't mind paying for it, if it's worth it to me.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I completely agree. I'm shopping around now to find someone who uses great products like 3M, since all i'm finding is the typical run of the mill junk, and they're charging premium prices for it. I don't mind paying for it, if it's worth it to me.
3m makes a rookie look like a pro.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Is 3M that good? Good enough to say only get your windows tinted if its 3m?
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20
In my opinion,yes very much so.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I've got an appointment to have Llumar brand tint installed tomorrow, at a local shop. Pics to follow. After doing research, it seems to be good stuff, and the price is very reasonable, around $200.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20
3m is one of the best but there are others just as good. Such as FormulaOne and SunTek.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Quote:
I've got an appointment to have Llumar brand tint installed tomorrow, at a local shop. Pics to follow. After doing research, it seems to be good stuff, and the price is very reasonable, around $200.
Good price! Make sure there's a lifetime warranty and you're good!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT

3m is one of the best but there are others just as good. Such as FormulaOne and SunTek.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

+1
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post

$199 out the door with the windshield strip done as well, lifetime guarantee.

I went with 20% for the rear window and 35% for the rest.

Here's the Rear

Front

And from the Drivers side..
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's the Rear

Front

Lookin good man!! That's a good deal with the front windshield strip!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

Here's the Rear

Front

Gorgeous ride man looks great with tinted windows!
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
140 for 35% all around
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post
140 for 35% all around
That's a great price honestly, i'd be all about it for $140. It seems to be way more expensive here in Central Ohio for some unknown reason. There are plenty of qualified shops that do it, so it's not a lack of availability issue..who knows why they think they can charge upwards of $400+ at some places here, i'm not paying that.
When I lived in Florida, you could get a car done for around $100, so I think it's got a lot more to do with where you live?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I'm in Biloxi Mississippi
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

That's a great price honestly, i'd be all about it for $140. It seems to be way more expensive here in Central Ohio for some unknown reason. There are plenty of qualified shops that do it, so it's not a lack of availability issue..who knows why they think they can charge upwards of $400+ at some places here, i'm not paying that.
When I lived in Florida, you could get a car done for around $100, so I think it's got a lot more to do with where you live?
Yeah here miami its 80 and they come to your house, did my scion 6 years ago, still is perfect, i have to call the old guy again, he does an awesome job.
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
$200 for 18% all over
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing