Wow that was a waste of money.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Wow that was a waste of money..

Well, decided I'd clay bar and wax my 01 Cobra for the first time today. Well, I used the clay bar for about 10 minutes and well, that was that. It got a FEW of the imperfections, such as the those black specks you get. But it didn't get near enough. So I got out my bottle of Scratch Out and it did 100 times better and took way lass effort. The carnauba wax was great, but I'm telling you, the clay bar was a waste of time. :/
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a clay bar set but I'm not very sold on it either. Proper maintenance and other car care products will prevent what claying is intended for. I do it once a year maybe when the trees are really bad and love showering my car in sap.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
I have a clay bar set but I'm not very sold on it either. Proper maintenance and other car care products will prevent what claying is intended for. I do it once a year maybe when the trees are really bad and love showering my car in sap.
Yea. It was just disappointing to spend $22 on it, and my $10 bottle of Scratch Out worked 100000 times better. Idk.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pretty much sold on not clay barring my car after reading this. First of all, I am not spending 2 hours hunched over getting all the nooks and crannies. Plus I don't want to pay 22 bucks for a backache. Thanks for the info man, what is the product that you used? Like what is it?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Lol...you either did it wrong or didn't know it's purpose. All the scratch out does is hide imperfections. The clay bar is for removing anything on top of the clear coat.

I spend a weekend once a year on the cobra. Clay, polish, wax.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
Well, decided I'd clay bar and wax my 01 Cobra for the first time today. Well, I used the clay bar for about 10 minutes and well, that was that. It got a FEW of the imperfections, such as the those black specks you get. But it didn't get near enough. So I got out my bottle of Scratch Out and it did 100 times better and took way lass effort. The carnauba wax was great, but I'm telling you, the clay bar was a waste of time. :/
I find clay barring does a great job of getting rid of imperfections, what brand did you use.
ZangStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure I understood the directions.. I used it exactly like it said on the box, and like I said, it did an OK job. But to me, after clay-barring one spot, then compaing it with a spot I used Scratch Out on, it was a no brainer on which one to use. The scratch out did the same thing the clay bar was doing, but better. I'm not going to cause a riot on here over clay-barring, if anyone is debating this go buy a Mother's clay-barring kit, and a bottle of Scratch Out, try them both on similar spots, and tell me which one you would use afterwards. I don't see how it could just "hide" black spots in the paint, especially with it being an abrasive compound, but heck, what do I know. I'm still pretty new to all of it myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I understood the directions.. I used it exactly like it said on the box, and like I said, it did an OK job. But to me, after clay-barring one spot, then compaing it with a spot I used Scratch Out on, it was a no brainer on which one to use. The scratch out did the same thing the clay bar was doing, but better. I'm not going to cause a riot on here over clay-barring, if anyone is debating this go buy a Mother's clay-barring kit, and a bottle of Scratch Out, try them both on similar spots, and tell me which one you would use afterwards. I don't see how it could just "hide" black spots in the paint, especially with it being an abrasive compound, but heck, what do I know. I'm still pretty new to all of it myself.
I'm by all means not trying to start a riot. I just told you it works for me, and I ask the brand you used, I use meguiars.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangStang02

I'm by all means not trying to start a riot. I just told you it works for me, and I ask the brand you used, I use meguiars.
Nah man. It's all good! Lol. We're all family on here. I used the Mothers Clay Barring kit. And like I said, I guess it worked ok, but to me the Scratch-out worked wayyyy better. Haha.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nah man. It's all good! Lol. We're all family on here. I used the Mothers Clay Barring kit. And like I said, I guess it worked ok, but to me the Scratch-out worked wayyyy better. Haha.
A big mustang family! Yea they both work pretty good.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Its designed to clean the paint not take out every imperfection. I think you might be thinking it's supposed to do something that it's not designed to do.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Its designed to clean the paint not take out every imperfection. I think you might be thinking it's supposed to do something that it's not designed to do.
EXACTLY So! It is made to pull out, lift up and remove air born contaminant, metal fragments brakes dust, freeway trash, tree sap, bird poo and airpollutants! Prior to using a machine or by hand polishing. Thus eliminating any chances of the pad or applicator picking it up these fragments and scratching your paint. You won't necessarily see the contaminants on or in your clear coat, like you will the metal fragments (blackspots). But if there's one there is bound to be a lot more. Whatever works for you or works best for you!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Not to insult you, but did you wash the car first with some type of liquid dish soap, like dawn or something...there is a process for this. The clay bar isn't going to remove scratches and stuff. It's going to remove the **** that builds up from driving it on the road, road dirt, tar, and so on. Strip the car all the way down (soap above). Clay bar next, then wash it with car soap (optional for some, just my preference), then wax and polish next or polish and wax...The urban legend is that the liquid soap strips all the other soaps, waxes, polishes, etc off and takes you down to the clear coat. that's where you want to use the clay bar. I'm telling you if you do this process your pony will be as smooth as a baby's bottom...Don't give up...lol Good luck...
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I detail cars as a side job and they all get clay treatment.... i love using them for what they are made to do..which is prep the paint for a glaze before the wax.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I detail cars as a side job and they all get clay treatment.... i love using them for what they are made to do..which is prep the paint for a glaze before the wax.
+10,000.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Guys. I said it did an ok job. Just not what I was looking for. Sorry to upset some of you guys. I was simply saying it was not what I was looking for. Therefore a waste of MY money. Not necessarily everyone else's.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My fingers are getting tired from trying to explain this. Have at it boys!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
My fingers are getting tired from trying to explain this. Have at it boys!
I completely understand its purpose now. Just not what I was looking for. Sorry guys. Didn't mean cause such a ruckus. Lol.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I achieved a higher glossier wet paint look on my black stang when i clayed it and applied wax after...rather than just waxing without claying. Lol if that helps
Moostaang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Clay bar isn't going to fix your paint. Did you rinse your car off and polish it afterwards?
I'll admit. The first time I clay barred, it looked like crap cause I still had residue from the bar on my car. Then I rinsed it off. Low pressure water. Then polished it. And it looked amazing.
Before I started, I laid a fresh microfibres towel on my good. It just sat there. After I finished, I took the same towel, same spot on my hood. And it slid all the way off and on the ground(then I threw it away since the towel touched the ground)
Since then, I have invested in professional clay bars at $34 a piece because it makes your paint pop if done correctly. I have minor blemishes in my clear coat that are gonna be taken care of. I'm sure they are smaller than what you are talking about with your paint. And I didn't expect the clay bar to fix it. It's not a magic bar. It just takes the dust/sand/dirt particles that are embedded or adhered to your clear coat and removes them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3004231527.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	92757

Went from dull to like glass after I rinsed and polished it
And I used the same $22 kit you used. I haven't opened the professional clay bars yet. Saving those for this spring
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How long have you owned this particular stang? A year? 2 years? This is the first time you have clay barred it?
Then it wasn't a waste of your time. Whether it did or didn't do what you were expecting it to do, it obviously did something that will prolong the life of your shiny beast. So don't think it was all for nothing. It may not have gotten any scratches or blemishes out, but hey, you did the clay bar. So now just get some good wax and polish.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I clayed mine and I could tell the difference right away. My paint looked way better after.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing