Window tint, what ive learned. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Window tint, what ive learned.

So I got my windows pro done Monday. He came to my house and did it which was nice and it was the cheapest I've found in town. After he left I called him back and told him my tint looked like bubble wrap was on my windows. He told me in the cold it takes longer for the (water) bubbles to get out. I thought it looked horrible and didn't even want to drive my car. But here two days later. Almost ever bubble is out. So just a tip. If it does look bad the first couple if days. Just give it time. He said give it a month to look the way it will look forever.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you want to get rid of it even faster you can make a tiny hole with a sewing needle so the air can escape
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I saw that online. But I have a lifetime warranty and also read online that if they can tell I did something to mess it up. They might turn me down for the warranty. But it looks pretty good now. Maybe 10 bubble altogether between the 5 windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08
Yeah. I saw that online. But I have a lifetime warranty and also read online that if they can tell I did something to mess it up. They might turn me down for the warranty. But it looks pretty good now. Maybe 10 bubble altogether between the 5 windows.
Could use a scwegge or however it is spelled to guide the water out
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream

Could use a scwegge or however it is spelled to guide the water out
It's all good now. And the window tint really set off the car. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
So I got my windows pro done Monday. He came to my house and did it which was nice and it was the cheapest I've found in town. After he left I called him back and told him my tint looked like bubble wrap was on my windows. He told me in the cold it takes longer for the (water) bubbles to get out. I thought it looked horrible and didn't even want to drive my car. But here two days later. Almost ever bubble is out. So just a tip. If it does look bad the first couple if days. Just give it time. He said give it a month to look the way it will look forever.
Nice!!!!!! I love my tint and mine was bubbly and not very transparent at first but it cleared up within a few days. The guys told me to let it sit outside during the day to let help it dry.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Is this the first car you have had tinted?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have mine tinted at 18%... And ever since ive had them it looks like waterspots on the window. I have tried everything to get it off and nothing seems to work. Even the place that tinted it said they had no idea what it is and they tried fixing it and were unsuccessful. Any ideas?
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6in
I have mine tinted at 18%... And ever since ive had them it looks like waterspots on the window. I have tried everything to get it off and nothing seems to work. Even the place that tinted it said they had no idea what it is and they tried fixing it and were unsuccessful. Any ideas?
Get your money back and find a new shop would be what I would do

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6in
Had to take mine back and get it redone. Guy figured he would clean my windows and sit around and bs with me for 3 hours with his bay doors open on a nice windy day. So I gave the tint a week to settle down, and then it looked like my windows had herpes cause of all the dust trapped under the tint.
So I took it back, had it redone. Except this time, I took it back on a rainy day. Rain settled all the dust. Bay doors down. I sat in the waiting room, but still took him 3 hours.
Tint came out good. It's not 100% right. But if you notice the very minute imperfections, then you are too close to my car and need to back the eff up lol
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm looking to have my tint done on my 2011 GT/CS but am concerned that it's not warm enough for it to cure properly. I live in central Ohio, and the average temperature for the next month will roughly be 40-50 degrees during the day.
I had this done to another car a few years ago, when it was even colder, and I wasn't happy with the results. There were small blotches of what looked like the window film adhesive everywhere. They were small, but I noticed it.
Thoughts? I have an unheated garage that I park in, but even so I wonder if it would set up properly and cure.

Also, what's everyone paying for a good tint job where they live? I'm getting quotes and wonder what the cost may be on this car.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I've been considering getting my windows tinted, but what is a good cheap price? I don't want to get completely ripped off because I don't know how much I should be paying.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM
I'm looking to have my tint done on my 2011 GT/CS but am concerned that it's not warm enough for it to cure properly. I live in central Ohio, and the average temperature for the next month will roughly be 40-50 degrees during the day.
I had this done to another car a few years ago, when it was even colder, and I wasn't happy with the results. There were small blotches of what looked like the window film adhesive everywhere. They were small, but I noticed it.
Thoughts? I have an unheated garage that I park in, but even so I wonder if it would set up properly and cure.

Also, what's everyone paying for a good tint job where they live? I'm getting quotes and wonder what the cost may be on this car.
I got my tinted when the low was low 0 or upper 20 something. It doesn't matter too much. The guys will be applying it in a heated garage probably. If you can park outside in direct sun it will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20
I've been considering getting my windows tinted, but what is a good cheap price? I don't want to get completely ripped off because I don't know how much I should be paying.
I got mine done for $150 I was told that's about the lowest a shop can go and make a profit. I had one place quote me $220. Stay away from groupon deals on tint. I got a groupon that was $75 for 4 Windows. The guy always had an excuse.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I got my tinted when the low was low 0 or upper 20 something. It doesn't matter too much. The guys will be applying it in a heated garage probably. If you can park outside in direct sun it will help a lot.

I got mine done for $150 I was told that's about the lowest a shop can go and make a profit. I had one place quote me $220. Stay away from groupon deals on tint. I got a groupon that was $75 for 4 Windows. The guy always had an excuse.
Also what's a good % tint amount? What's the limit? I'm looking for dark but not insanely dark if that makes sense
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My bubble finally went away. I paid 130 and he came to me and did it in my drive way. He was the cheapest in town. I got 25% on front two windows and 5% on back windows. Looks very good. And I have a lifetime warranty. Try and get that so if they mess up and say its not there fault. You can throw that at them. Also. Let cute for at least a month before contacting them back. Water bubbles need time in the sun and heat. Air bubbles on the other hand. Won't go away.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM

Wait till it warms up some. It really helps in the longevity of ur tint. But if you find a reputable shop that has been around awhile. You can get it done while its cold and Usually you'll get a lifetime warranty and they will fix the tint if anything happens. But make sure the shop had been around awhile so that they can follow through on your lifetime warranty. And probably $250 for tint on all of the windows. Also depends a lot on the area you live

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also what's a good % tint amount? What's the limit? I'm looking for dark but not insanely dark if that makes sense
I'm at 35% (darkest for Mississippi legally) paid 140 it's dark but you can see inside still it's pretty decent to me I'll try and take a pic today
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

The limit varies by state so in Georgia it is 32% without a medical waiver. With the waiver it's 25% +/- 5% so I'm at 20% and I love it.

I'd go 20% regardless of the waiver
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My dad won't let me get it cause he says it makes the car look Terrible and that it's illegal even tho I live in mass and the limit is 35%, he still says It won't pass inspection which think it will. Any thoughts.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got any pics of the finished product?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It rained last night while I was at work. So yes. Very dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3796325556.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	75687   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-984571026.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	75688  

Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Looking good.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Wait till it warms up some. It really helps in the longevity of ur tint. But if you find a reputable shop that has been around awhile. You can get it done while its cold and Usually you'll get a lifetime warranty and they will fix the tint if anything happens. But make sure the shop had been around awhile so that they can follow through on your lifetime warranty. And probably $250 for tint on all of the windows. Also depends a lot on the area you live
I'm leaning toward that. I have a 2012 Accord that I had tinted in July and wasn't really happy with the results 100%. I got it cheap, and I got what I paid for, but that car is the family car and I could care less about it. The Mustang is a different story, it needs to be right, so i'm going to another shop, paying more, and expecting much better results. I'm going to see about parking it indoors in the heated shop for a few days if they can, just to let it cure. I've given them a lot of business in the last year, so they'll probably work with me more so than the average Joe. It's not very sunny here this time of the year, so it's either that, or wait until next June.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You get what you pay for. Mine was about $175, but it was also at the top-rated shop in my area. It was perfect from the word go. Same with my Focus--perfect tint from the start. I found the place on Yelp (a near-perfect rating after nearly 200 reviews was a good sign). So, do a little research, and be willing to pay a little more than bottom-dollar for a proper, professional job. IMHO, the price I paid was more than reasonable, and see no need to cheap out on $20-50 for work on my $30k car.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I agree yelp is an excellent place to find a good shop. That's what I did. I went around to three of the highest rated shops and talked to the guys so I could get a feel for them. One guy was a total jackass and I realized 30 seconds into our convo I was not using his shop. I ended up going with the highest rated shop in town and I don't regret it at all. They had lambos, Mercedes, and a gt500 in their shop. I was talking to the owner and he was telling how the month before he tinted the windows on a helicopter. This place also had a website you could look at all their work. very high end and very good quality. Loved every bit of the experience. Good quality shops are worth the money

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a link to the place i used. lhttp://www.protintonline.net/index.html

Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I don't get why you can't tint the front window. I mean I understand there is a percent that is too much to see well out of but a couple percent would look nice.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't get why you can't tint the front window. I mean I understand there is a percent that is too much to see well out of but a couple percent would look nice.
I know a couple people who haven't gotten away with 50% on the windshield. But anything darker like 35% it'd be too hard to see out of at night.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT

I know a couple people who haven't gotten away with 50% on the windshield. But anything darker like 35% it'd be too hard to see out of at night.
If they want tint on the windshield, just wear sunglasses
##iwearmysunglassesatnight
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

If they want tint on the windshield, just wear sunglasses
##iwearmysunglassesatnight
Lmao!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

ROFL

It's bad enough with the people blacking out their back windows so they can't see anything, but then they want to tint the windshield, too. Why not just spray paint some cardboard black & stick it in the windows? Same effect.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
ROFL

It's bad enough with the people blacking out their back windows so they can't see anything, but then they want to tint the windshield, too. Why not just spray paint some cardboard black & stick it in the windows? Same effect.
Except you can't see out of cardboard. If your window is completely clear or has a blue tinge a small percent of tint will just make it blend in better and not stick out in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
ROFL

Exactly. I had mine done to legal spec. Just to add a lil more aggressive look. Blacking it all out makes me feel like they are stuck in the 80s & 90s
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I can see blacking it all out if you're in an area with a lot of sun, it is functional, and does help with the heat & help your A/C keep you cool. I like having my back windows blacked out, which is legal in Ohio. I usually get 20% on the back window and rear windows, and around 35-40% on the fronts.

What's the consensus about premium film types? I was quoted $250-400 depending on what level of film I use. Is there really a big difference, worth an extra $150 for a "premium" type film? They're all warrantied as long as I have the car, and it's a shop that's been in business for 20+ years locally.
I just got quotes and think i'd be just as happy with the 250 dollar film as i would the 400 one. Anyone disagree or have experience with this?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26
My dad won't let me get it cause he says it makes the car look Terrible and that it's illegal even tho I live in mass and the limit is 35%, he still says It won't pass inspection which think it will. Any thoughts.
Go with a light tint such as 40 or 50! You will still get benefits from it! To be honest my dad called it a bunch of names. But he has no say since I own the car.,
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Helps keep car cooler in the summer and protects leather seats!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing