Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Fine Scratches?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mustang17 
#1 ·
Any idea how to get fine scratches out of my black paint :-(

#2 ·
Meguiar's scratch x2.0 works pretty good as long as the scratches are new because i used it on my black and my new scratch came out but my old ones they came out for 2 days then came back so it all depends how old and also how deep the scratch is and even after you put the meguiars stuff on make sure to wax the area..goodluck! i hate the scratches on mines especially because it shows greatly on black

#5 ·
To elminate future scratches especially on Black, inspect the cloth that you wash your car with as well as the ones you use to dry before each use! Tiny particles get trapped in cotten towels and in microfiber towels and wash mitts. Especially if you accidently drop it.

You may think by shaking it out that you dislodge them. Perhaps some but definitely not all. Also, don't wash the cloths you use to wash and dry your car with the towels you use when polishing or waxing it!

If any fall on the ground, scrape it! Or use it to clean your wheels or use it inside your car. Just don't use it on the paint!!

Those nasty fine scratches or swirl marks are from dust particles that were on your car or in you cloth prior to washing drying or waxing. Even if you just washed it. They get picked up into the applicator all too easily.

#6 ·
black = scratches and they always show and you cant ever keep them gone :(

dawn detergent wash, dry, rubbing compound (by hand 3m clear coat safe), clay bar, then wax/etc and you should be good to go repeat every year or 6 months.

In between wash with good stuff and dont always go in the same circles reverse them, keep water clean (filtered vs tap) and all that.

#7 ·
+1.

Fresh micro fiber towels... Pat dry (don't rub in circles)... I would substitute ultra fine polish rather than running compound in the above suggestion using a low speed random orbital. And I end up doing this every 3 months... Good wax for black cars is tech wax 2.0.

Daily driver and my finish is better than the day I picked it up. Over 2 years now.

#8 ·
so you guys are saying when even removing wax dont go in circles as you would to apply the wax? I usually go in circles to remove it as well should i not do that?

#9 ·
I'm mainly talking about when I dry the car after washing... I pat down the car with MF.

When I wax and it is time to remove the wax, I'll gently buff circularly but I have a special MF for that... I'm paranoid about MF having dust/contamination that will scratch the finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.