How often do you wax your Mustang? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Clay bar is awesome my paint was brand new from factory and had a rough feeling...the clay bar fixed it all!

I now clay bar while stored in winter (after washing with dish soap) then I polish, then I wax. From there I wax pretty much every other month. The key to no swirls is to have no contaminants in your paint (dirt after washing) wiping wax or soap in side to side motions, washing when your paint is cool, regular waxing, and proper during methods (key)

Here is a video of the difference clay bar made for me...

Check out ammo NYC auto on YouTube....amazing tips and tricks for detailing!!

Also.....synthetic wax is more durable its more of a sealant. Carnauba wax gives a better shine but burns off in the heat
My body shop guy told me to use side to side motions with the waxings. That video is crazy. I felt bad after hearing that grit then silence. Kinda makes me wanna never drive again lol
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

That grit wasn't from driving though it came brand new like that! Its over spray from the factory
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That grit wasn't from driving though it came brand new like that! Its over spray from the factory
You think that's bad, imagine have someone who inspected your car, their hair in your quarter panel. I haven't clayed mine yet since it just got out the shop and need a chance to settle. Does the clay help with swirls. I imagine that blue would show up about as bad as a black car
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think you guys missed the most useful drying tool.... I only saw 1 person say it..... Water blade! There great! Watter always puddles up on these cars and a micro fiber doesn't stand a chance at getting big spots like that dry. The water blade has an extremely soft and flexible blade that won't leave marks as long as you use it on a wet car. It's like a squeegee for your paint. I get about 80% of the water off my car in under a min then dry the rest with a microfiber and use some compressed air for getting water out of my louvers..... Spotless finish every time with half the work... Now if the 3 step black box wax was so simple.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

The water blade is fine until you catch a tiny piece of dirt you missed (but can't see) and the blade carries that right across leaving micro scratches on your clearcoat!

Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC Auto (check him out on YouTube) talks about this. He has a neat way of drying....he uses a microfibre with some sort of detail spray as he wipes...it leaves plenty of lubrication between the paint and towel as you *dry*
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Wash top to bottom with a microfiber sponge, rinsing in two separate buckets, use a separate sponge for wheels and dry with terry or microfiber towels. There are many other ways, but this is a good, basic method.
+100 well said sir.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Get a good 250 MPH leaf blower. Just be sure it is Electric powered. A gas powered one will put a nice layer of oil and crud on your car. Only an electric blower should be used. It blows off the water on the car as well as in the door cracks and does the wheels too.

Mine has two speeds and works perfect.

Ronnie
Exactly what I do, works great.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
im with Stig on that water blade....kind of like dropping a towel on the ground and not shaking it out...using it and whoops..where did the scratch come from...nope. you can use that rebel....but like anything else in this life...each to their own. We all have our personal tried and true methods. The Mustang Addict group (FB) wants to prove this croftgate stuff to me at the meet in charlotte.....ill watch and learn, but not saying ill jump off the cliff like a good lemming..LOL

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I think you guys missed the most useful drying tool.... I only saw 1 person say it..... Water blade! There great! Watter always puddles up on these cars and a micro fiber doesn't stand a chance at getting big spots like that dry. The water blade has an extremely soft and flexible blade that won't leave marks as long as you use it on a wet car. It's like a squeegee for your paint. I get about 80% of the water off my car in under a min then dry the rest with a microfiber and use some compressed air for getting water out of my louvers..... Spotless finish every time with half the work... Now if the 3 step black box wax was so simple.
I said water blade lol if done right it cuts drying time by 1/2. Leaves windows cleaner too.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

The clay bar does nothing for swirls. My daily driver is a black 99 qx4. The clay bar takes contaminants out of all the little pits in your clear coat. To remove swirls you need a dual action polisher and then seal it up with a good synthetic wax
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Bath towels.........NO

Water blade........NO

Bath towels are made for one thing....the bath. Use them on your paint and you will see micro marring just like the ones that come from automatic brushes at the car wash. Water blades are debatable. I've used them in the past but someone who doesn't have a clue can do damage with them. If you use the "Sheeting" method during rinsing you will have very little work to do as far as drying goes and cut your time in half. Try a waffle weave towel,absorber or microfibers for drying. My weapon of choice for over 20yrs now is "The Water Sprite". You can always use a leaf blower too.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

What microfiber clothes do y'all recommend?
DallasVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Soft ones lol I use a water magnet towel from meguiars it has little pockets in the pattern. When washing microfibre towels don't use fabric softener
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

LOL, for a second I was like...magnets, how can that help.....water magnet, got it.
DallasVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Water blade is great for the windows

I still say if you ever tried a good Electric leaf blower to get 90% of the water off. You would never ever want to use anything else. I use my Water Blade on the glass and then blow dry my car. Then I use a pure cotton towel (Expensive) to finish up the drying.

When you do wash any of your towels do NOT use bleach in the wash or fabric softener sheets in the dryer. I personally use ALL all clear detergent because it does not have a bunch of crap in it.

I only use Zaino Car Wash and nothing else.

My Candy Red looks soooo good you would want to eat it like real candy.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #50
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Sheeting,sheeting,sheeting........cuts your dry time which ever method you choose.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Sheeting also helps when you use those garden blowers. I use one on my car and cuts the time way down..easpecially in the summer...but I'm still a 100% cotton towel fan. To quote ol grouchy smurf.."I have chamois!"..LOL

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Whoops..damn auto correct..."hate chamois"!

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The clay bar does nothing for swirls. My daily driver is a black 99 qx4. The clay bar takes contaminants out of all the little pits in your clear coat. To remove swirls you need a dual action polisher and then seal it up with a good synthetic wax
According to my body shop you can polish out a color like black to a mirror shine just like new but no matter what, because it was a buffer, it will have a possibility of swirling slightly.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

According to my body shop you can polish out a color like black to a mirror shine just like new but no matter what, because it was a buffer, it will have a possibility of swirling slightly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3515614905.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	93872

Waxed today. Meguiars liquid wax

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-197208541.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	93874

This is the black strip on my hood.
All done by hand.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I'm headed out to wax mine in the next 60mins
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350 View Post

Waxed today. Meguiars liquid wax

This is the black strip on my hood.
All done by hand.
I do all mine by hand too. We have a buffer but that's for out show Chevelles SS's. if there was an attachment, it didn't come through
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the leaf blower thing really doesnt work~ it has never fully dried a car ive used it on, just makes the water much more fine~ and when the sun dries it then you get spots just like anything else.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A little common sense here.

First--- you gotta use an "ELECTRIC" blower.
It will blow most of the water away but you still need to use a good 100% cotton towel to finish drying the car.

You still need to have a good coat of wax on the car for this to work. It just makes wiping any water off a whole lot easier and faster.

I use my water blade on the glass and still need to use a rag to finish all the windows up.

There is absolutely no Magic way to wash a car and let it air dry without having water spots all over it.

My lief blower works great for me, Not perfect but great. It cuts out a whole lot of time and gets all of the water out of the nook's and cranny's as well as getting the water off of the wheels and brake rotors.

Of course if you have access to a race track and wash your car and do a few or more laps at 100+ miles per hour right away it would be a perfect easy wash & dry job. No water spots at all.

Ronnie
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
To dry my cars I use a blade, MF drying towel, then MF polishing towels. I also use air from a compressor to get to areas that hold water. It not good to use a leaf blower, the opening is so big your just blowing dirt back on the clean car. They do sell a small outlet nozzle blower for cars. On the waxing question you do not have to wax the clear coat cars was often as the non clear cars. If you use the detail sprays, Clay bar is a must before you wax or you just wasting your time.
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

What he said, and if you drop a mf towel DON'T shake it and reuse, It's paint killing.... Use a new or fresh one, mf catches and holds everything. The ones that hit the ground never touch my paint again they get used for tire shinning only.
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Horse View Post
What he said, and if you drop a mf towel DON'T shake it and reuse, It's paint killing.... Use a new or fresh one, mf catches and holds everything. The ones that hit the ground never touch my paint again they get used for tire shinning only.
+1111111
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

At least we are on same page of same book
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #62
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I never had anything like that happen.

Sgtman said:
Quote:
It's not good to use a leaf blower, the opening is so big your just blowing dirt back on the clean car
I used my lief blower on my Corvette. Paint still looked like new after ten years.
I used it on my Mini JCW Car still looked like brand new after 4 1/2 years.
I use it on my Mustang and I have never blown any dirt onto my car.

I know you can't use a gas powered blower because it will spit out a little mist of oil every once in a while that will land on the paint. That is why I stress using an "ELECTRIC" Blower. Mine is a black & Decker with two speeds and is at least 15 years old.

A cheap air compressor can blow some oil onto your nice clean paint job.

Ronnie
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Sgtman said:

I used my lief blower on my Corvette. Paint still looked like new after ten years.
I used it on my Mini JCW Car still looked like brand new after 4 1/2 years.
I use it on my Mustang and I have never blown any dirt onto my car.

I know you can't use a gas powered blower because it will spit out a little mist of oil every once in a while that will land on the paint. That is why I stress using an "ELECTRIC" Blower. Mine is a black & Decker with two speeds and is at least 15 years old.

A cheap air compressor can blow some oil onto your nice clean paint job.

Ronnie
The cool, when you said blower, though gas, electric is a lot less powerful
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Do ""NOT"" use a gas powered blower

A gas powered blower puts out a very fine mist of oil and contaminants that would get on your nice just washed clean car.

Read, Read,Read ---"Electric blower only" Only put out clean air. Mine has a air stream of 250 MPH if I want to use that much pressure but I just use it turned to low. I do use the Hi on the wheels though.

Ronnie
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
For me, personnally I would never use dish washing soap unless seriously required... I clay bar my car once a year and also use Meg's 205 and my DA Polisher and white pad to remove any micro scratches. Right after leveling with Megs 205 I place two coats of sealant..(CG Jetseal 109) then wax the car using Megs Ultimate with a black pad, followed by another coat of Megs Ulitmate with a blue or gold pad. So once a year polish, once a year seal, and wax every two weeks. When washing I use Megs shampoo cash wash, and remove standing water with a leaf blower followed by gentle use of a MF guzzler towel. This may sound extreme, but it is my passion and my paint enjoys every moment of it.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote:
A gas powered blower puts out a very fine mist of oil and contaminants that would get on your nice just washed clean car.

Read, Read,Read ---"Electric blower only" Only put out clean air. Mine has a air stream of 250 MPH if I want to use that much pressure but I just use it turned to low. I do use the Hi on the wheels though.

Ronnie
Agreed 100%

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
did u paint u caliper urself?

ur cars awesome did u paint ur calipers urself , was it hard to do? I bought some red caliper paint to do mine, my mustangs kona blue thought the red will make it pop.. thanks for sharing
manlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by manlaw38 View Post
ur cars awesome did u paint ur calipers urself , was it hard to do? I bought some red caliper paint to do mine, my mustangs kona blue thought the red will make it pop.. thanks for sharing
I painted mine on my 05 and worked out great. Clean them as instructed and let the paint cure as instructed and all will be fine. I actually let them set up for 24 hours before putting wheels back on....and after three years still look great.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing