Filing Bumper holes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Rosco is unknown around these parts
Filing Bumper holes

I removed my front license plate bracket and have had painted bumper plugs in it but I'm growing old of the warts. I need some guidance on how to go about patching this for good. Also I'm looking to remove my decklid and patch the 4 bolt holes in my trunk. Any advice on that. Also does anyone know what material the front bumper is and what the trunk is made of.

1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

BaSohol is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
I removed my front license plate bracket and have had painted bumper plugs in it but I'm growing old of the warts. I need some guidance on how to go about patching this for good. Also I'm looking to remove my decklid and patch the 4 bolt holes in my trunk. Any advice on that. Also does anyone know what material the front bumper is and what the trunk is made of.
Deck lid, tack weld a piece of metal behind the holes and fill in with body filler

Front bumper idk really bondo is maybe to stiff for a plastic bumper?

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Tyoung68 is unknown around these parts
For the bumper iv seen people put a screen looking piece like the door and then use some sort of resign and that hardens pretty quick and the just sand it down and paint it
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post

Deck lid, tack weld a piece of metal behind the holes and fill in with body filler

Front bumper idk really bondo is maybe to stiff for a plastic bumper?
I was wondering if that was the route to go with on the decklid. Least its straight forward.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
For the bumper iv seen people put a screen looking piece like the door and then use some sort of resign and that hardens pretty quick and the just sand it down and paint it
I've seen that too. It's a mesh you use to hold the 2 stage epoxy in place until hardened. Still wondering if anyone has experience doing this.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

1slosix is just getting started.
15 cent nylon plugs from a hardware store...sand them flat (because usually they have a rounded head)...pre paint them to match...pop them in...it's how i plug things like the rear decklid when i feel like going badgeless..what's nice is i can pop them out when needed

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
15 cent nylon plugs from a hardware store...sand them flat (because usually they have a rounded head)...pre paint them to match...pop them in...it's how i plug things like the rear decklid when i feel like going badgeless..what's nice is i can pop them out when needed
I already have those in. I want the actual flush and seamless look because there is always a lil wart with plugs.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Tyoung68 is unknown around these parts
Iv welded holes shut and put bondo on but not the other stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing