Good and Cheap Machine Buffer? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Good and Cheap Machine Buffer?

So this weekend i'm going to finally be picking up my first Mustang (2001 Bullitt) and the interior is clean as hell, but the paint could use some work. Nothing major with the paint but it could use some pretty good polishing, so i was wondering if you all know a good machine polisher/buffer that won't break the bank for someone still in High School with pretty small paychecks from work.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is going to be parked outside because the garage is for my parents cars (Hyundai Sonata, and Corvette), i just don't want to take it to a shop and pay a ton of money for a complete detail when i know how to do everything myself and have extreme attention to detail.

Thanks.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
GTYUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park Ridge
Region: Illinois
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
So this weekend i'm going to finally be picking up my first Mustang (2001 Bullitt) and the interior is clean as hell, but the paint could use some work. Nothing major with the paint but it could use some pretty good polishing, so i was wondering if you all know a good machine polisher/buffer that won't break the bank for someone still in High School with pretty small paychecks from work.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is going to be parked outside because the garage is for my parents cars (Hyundai Sonata, and Corvette), i just don't want to take it to a shop and pay a ton of money for a complete detail when i know how to do everything myself and have extreme attention to detail.

Thanks.
My only word of caution would be that you are practiced using a buffer or rotary machine, if yes than great. If not I would suggest buying a Dual Action or DA machine which is very safe and effective. Several choices for less than 300.00 new...not sure on used ones. check out Autogeek.net or other sites for prices and options. I personally have a Meg's G110v2 and love it. Hope that helps.
__________________
2011Premium Grabber Blue GT Convertible -GTYUP

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post

My only word of caution would be that you are practiced using a buffer or rotary machine, if yes than great. If not I would suggest buying a Dual Action or DA machine which is very safe and effective. Several choices for less than 300.00 new...not sure on used ones. check out Autogeek.net or other sites for prices and options. I Peter resonantly have a Meg's G110v2 and love it. Hope that helps.
Thats what Ill be buying soon as I suck with a regular rotary.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
GTYUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park Ridge
Region: Illinois
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Thats what Ill be buying soon as I suck with a regular rotary.
Me too...I will leave the rotary to the pros....I have great SAFE success with my DA.
__________________
2011Premium Grabber Blue GT Convertible -GTYUP

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Iv seen them at autozone but idk much about them or polishing
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher

I learned with a rotary but I've heard that the porter cable is great for a novice.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher

I learned with a rotary but I've heard that the porter cable is great for a novice.
+1 I use the. 7424 for most jobs
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
I used an el cheapo Turtle Wax buffer from WalMart and it worked wonderfully. It costed me all of $25 (not including pads and detailing supplies of course)
It even worked on the wet-toilet-paper-soft gel cost of my carbon fiber hood.
This is 12 year old paint that the previous owner left outside in the sun for 10 years with only a coat of Walmart wax once a year.
It's amazing what determination and (a whole lot of) patience can do even with sh*tty tools.
One of the photos (bluish tinged light on paint) is under a scratch-finder light before and there's an after later on somewhere. Same light, different paint reflections from hazing and swirls.

I threw in some photos of my old black 03 v6, mom's 07, dad's 07, (it's an awful photo, I'm sorry) and my old Corvettes (both with factory paint - 35 and 28 year old paint) for good measure. They were all detailed with the same stuff, same method, same buffer, same me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3788659758.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	91968   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1030522752.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	803.9 KB
ID:	91969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1503396244.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	91970   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-259640517.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	91971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2342400992.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	91972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2416656377.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	91973  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-805288499.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	91974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3551182441.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	958.9 KB
ID:	91975  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-657718096.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	91976   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3400494085.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	91977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2229940179.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	91978   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-209907038.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	819.7 KB
ID:	91979  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-677718255.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	91980   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2196330877.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	753.5 KB
ID:	91981  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3028821396.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	625.9 KB
ID:	91982   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2508267411.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	91983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3480937168.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	91987  
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the cheaper ones really wont do much to help you, get a real one or pay someone that knows what they are doing to use theirs to buff out the car, if its older be careful if you cut the clear down it may not have enough to cut it etc
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the cheaper ones really wont do much to help you, get a real one or pay someone that knows what they are doing to use theirs to buff out the car, if its older be careful if you cut the clear down it may not have enough to cut it etc
Well, yes and no.
If you know what you're doing and have enough free time, a cheap one works great.

If you ask me, buffers are like house paint. You can get a gallon of Behr Super Premium mixed-by-Jesus-himself for $25 or a gallon of whatever the middle-of-the-road paint is in your area (Sherwin Williams, etc.) for $15. Both cover your walls, both take the same amount of coats, and both last for years and years and years.
Just don't get the bargain brand garbage and you're probably fine if you have a decent amount of skill.

I totally agree with getting a 7424 if you have zero experience and are seriously concerned that you'll ruin your paint, but if you're confident and know you have the time and patience to put into it then don't spend 3x as much for a brand name.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Well, yes and no.
If you know what you're doing and have enough free time, a cheap one works great.

If you ask me, buffers are like house paint. You can get a gallon of Behr Super Premium mixed-by-Jesus-himself for $25 or a gallon of whatever the middle-of-the-road paint is in your area (Sherwin Williams, etc.) for $15. Both cover your walls, both take the same amount of coats, and both last for years and years and years.
Just don't get the bargain brand garbage and you're probably fine if you have a decent amount of skill.

I totally agree with getting a 7424 if you have zero experience and are seriously concerned that you'll ruin your paint, but if you're confident and know you have the time and patience to put into it then don't spend 3x as much for a brand name.
See I'd rather not take 3x's longer I started with a Wal-Mart special and saved up for the 7424. I'd like to upgrade the 7424XP soon. It's supposed to be easier on the hands
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

See I'd rather not take 3x's longer I started with a Wal-Mart special and saved up for the 7424. I'd like to upgrade the 7424XP soon. It's supposed to be easier on the hands
Fair enough, I can respect that!
I suppose I should try out a higher end model and see how it compares to my old sh*tbox workhorse.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Fair enough, I can respect that!
I suppose I should try out a higher end model and see how it compares to my old sh*tbox workhorse.
Your Turtle Wax one sounds better than the the MVP I bought at Walmart. I searched high and low to find the 7424 for a good price.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
I'm surprised you even found a 7424 for a good price.
I started looking after that last post but can't bring myself to pay for one on a college student salary (a whopping $3000/annually).
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
I'm surprised you even found a 7424 for a good price.
I started looking after that last post but can't bring myself to pay for one on a college student salary (a whopping $3000/annually).
I bought it from tools plus it was right as they were changing to the 7424XP also look on eBay. It took me probably a month and I still had to swallow the price a little
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
SCCofSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burbank,Well, Close enough!
Region: California
Posts: 366
My husband bought me a 7424XP, I think for my birthday last year! He got it at Amazon.com for an awesome priceso I practiced on our 1989 Ford 150 Econoline van. haha I learned "what to and what not to do" on the van so I wouldn't mess up my car. I love it. What I dont like is having to go online to get the pads. that sucks!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post
My husband bought me a 7424XP, I think for my birthday last year! He got it at Amazon.com for an awesome priceso I practiced on our 1989 Ford 150 Econoline van. haha I learned "what to and what not to do" on the van so I wouldn't mess up my car. I love it. What I dont like is having to go online to get the pads. that sucks!
Yeah especially when your in a hurry, or want to do it this weekend
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
SCCofSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burbank,Well, Close enough!
Region: California
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yeah especially when your in a hurry, or want to do it this weekend
Ohhhh SO True! This past week I decided to detail his Van but noticed the roof is peeling. (one of those Earl scheib paint job $139.99, 10 years old) so, Ive decided to paint it! That is after l prep, sand, tape, primer, maybe sand again then paint.... Using Aerosol paint cans! SO STAY TUNED!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
etc1006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 200
Griots has a nice setup also. They brought out a 3" version also. That one is really nice! A guy in my Mustang Club did a demo at one of our shows on a members car and he used a Griots stuff and this buffer.
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post

Ohhhh SO True! This past week I decided to detail his Van but noticed the roof is peeling. (one of those Earl scheib paint job $139.99, 10 years old) so, Ive decided to paint it! That is after l prep, sand, tape, primer, maybe sand again then paint.... Using Aerosol paint cans! SO STAY TUNED!
I thought you had a compressor and a gun

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006 View Post
Griots has a nice setup also. They brought out a 3" version also. That one is really nice! A guy in my Mustang Club did a demo at one of our shows on a members car and he used a Griots stuff and this buffer.
Yeah it looks nice I bet it's made by PC
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
SGTman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Springfield
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher

I learned with a rotary but I've heard that the porter cable is great for a novice.
I bought one when they first came out, great machine for the money. Go to autopia car care, they have all the different pads and polish plus what to use and how to do it. They do sell the buffer, compound/polish & pads as a package, check it out.
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:07 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.