Best wax. What shines your pony? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy84
What's best way to clean under belly ??
Steam clean then undercoat.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I like the meguiars 3 step process, prep, polish, wax, then finally I'll add the carnauba wax for a final coat. Really brings the shine out.
Every few days after that I spray the 15 min quick wax that meguiars sells.
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I prefer paint sealant over wax, it gives a great shine and lasts longer on the clearcoat than wax will, and if you do it right it can last for a long time just don't put it on in direct sunlight you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ after trying to take it off. It's a little more expensive but works. I have to say though if I was going to use a wax I would go with the carnauba wax, it's probably one of the best brands out today.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang19
Personally I prefer paint sealant over wax, it gives a great shine and lasts longer on the clearcoat than wax will, and if you do it right it can last for a long time just don't put it on in direct sunlight you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ after trying to take it off. It's a little more expensive but works. I have to say though if I was going to use a wax I would go with the carnauba wax, it's probably one of the best brands out today.
Sealants are designed to be used before waxes. Layering a carnauba (name for natural wax as a chemical not a brand) gives the best shine. Using both is the way to get the best protection and shine.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

Sealants are designed to be used before waxes. Layering a carnauba (name for natural wax as a chemical not a brand) gives the best shine. Using both is the way to get the best protection and shine.
+1 Awesome post.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

So I should strip the old wax off. Dry car.
Use a carnauba wax. Then what ever other wax I use? I'm confused
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I only use Meguiars products.
Billd25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I used today. Meguiars liquid wax

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1276302865.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	93899
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350 View Post

If youre going to use a sealant, yes, strip your old wax off (with original Dawn), apply the sealant than apply the wax of your choice.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
They're selling zymol at Wally World now.... Just saw it last night.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

Here's the list of what to do completely.

1. Wash the car completely. I start with a jet wash then go to the 2 bucket system.

2. Clay bar the entire car. Use lots of lube. Fold clay often.

3. Rinse car down with jet wash again to remove clay residue.

4. Dry the car carefully. This is the most dangerous step.

5 I now would analyze if you need paint correction with compound /polish etc. If so. Now is the time.

6 sealant. Apply sealant to whole car. Then come back and wipe it to a shine. I would use ammo skin for this stage. It is possible to allow it to sit longer but it will get harder to take off.

7 wait 24 hrs so the sealant can properly cure to the paint. This is crucial. Even if all you can do is leave it overnight. Just let it sit.

8. Carnauba wax. I prefer a paste. Some prefer a bottled liquid. Whatever. (ammo creme for me) Apply carnauba wax one panel at a time. Once you apply one panel take it off the previous one. No need to let it dry too long. That's about as good as it gets.

9. When washing you won't take off the sealant. (at least with a mild car soap like ammo foam... Notice a theme?)

10. Drying with a sealant refresher (only one I know is ammo hydrate but it's magic stuff.) then reapply carnauba wax via quick spray wax (ammo spit). This system builds a awesome layer of protection and shine for guys who want to drive the **** out of their cars. It's about 170$ for everything but it lasts a long time and looks awesome.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's the list of what to do completely.

1. Wash the car completely. I start with a jet wash then go to the 2 bucket system.

2. Clay bar the entire car. Use lots of lube. Fold clay often.

3. Rinse car down with jet wash again to remove clay residue.

4. Dry the car carefully. This is the most dangerous step.

5 I now would analyze if you need paint correction with compound /polish etc. If so. Now is the time.

6 sealant. Apply sealant to whole car. Then come back and wipe it to a shine. I would use ammo skin for this stage. It is possible to allow it to sit longer but it will get harder to take off.

7 wait 24 hrs so the sealant can properly cure to the paint. This is crucial. Even if all you can do is leave it overnight. Just let it sit.

8. Carnauba wax. I prefer a paste. Some prefer a bottled liquid. Whatever. (ammo creme for me) Apply carnauba wax one panel at a time. Once you apply one panel take it off the previous one. No need to let it dry too long. That's about as good as it gets.

9. When washing you won't take off the sealant. (at least with a mild car soap like ammo foam... Notice a theme?)

10. Drying with a sealant refresher (only one I know is ammo hydrate but it's magic stuff.) then reapply carnauba wax via quick spray wax (ammo spit). This system builds a awesome layer of protection and shine for guys who want to drive the **** out of their cars. It's about 170$ for everything but it lasts a long time and looks awesome.
Sounds good. I do everything except the sealant. I need paint correction on my hood. Can't see it in pics tho.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm a fan of meguires products myself!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you can use wax after, it's not something I'm real crazy about doing but yeah it does give an extra shine. I also find sealants work better when you take it off with a buffer after letting it sit.

Also for anyone here with newer paint on their car, don't paint seal it! You will be kicking yourself in the a$$ after if you do. This isn't something I have done myself but I have always been told not to do because when paint is curing it takes time for the sovlents in it to escape, sometimes it can be a few days sometimes it can be a few months. Anyway if you put a sealant on, the solvents will be trapped and you will more than likley need to get it painted again.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang19

Yeah you can use wax after, it's not something I'm real crazy about doing but yeah it does give an extra shine. I also find sealants work better when you take it off with a buffer after letting it sit.

Also for anyone here with newer paint on their car, don't paint seal it! You will be kicking yourself in the a$$ after if you do. This isn't something I have done myself but I have always been told not to do because when paint is curing it takes time for the sovlents in it to escape, sometimes it can be a few days sometimes it can be a few months. Anyway if you put a sealant on, the solvents will be trapped and you will more than likley need to get it painted again.
Sealants are really designed as a protective layer. Not as a wax substitute necessarily. As for new paint, by the time you get a new car it is ready for a sealant. If you had a car resprayed then you may need to wait a week or two before using a sealant.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

If youre going to use a sealant, yes, strip your old wax off (with original Dawn), apply the sealant than apply the wax of your choice.
I wouldn't use Dawn. Call me paranoid, but dish soap is a bit too harsh for paint.
Claying strips all the wax off and has the bonus of removing other garbage in your paint.
Believe it or not, the soap you use makes a huge difference in your paint quality.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

I wouldn't use Dawn. Call me paranoid, but dish soap is a bit too harsh for paint.
Claying strips all the wax off and has the bonus of removing other garbage in your paint.
Believe it or not, the soap you use makes a huge difference in your paint quality.
Um, read around. People have been using Dawn for strip down for decades with no issues. I detail my car every week and clay every month. I use both Meguiar's and Zaino for my 2-bucket system. But, you know, feel free to school me more on car soap.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Lol

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I still am thinking about when it gets nice enough to wash , clay, seal, wax what products to use ... All my stuff is meguires so probably stick with that but they have a clay or no
Jimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sealants are really designed as a protective layer. Not as a wax substitute necessarily. As for new paint, by the time you get a new car it is ready for a sealant. If you had a car resprayed then you may need to wait a week or two before using a sealant.
Yeah I know sealants are mean't as a protective layer, I just never really thought of using wax after sealing a car. I also mean't respray for new paint, I have been working in a couple body shops for a while now and have heard all the horror stories of what happens.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #55
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Alrighty then... Since you strictly said "wax" then I won't answer that question because I strictly use ZAINO and as we both know or at least I do. ZAINO is a polish.

As for the No Spotting? You must have a Soft water system or rather a Water Softner system installed or use only soft water to wash and rinse your car. You'll have Zero spots & a very Clean car.

But here's another suggestion. keep a squirt bottle filled with Distilled water in your car and use that with a clean microfiber cloth to wipe down your care. l hate dust and birdpoo and go ballistic if l find even the tinyest scratch. Distilled water also doesn't spot.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Here is a pic of mine washed, Clayed, polished, and waxed all with Adams products

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-263627588.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	94250
Zaks06GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing