armor all - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
armor all

I got an armor all pack with a few different products in it. I have heard the the dashboard cleaner isnt good. It came with the origional protectant, interior cleaning wipes, tuff stuff (a multipurpose foam cleaner for fabric, carpet and vinyl, tire gloss (foaming), a wash and glass cleaner. I just wanted to see if any of yall have used any of it and what you thought of it, or if you know of any dashs cracking because of it.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via MSN to dudeitsdylan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
I got an armor all pack with a few different products in it. I have heard the the dashboard cleaner isnt good. It came with the origional protectant, interior cleaning wipes, tuff stuff (a multipurpose foam cleaner for fabric, carpet and vinyl, tire gloss (foaming), a wash and glass cleaner. I just wanted to see if any of yall have used any of it and what you thought of it, or if you know of any dashs cracking because of it.
I got something similar, if not the same pack. I would also like to know.
dudeitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
good question cause i use the armor all protectant wipes on my dash and I keep hearing people say not to use them.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Armor all is like the Jose Cuervo of tequila which means it's all advertisement hype and it sucks.

Vinyl & Rubber
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Armor all is like the Jose Cuervo of tequila which means it's all advertisement hype and it sucks.

Vinyl & Rubber
hahaha never heard it referred to as that.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've always used Armor All and never had a problem with any of it.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i don't use any AA product but the wheel protectant....the wash isn't bad, and the tuff stuff that comes in the kit works ok, but don't use the dash protectant...that stuff is murder on vinyl

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to MACh237 Send a message via Skype™ to MACh237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i don't use any AA product but the wheel protectant....the wash isn't bad, and the tuff stuff that comes in the kit works ok, but don't use the dash protectant...that stuff is murder on vinyl
Agree!! The more you using Armor All for the dash, faster the vinyl will dry and it will crack on sunlight... BTW, when your purchase your car brand new at the dealership, there is no gloss finish on your dash.. So my way, i just using some clean water with a microfiber towel and i got the original finish and i keep my vinyl free of cracking!
- 2012 Aldo Beel Leather Shoes (Daily Ride)
MACh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Thanks guys, thats what I wanted to know.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just a question here. But does anyone have any actual proof of Armor All causing your dash to crack?.. Reason I'm asking is because I've used the stuff since I bought my first car back in 1998. I even use it on my leather, and I'm the only one that I know who doesn't have any cracks or any other problems.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Just a question here. But does anyone have any actual proof of Armor All causing your dash to crack?.. Reason I'm asking is because I've used the stuff since I bought my first car back in 1998. I even use it on my leather, and I'm the only one that I know who doesn't have any cracks or any other problems.
My 2 bits:
In the 70's, you had AA and that was pretty much it. Some used WD40(yuck) Dash's were also crap and usually would split at the speaker perforations. I used AA on my Power Wagon since new and on others and never had a problem.
A friend rubbed it on his dash and it split. It wasn't the AA, it was a neglected dash that split from pressure. Dash material is better now and I would not worry about it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

The issues that I have heard is that once the AA is used over and over then stopped,that's when the dry rot starts.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so in short, people are just saying Armor All is bad for your car just based off what they heard. And less about fact. Now I'll agree it's not the best out there, personally I like Meguiars the most, but it's not a bad product. Especially for the price.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
The issues that I have heard is that once the AA is used over and over then stopped,that's when the dry rot starts.
Yes from what I heard as long as you keep up with it you are fine, it's once you use it over a period of time than just stop that it may start to crack, that's also just what I heard and have never had it crack my dash...I like the stuff, it's cheap that's a plus too
Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

I still say it's a bad product because IMO it's cheap. It sprays and spreads like water which means you have to use more. I worked for a detail shop that was about quanity not quality and their method of dressing the interior was to soak it with AA and use the air hose to spread it. It a fast method that works but it's a horrible way to dress a cars interior. When you work at reputable shop that has high quality materials it's hard to go back to the cheaper stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I still say it's a bad product because IMO it's cheap. It sprays and spreads like water which means you have to use more. I worked for a detail shop that was about quanity not quality and their method of dressing the interior was to soak it with AA and use the air hose to spread it. It a fast method that works but it's a horrible way to dress a cars interior. When you work at reputable shop that has high quality materials it's hard to go back to the cheaper stuff.
I use the wipes... Wouldn't use the spray
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

I use the wipes... Wouldn't use the spray
I like the wipes more just because they are easier.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post

I like the wipes more just because they are easier.
So the wipes are ok to use.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

So how do y'all get into the cracks in the dash,gauges,steering,shifter,ect ect ect and in your air vents with a wipe?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
So how do y'all get into the cracks in the dash,gauges,steering,shifter,ect ect ect and in your air vents with a wipe?
I have brushes and tools I use to get wipes in tight spots. Meguires user here, doesn't leave a sheen or slippery surface. I use aa on the work truck because it's cheap. Everything gets a liberal coating once a month or so. 01 f250 with 190k on it. No issues thus far
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post

So the wipes are ok to use.
All of it is actually ok to use. It's just that the wipes are easier and the spray can make bit of a mess if your not careful.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
I agree with DDTCM. I used it once on a hot tub cover and it cracked the hell out of it. As someone who details cars, as a hobby, I despise ArmorAll! The best stuff I have used is 303 Aerospace, I also like Surf City garage Voodoo Blend leather rejuvenator. For vents I suggest SprayWay instant shine. All of which can be found at www.topoftheline.com
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have been using Armor All on my vehicles for the last 19 years and have had no problems; at what point should it start to ruin my stuff? Should I wait longer?
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I have been using Armor All on my vehicles for the last 19 years and have had no problems; at what point should it start to ruin my stuff? Should I wait longer?
Yes.....wait until next week. That's when your car with fall apart and you will be stuck on the side of the road.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
It seems to me when it drys it hardens things which isn't good. But if you apply constantly it works fine. I just hate how it feels, and if it gets on the glass it smears, and it smells.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

It seems to me when it drys it hardens things which isn't good. But if you apply constantly it works fine. I just hate how it feels, and if it gets on the glass it smears, and it smells.
What are some good products to use.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

http://www.topoftheline.com/16oz303vinpr.html
^ this stuff is the best! You can try dash away. I buy almost all my products from topoftheline.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

So 303 Aero Space is recommended by most companies
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
I've used it 30 years with no problems wat so ever. There's better stuff out now, but I'm not a bit afraid to use AA.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I've used it 30 years with no problems wat so ever. There's better stuff out now, but I'm not a bit afraid to use AA.
True. When money is tight ill use AA, otherwise ill use Meguiars.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

the people in here that are saying AA is great use it without swapping to other stuff or stopping the process then starting up again a period of time later...i'll vouch for seeing it crack vinyl when the car was parked for 7 months and use to be AA'd weekly before that. so no eturner it's not just what people have heard, some of us saying we dont' use it actually have our reasons. however i have used meguiars products on and off for long periods of time ,and nothing ever happens but dust

Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
http://www.topoftheline.com/16oz303vinpr.html
^ this stuff is the best! You can try dash away. I buy almost all my products from topoftheline.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

So 303 Aero Space is recommended by most companies
Thanks ill check it out.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

303 is great stuff....so is F21...i use F21 by TW for all my hoses under the hood and dash work

Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
303 is great stuff....so is F21...i use F21 by TW for all my hoses under the hood and dash work
Is the f21 silicone base or something else. Do most parts stores have it?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
the people in here that are saying AA is great use it without swapping to other stuff or stopping the process then starting up again a period of time later...i'll vouch for seeing it crack vinyl when the car was parked for 7 months and use to be AA'd weekly before that. so no eturner it's not just what people have heard, some of us saying we dont' use it actually have our reasons. however i have used meguiars products on and off for long periods of time ,and nothing ever happens but dust
Back in '98 I bought my first car. A '96 Monte-Carlo Z34, I would wash, wax, and detail that car every week using nothing but Amore All. I did that with that car until 2006 when I punched a hole in one of the heads. The car sat parked in the sun for about four years until I got rid of it in 2010. 4 years dude with no cracks in the leather or the dash. 4 years of nothing touching that dash or the leather. I'm not saying AA is the best out there, but until this thread I've never heard anyone have any complaints about it, outside of saying it leaves bit of a Greasy Residue. Which it does. So perhaps it was something else that caused that vinyl to crack. 8 years of having AA used on it every week only to go 4 years with nothing, I would say that's a pretty good testament against those rumors.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

really? i hear complaints all the time at work from customers. maybe you got lucky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing