Paint chips and clear coat coming off??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Paint chips and clear coat coming off???

So I was outside checkout out my stang when I notice a lot of paint chips and my clear coat is Also coming off! I recently purchased the car a couple of months ago, so I guess it's from the previous owners neglect. There are also scratches there that I have just noticed. And special products I should use to help get rid of all the chips? Anyway to help the clear coat? Also, my brothers stang is beyond messed up in the front. Any remedies for that, too?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2351588576.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	90087

Name:	image-2341571853.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	90088

Name:	image-3422567044.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	90089

Name:	image-1164595910.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	90090

Name:	image-823692059.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	90091

Name:	image-2952728605.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	90093

Name:	image-3610997402.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	90094

Name:	image-1735529769.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	90092
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
U can get touch up paint for really bad spots that are all the way to the primer. If a scuff is not all the way to the primer, you will be able to polish it out. If the scratch it deep ad you have to use touch up paint, if it is identical, you will not be able to tell it from a distance. You will barely see it up close.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The clear coat problem, not much you can do but have it redone. My has the same thing going on. I have an appointment to have it fixed in a couple weeks
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedfireGt View Post
The clear coat problem, not much you can do but have it redone. My has the same thing going on. I have an appointment to have it fixed in a couple weeks
How much is that going to run you about?
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post

How much is that going to run you about?
Remember, u get what you pay for on paint. A 500$ paint job will last about 500$ worth. You can get enamel paints with clear in them for cheaper than a base coat clear coat system. The PPG DAR 9000 black is about as cheap as it gets for PPG paints
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post

Remember, u get what you pay for on paint. A 500$ paint job will last about 500$ worth. You can get enamel paints with clear in them for cheaper than a base coat clear coat system. The PPG DAR 9000 black is about as cheap as it gets for PPG paints
Yea, if I were to get a new paint job id spend about $5000
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Lol! I'd think it run u about 2,500 for the real deal without having a lot goin on with the paint. I've not had anything painted in a while so who knows. The last I heard, they are going with new water based paints. That seems crazy to me.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol! I'd think it run u about 2,500 for the real deal without having a lot goin on with the paint. I've not had anything painted in a while so who knows. The last I heard, they are going with new water based paints. That seems crazy to me.
I also want an EXTREMELY good paint job. Only a step or two down from a mirror image basically lol. Also, I have a couple of dings so they would need to do quite a bit of prepping..
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post

I also want an EXTREMELY good paint job. Only a step or two down from a mirror image basically lol. Also, I have a couple of dings so they would need to do quite a bit of prepping..
Once it's in there, the mirror image comes from an awesome wet sanding and a really good buff and polish. The dings shouldn't be bad to get out depending on placement. If you are serious, just do your homework. Know what goes on your car. Don't be afraid to call and ask places what paint system they use. There are several out there and a lot of the major brands also carry a cheaper version of their product. Look at your door panel. It'll probably say PPG on the sticker. Just don't let them mix brands or anything crazy like that.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Once it's in there, the mirror image comes from an awesome wet sanding and a really good buff and polish. The dings shouldn't be bad to get out depending on placement. If you are serious, just do your homework. Know what goes on your car. Don't be afraid to call and ask places what paint system they use. There are several out there and a lot of the major brands also carry a cheaper version of their product. Look at your door panel. It'll probably say PPG on the sticker. Just don't let them mix brands or anything crazy like that.
Alright man. Thanks for the info
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You do get what you pay for. For my S281 wing an to repair the top where the clear coat is peeling an to fix a chip in my fender is going to cost me 300. Luckly I know the owner if the body shop.
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing