How can I make my car's paint shine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How can I make my car's paint shine?

Hey, I own a White 2001 Mustang Convertable, and I want it's paint to look great. But I keep being told my car has a clear coat, I know clear coat is sensitive I've been told in many ways, but why? And what's the difference between clear coat, and other paint jobs on other cars. I'd like to be enlightened, the more info the better. Thanks!

Oh and is there any Car wax better than Turtle wax? Just out of curiosity, because I used turtle wax, and it worked very well for the scratches, and the look. I was very satisfied.
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

There 2 types of paint. Single Stage and Clear Coat.

Single Stage is a paint that uses no clear coat but will you 4-6 mil of paint.

Clear Coat is a paint that will use 1 - 2 mil of paint and then spray a clear coat over it to protect it.

If you wax/wash/clean a single stage paint, you will always have your rag turn that color because the paint will rub off due to no clear coat.

On a clear coated car, your rag will never turn a color unless the entire clear coat peals off or goes away. Not very likely unless you have a terrible sun eaten paint job.

Anyhoo, for you clear coated mustang. If you have never waxed it or given it a good wash, you need to do a nice clay bar job on it and a couple of coats of wax. With this it will shine like new given you clear coat is still in good condition.

Clay bar is a bar of clay that you rub on your paint that takes all the contaminates off of your paint. You can tell if you rub your hand on your paint, you will feel little pricks, scuffs, and hard spots of water. The clay bar removes this.

http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html

Wax, is a layer of wax that protects, and restores clear coat or singe stage. You want to buy a wax that is abrasive, it will say "cleaner wax" on the box. Throw a layer on it, wait a bit, then throw another layer on. You will be impressed. Zymol makes a very good cleaner wax and it smells good to boot.

http://www.zymol.com/index.aspx

good luck, email me if you have more car cleaning questions
nels91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Clear coat is the outer protective layer. It seals the pigments and oils underneath it. It is, as the name implies, transparent. The best car care materials out there come form a German company called "Klasse." These products can be found on the internet. I know of NO store that carries this product line-up. It is SO good, a car waxed in in seems to glow at night, even. I wouldn't be surprised if it was photo-chemically reactive. It seems to keep the undercoat (color coat) lubricated and liquidy while charging the clear-coat layer with a hardener. The results are truly, scientifically, WOW!!
odam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Im not an expert at these things but I will try to help. Almost all vehicles have clear coats on them and I think its sensitive because its not very thick. Also I think people say its sensitive because it makes scratches more visible. Since it is clear light goes through it and hits the paint and reflects back out into the scratches.

To make the paint shine on my 07 charger I just use turtle wax and buff it.
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ok, seriously????? you really & honestly think there is "oil" in a modern basecoat, and that your wax keeps the color "lubricated" while hardening the clearcoat? wow. anyone with internet access can be a contributor, but it takes a special touch to come up with THAT.
culloden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

well, basically every car these days is clear coated
only ones that arent are like early 90's and older

the difference is basically like the other guy said

and i also suggest a clay bar and wax at the least.
but wax doesnt restore shine.

1. wash car

2. clay car-This removes contaminants stuck to your paint that normal washing wont get off. I recommend Meguiar's Smooth surface clay kit. You can also use the clay bar on your windows/wheels too, but of course, do the paint first. Can also wash your car after claying, but isnt necessary

3.paint cleaners-These remove swirl marks/scratches/oxidation/etc. Different strenghts, depending on the severity of the paint. I suggest Meguiars Swirlx. Swirlx may not be aggressive enough, so you may need to step it up to Meguiar's ultimate compound, then follow it with Swirlx.How to use Paint cleaners: after washing and claying your car. Apply the product to a microfiber applicator. Work the product in a 16x16 in section for about a minute, then remove with microfiber towel, dont let dry. Inspect results, repeat process if needed, see if its up to your par, if not, step up to ultimate compound. Otherwise, if youre done with the section, move on and repeat. You apply ultimate compound in the same way.

4.Pure Polish. This step is optional, as if you were to use a paint cleaner, such as the ones mentioned above, since they already have polishing oils in them. You'll notice more of a difference in using a pure polish on darker colors, but wont hurt to do it on lighter colors. Meguirs deep crystal polish is their most user friendly polish. To apply polish, apply to microfiber applicator. Work in about the same size section, kinda message it into the paint (much like applying lotion to your skin) for about 40 seconds, then wipe off with microfiber towel, dont let dry.
Helps more on single stage paints.

Wax:. Protects paint, gives shine, locks in polish. This is the only product you let dry. Apply to microfiber applicator, apply to paint evenly in circle motions. Let dry to haze. Wipe off with microfiber towel. Two applications is best. Also best to wait 12 hours between applications, but if not, wont hurt. Nxt 2.0 tech wax or their gold class wax.

Then, tire shine, cant have shiny paint with horrible dull looking tires. Any will do.

All these products can be found at wal-mart.

Then for the plastic trim/bumpers
Meguiars Natural shine protectant, or supreme shine protectant
It'll make it look like new.
Apply to microfiber towel, wipe on
let dry for 10 min, wipe off

Any questions
email
diwali is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing