Best wax. What shines your pony? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Best wax. What shines your pony?

Ok guys, we were talking about what the best wax to use on your car is. We are talkin about wax, not polish. What is the best wax and the best product that will keep us from having water spots. Give us the list. What is the best?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've tried a lot (black cars are rather difficult).

I've really liked the results of meguire's tech wax 2.0. Deepest black I've found.

Turtle wax ice was decent, but just get the same depth of black and lasting shine.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
I've tried a lot (black cars are rather difficult).

I've really liked the results of meguire's tech wax 2.0. Deepest black I've found.

Turtle wax ice was decent, but just get the same depth of black and lasting shine.
Awesome. My black truck is the same way. You can see every finger print. Kills me.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Colonite 845, check it out on the AutoGeek forums and website. It's very long lasting wax. It's not something you can buy over the counter locally. I've also used Meguair's successfully on my black SVT Cobra. The key to a good wax shine is proper prepping of the paint. A very good wash followed up with claying the paint to remove contaminants. I recommend you join the AutoGeek forum it is filled with tips and tricks and many threads on the best finish for black cars.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Colonite 845 it isn't the glossiest but it lasts 4+ months no joke. I have used it on my mustang once and I bought my car in July. My brother uses it on his 2012 charge rt as well and loves it.
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
I use Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax. Looks great on all colors. Easy on/off even in full sun. I haven't tried their cherry wet wax but others swear by it.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Heres a question. Is it ever too cold outside to use a wax? Supposed to be like 40° here, which is the best it'll get for awhile. I plan to wash the pony later, might just wax it too.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Meguiars ultimate for longevity and protection. Turtle Wax Carnuba paste wax has best shine and depth. Layer a sealant under a carnuba for best of both worlds, auto geek is a great suggestion to learn about waxes/sealants/polish and prep.

Wax! It's almost as bad as an oil thread. Whatever you try and like is the best for you!

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Heres a question. Is it ever too cold outside to use a wax? Supposed to be like 40° here, which is the best it'll get for awhile. I plan to wash the pony later, might just wax it too.
Sealants need to bond to the surface and take longer to 'cure'. Not too cold, but I'd wax at 40F+ To ensure a good bond. If its warm enough to wash its warm enough to wax.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Meguiars ultimate for longevity and protection. Turtle Wax Carnuba paste wax has best shine and depth. Layer a sealant under a carnuba for best of both worlds, auto geek is a great suggestion to learn about waxes/sealants/polish and prep.

Wax! It's almost as bad as an oil thread. Whatever you try and like is the best for you!

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Sealants need to bond to the surface and take longer to 'cure'. Not too cold, but I'd wax at 40F+ To ensure a good bond. If its warm enough to wash its warm enough to wax.
That's kind of how it started. Someone asked about wax. I told him it'd be personal preference but wanted to know what everybody liked.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicrodder View Post
I use Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax. Looks great on all colors. Easy on/off even in full sun. I haven't tried their cherry wet wax but others swear by it.
+1 on the jax wax. It's really good stuff. I use the cherry wax and it really does give the paint a wet look.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post

+1 on the jax wax. It's really good stuff. I use the cherry wax and it really does give the paint a wet look.
Does it last and repel water?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post

Does it last and repel water?
Yea it is a natural wax so it has a greater shine but a less hardy nature than a synthetic. I put on the last coat about 3 months ago and it still has a wet shine. I love this stuff. I've used meguiars and mothers and I feel that since they are household names they skimp a little on the quality compared to jax. It still beads like crazy even after 3 months. Their spray wax, or detailer wax is also great and doesn't leave a residue like other brands.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post

Yea it is a natural wax so it has a greater shine but a less hardy nature than a synthetic. I put on the last coat about 3 months ago and it still has a wet shine. I love this stuff. I've used meguiars and mothers and I feel that since they are household names they skimp a little on the quality compared to jax. It still beads like crazy even after 3 months. They're spray wax, or detailer wax is also great and doesn't leave a residue like other brands.
Where do you get it?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Jaxwax.com
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax is durable but is not a concern to me as I can wax the stang in about 20 minutes. Nothing else is so easy.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where do you get it?
I believe jegs had it cheaper than their own site.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I use mequires carnauba wax it works good and smells amazing !!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's kind of how it started. Someone asked about wax. I told him it'd be personal preference but wanted to know what everybody liked.
Ok, gotcha. I like the Turtle Wax black box kit for black cars. It's a cleaner wax and carnuba wax kit, two stages. Always have a great result.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I use CG sealant and DODO juice. All can be found at Autogeek.net plus much more.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
How often to wax? And my car is also black .. Wanted to know best way to wash ... Being sponge or just car wash spraying it down .. How do I get the real grime off without scratches ?...
Jimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy84 View Post
How often to wax? And my car is also black .. Wanted to know best way to wash ... Being sponge or just car wash spraying it down .. How do I get the real grime off without scratches ?...
Check out autogeek.com as said before, they spell out all steps.

Basically

1. Rinse car with hose
2. Use microfiber wash mit/sponge in car wash bucket or terry cloth/sheep skin
3. Rinse sponge in rinse bucket
4. Rinse car with hose ( top down one section at a time: roof, hood, grill, top half of each side, bottom half of each side, back of car, wheels.)
5. Dry with clean shammy or microfiber towel
6. Wax
7. Detail wheels and trim

Wash weekly or bi-weekly and wax when the car no longer beads water (1-3months depending on product/environment)

Clay bar once a year after a wash and wash again before waxing (clay removes bonded contaminants and other wax)

At least that's the method I like to use that keeps off scratches and dirt. There are many small variations of washing, so research and do what your comfortable with.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I'm not trying to be condescending, just wanted to have a clear outline! 😬
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy84 View Post
IMO..I would never use a sponge as it collects everything. I only wash using a very good soap (Meg's etc) and a microfiber mitt or towel. I also always use a two bucket system with a grit guard. One bucket soap and then rinse microfiber out in clean bucket to remove any particles. The grit guard allows any particles to settle at the bottom so you have no risk of marring the paint. If you have dollars to spare a foam gun is really the way to go...never used one but have seen how awesome they are.

I actually treat my paint with a sealant every six months and apply a quality wax ( Dodo Juice Light Fantastic) every thirty days. In spring I hit the panels with Meg's 205 with a white pad and low pressure to remove any minor imperfections and prior waxings. In addition ONCE a year before applying Meg's 205 I was the car with Dawn dish soap to remove any oils or other products on the panels and then do a full claying. I have yet to try a waterless wash, but plan on trying some this season. As I mentioned Dodo Juice makes waxes for all colors...for my car Light Fantastic is my personal fav.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Colonite 845, check it out on the AutoGeek forums and website. It's very long lasting wax. It's not something you can buy over the counter locally. I've also used Meguair's successfully on my black SVT Cobra. The key to a good wax shine is proper prepping of the paint. A very good wash followed up with claying the paint to remove contaminants. I recommend you join the AutoGeek forum it is filled with tips and tricks and many threads on the best finish for black cars.
just in case you were not aware if you become a VIP member on Autogeek you also get a 10% discount.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Best wax I've come across for daily usage is Blitz Wax. Stuff lasts forever and then after each was I use a little Eagle One Nano Spray Wax. As for cleaning the car, NO SPONGES PLEASE! You're just pushing dirt around and across your paint. Need something to trap the dirt. I really like the products from http://www.adamspolishes.com/. Got a lot and been very pleased with all the cleaning and dress up products I've purchased.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Having a black car I've learned the best way to maintain it is to have as little contact with the car as possible. I dont have a real foam gun but I have a wand I bought on seasonal closeout at Target for $5. It has a container to hold car wash soap. I use Meguiar's gold wash mixed with a bit of waterless wash fluid which makes it very slick. I soap up the car from top to bottom with that. Then rinse. Then wash using 2 bucket method with grit guard and microfiber mitts. I use 3 buckets. 1 rinse 1 wash for top 2/3's of car and 1 wash for lower 1/3 and wheels. Then I dry it with a leaf blower. This gets 95% of the water off, especially the stuff in cracks and behind mirrors. Always do it in shade to avoid water spots. Finally I wipe it dry with my best microfiber cloths. Another way is to do final dry with detailing spray. That way you are never wiping a cloth across the car dry. Black is hard and scratches so easy. Last year on advice from Autogeek experts I used sealant after I detailed with Meguiar's DA Microfiber kit and a Griots Garage 6" DA Buffer. I put 3 coats of sealer on it. Then I waxed with Optimum Quick Car wax. Just spray and wipe. It has UV inhibitors and was designed by a chemist who designed clear coat. It protects clear coat. Then after washes I used Optimum quick detailer which refreshes the wax. It has UV inhibitors in it too. The sealant was also from Optimum. It was like $39.00. If you watch Autogeek they have great BOGO Sales. This is the best way to stock up on chemicals and MF Towels. Don't skimp on MF Towels.

Our Cobra is our fun car, not a daily driver and is garaged. So sometimes when it's just dusty I go to the local do it yourself car wash and soap it up and rinse it off rather than drag everything out at home. Plus my local car wash has shade. NEVER use an automatic car wash with brushes! This will scratch the crap out of your car. I'm no expert, and I'm still learning, but I've learned a lot from Autogeek. I bought their downloadable E-book for $14. Well worth it. Also many of the people on there are professional detailers and are very willing to help. I have a standing offer from one guy to take my car and my detailing equipment to his shop and he will show me how to do paint correction properly.

One last thing, also go on Meguiar's forum. They go around the country and offer seminars on their products. I went last year and the rep used my car as a demo. I got my paint thickness read by him with an $800 meter, it was still 75-85% of the clear coat there. And he corrected and detailed my hood. That was cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3161393962.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	90652

Name:	image-1712379360.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	90653
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A wax alone won't give you very good results. Sure it looks good for a bit but any carnauba wax will evaporate off right away. Of You want to get an amazing system for amazing protection and shine check out ammonyc.Com. It's amazing stuff and with the proper work will keep your ride looking great for years.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

One of the things I was told was that wax will attract and trap dust, dirt, pollen, and sealant won't. This seemed to be true. I drove around with just the sealant for about a month. Before you use sealant you need to totally strip the finish of any old wax. I use dawn for this, but their are also some chemicals made just for this that won't harm the paint. I can't wait until the weather is warm enough to detail the car. It's currently 33 here in Reading PA. I missed my opportunity in January when it was 60, I was sick those 2 days.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

What do you find is the best product for chrome wheels to seal and protect them. Right now I'm using Meguiar's chrome wheel polish. It looks great when I do it, but it doesn't seem to hold up. Also do you use a polishing product like the Mothers or Meguiar's foam bullet attachment for your drill?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I use meguiars nxt tech wax or ultimate liquid wax. I find meguiars is the best name in car care hands down.
ZangStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Zaino everytime

http://youtu.be/sXiQxfirn1k
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Have any of u guys used the wet obsession wax on obsessivedetail . com? Looks amazing from the customer pics ive seen on there. Pretty pricey tho
Moostaang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What i do is if your finish is in good shape is use a good cleaner wax first megs or mothers then top it with collinite 476s double coat wax the wax is super durable and will still bead for a few months after.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My weekly choice, wash and wax when I get the chance bi monthly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car_care.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	92792  
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
DWG International - Manufacturer of Dri Wash 'n Guard (its not a wax). Keeps my cars in amazing shape been using it on all vehicles for about 14 years.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I use Adams Buttery Wax or AutoGlym HD wax
Zaks06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
What's best way to clean under belly ??
Jimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing