Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Clear coat swirls on black car... Help!

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Grove2504 
#1 ·
I come seeking help in fixing what was supposed to my mothers gift. I have a black 2012 mustang that my mother thought she would have waxed for me by surprise. As you have probably figured out, her cheap wax job destroyed my clear coat. Looks like some dummy went at it with a cheap orbital. There are clear coat swirl scratches covering g the car bumper to bumper. Any chance of saving it or did my mother just ruin my new car?

#2 ·
Rubbing compound (clear coat safe)... On a random orbital (low-med speed)... Then repeat using 3 different polishes (progressively finer), then good wax.

I'd that doesn't fix it, body shop. They can wetsand, re clear, wet sand some more and polish.

Isn't the end of the world. Paint isn't damaged

#3 ·
I don't even want to think about what a body shop would charge to wet sand a car. Sounds painful but I guess it is what it is. Can anyone suggest polish's, I have only used turtle wax black box so far. It's a mild polish then a carnuba wax.

#4 ·
For the rubbing compound, macguires ultimate compound.

For the polishes, I've used Griot's 1, 3, 4 polishes.

#7 · (Edited)
Orange foam Rubbing compound.

Black foam (softer) for polish.

Follow the instructions on the compound or polish... Typically you coat the pad fully like buttering toast. Light pressure. Always moving.

Pattern is important here... Over every spot, you'll eventually make 8-12 passes. But flow and pattern where you go one direction row by row, then go the perpendicular direction... And so on.

#12 ·
She took it to a small car wash place down the street. I avoid the place because I never see any nice cars there... Or anyone there really. I usually wash and detail my car myself so things like this won't happen

I will take a look at the Adams website and see what it has to say as well.

#13 ·
Zaino, they make a complete detailing kit, check them out. Your car will look better than it did when it left the factory. It's the only thing serious car collectors use. Do not wet sand or use a buffer, you'll just compound the problem. Those are two things that should be left to a professional. Google Zaino Store

#20 ·
no matter how hard you try you will never keep a black car perfect and it will have swirls from just .... nothing (wind blowing perhaps.... :D) lol

you just have to keep up with the upkeep like every month very regularly, this is why I wont own a black car again that I daily driver EVER

#21 ·
yea.... as much as I like my black cars Im about done with them. It's constant upkeep and perfection is always just out of reach. Im thinking a dark grey may be the way i go next... thats a long way from now so nothing I'm going to worry about now.

I gave the mothers swirl and scratch remover a try earlyer and was happy with the result. Its a temporary fix as I know it is just covering up the imperfections but is made me feel a little better lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.