Removing Hard water spots and stains - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Removing Hard water spots and stains

I remember the days when water spots were no big deal and a simple wash would cure most problems. Now days, reclaimed water used in irrigation reaps havoc on those of us who spend hours keeping our cars spotless. I wanted to open up a thread dedicated to the removal of these hard water stains that a simple wash wont remove. I know I have run into some rough stains on my black cars over the years and would like to hear what did or did not work for you.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

In the past I have used a clay bar but it can take hours to remove hard water spots that cover a car. Anyone know of a good product that is easy but still works?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Take a spray bottle fill halfway with water the other half with vinegar....
Works like magic
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This will probably make some cringe but it works.

In a cool, shaded area, make sure the surface is wet. Take an applicator pad and apply some Whink Rust Stain Remover to it. Make sure to only do one panel at a time and add some polish/wax after fully rinsing and washing it. We used this when I was working at various dealers and cars would be rainbowed they had so much hard water residue.

Again, it works but be quick and do a single panel at a time. It can cause damage if you prolong the exposure or do it outside of a shaded area...
JKLiNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Region: California
Scratch x 2.0 from meguirs works perfect...i had waterspots i couldent even get off with a clay bar and the scratch x took it off with ease
ANTFITTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTFITTS View Post
Scratch x 2.0 from meguirs works perfect...i had waterspots i couldent even get off with a clay bar and the scratch x took it off with ease
Gonna try it tommorow
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #7

Region: California
Cool man let me know how it works for you..the water spots on my car were due to really hard water from sprinklers that i could not get off..it worked on my friends black mustang and my custom painted grey mustang
ANTFITTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have used the scratch x as well. Alone it took off most of the spots but there were a few that were still there. I used dish soap to wash the entire car, doing this removes all the wax and other things you may have used in the past. Once I did that I tackled the trouble spots with a 50/50 distiled water and vintager solution. That lightened them up pretty well but you could see the outline of a few still. Then I went at it with the scratch x again being sure to take my time. That did the trick, no more water stains and a freshly waxed car.

I had tried clay bar as well with no luck. I was really concerned that the spots were etching at that point. It took some doing and elbow grease but the method I used worked. Hopefully yours are not as bad as mine. My car got hit by some sprinklers while I was working in a hotel on Miami. It was in valet parking so I had no idea till I got it back 5 days after I arrived... This was easily the worst I had ever seen water spots so you may not need to go as crazy as I did but if you do, this should do the trick.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I bought this car from florida and it has some severe baked in water stains on the hood if these methods work it will truly be a miracle ive clay barred it and polished it with little success I will post some results next week
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing