Mustang Evolution Forum banner

efficient way to remove Caked on dirt?

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  99ford 
#1 ·
Anyone know a efficient way to get caked on dirt off of a car without having to wipe it with a wet towel and risk scratching the clear coat? Also keep in mind that this is a home wash, not taking it to get power washed. Any specific products like california gold? Let me know!:headbang:

#3 ·
+1

Let it soak and break down first, or at least soften up a bit. I wouldn't put any special products or scrub on it, since you'd be taking a chance of scratching the finish. Just good old fashioned soap and water should work.

#4 ·
I have owned a black stang and stressed about washing it since 2005 and in 2010 I finally took the leap of buying my own pressure washer and dont regret it at all. I can take my time at home washing my car and still have a high pressure water jet available. That being said I know Meguiars instant detailer is known to lubricate grit and protect clearcoats and that is what I would reccomend in your situation. Good luck

#8 ·
Any decent hardware store will carry them, and they range from around $100 for more basic to several hundred or more for higher pressure models. I've owned several power washers, you can get electric or gas, the difference being the pressure you get out of them. Electrics are going to be around 1500 psi, where a decent gas one can be up to or over 4000 psi. The trouble is that you HAVE to be careful with the higher PSI models. Depending on the pressure being used in combination with the tip being used, you can cut right through flesh and do some damage to yourself or your car. Most models will have tips you can change on the end of the sprayer wand, and have a more or less concentrated spray stream. A zero would be the most powerful, 15 would be less powerful than the zero, 25 would be less powerful than the 0 and 15, and so on... Just be careful with whatever you end up getting.

#9 ·
+1 my gas powered one i make extra sure to only have the 35º tip on before getting anywhere close to my car. And even that tip will take off paint up close if used on my truck which has a couple peeling paint spots already. I have a foaming soap attatchment and it really cuts down on time spent scrubbing. And i got mine at Lowes I do think it was on sale

#10 ·
roushcoyotepony said:
+1 my gas powered one i make extra sure to only have the 35º tip on before getting anywhere close to my car. And even that tip will take off paint up close if used on my truck which has a couple peeling paint spots already. I have a foaming soap attatchment and it really cuts down on time spent scrubbing. And i got mine at Lowes I do think it was on sale
So since I'd really be using it for just my car, should I get a electric one with a decent amount of power?

#11 ·
I bought an electric one at first and I wasn't satisfied with it. It worked, and worked well enough to wash the car, but I wanted to use it for stuff around my house. That wasn't quite powerful enough for that, so I sold it and bought a gas one.

I bought mine last spring when Home Depot had a great sale going on, it's a Honda power-washer (which is a great one), and gets up to 4000psi, came with 4 tips, and 2 sections of hose for $275. The extra long hose makes it nice for home projects, power-washing sidewalks and siding, etc.. It's also got a hose to mix soap into the water with as you spray, so it does it all for what I wanted. I use the weakest tip when washing cars, and keep the sprayer at least a foot away or more. You don't have to get close for it to do a good job.

#13 ·
I bought an electric one at first and I wasn't satisfied with it. It worked, and worked well enough to wash the car, but I wanted to use it for stuff around my house. That wasn't quite powerful enough for that, so I sold it and bought a gas one.

I bought mine last spring when Home Depot had a great sale going on, it's a Honda power-washer (which is a great one), and gets up to 4000psi, came with 4 tips, and 2 sections of hose for $275. The extra long hose makes it nice for home projects, power-washing sidewalks and siding, etc.. It's also got a hose to mix soap into the water with as you spray, so it does it all for what I wanted. I use the weakest tip when washing cars, and keep the sprayer at least a foot away or more. You don't have to get close for it to do a good job.
Yeah I got 1500 PSI decided to do my driveway which is extremely long, and wide it took me 3 full days.. They're great to have when the driveway starts getting black. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.