How often do you wax your Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
How often do you wax your Mustang?

I have a 2012 Mustang that I try to wax once a month with Meguiars and was wondering if that was too much? Also are there any negative consequences associated with waxing it too much? I'm just addicted to that clean shine I get after I wax it, it's race red
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
No proplem at all

Keep on waxing. """BUT""" you really don't have to. They actually make a sprey that will keep your car really shiny and clean between wax jobs. Also if you use Meguiars car wash your wax job will last a very long 6 months to a year.

Click on this>http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5klhehgd39_b

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yea I wipe her down every morning before I drive off for the day. I use detailer spray to keep the shine throughout the year though
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotors View Post
I have a 2012 Mustang that I try to wax once a month with Meguiars and was wondering if that was too much? Also are there any negative consequences associated with waxing it too much? I'm just addicted to that clean shine I get after I wax it, it's race red
It can swirl the paint and actually scratch it that often. I wax mine every 2-3 months or every season change or when it rains and ou notice it not being as much and see it coming off in sheets. Polish then wax. After that I used the detailer for every wash. I've had red and nothing feels better than pulling that polished handle and feeling it just glide over your hand.

Sprays are ok I've used them and I'm not a fan. I hand apply my wax, hand take it off. Then I detail spray it to make it pop. A nice little tip too being a 2012 with the plastic, take a pencil eraser to the spots that have wax on them.

Also lol, I know, I never shut up about paint. Use the cheap car wash stuff. I use blue coral, it says it ha wax In it but doesn't (I know right) but if you use a high dollar wash it makes no difference and if it has wax in it, it will actually take your wax job off the car to replace it with the wash's temporary wax. So it won't last as long. Turtle ice soap was $10 and this blue coral from Walmart is $3. I've always gotten better results from them because it leaves my wax on the car longer.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Personally, I only wax (as in wax I mean detail: wash, clay, wash, polish, wax) every three months on the dot. In between the three months of details, I normally wash (as in wash I mean, wash, dry with a spray "quick wax", window clean, rim clean, tire shine, etc.) every 7-10 days. In between the 7-10 days I always have a bottle of spray in my truck with about five micro fibers for quick details during the day. On top of all that, I use a duster every morning and evening when I take her out and put her in for the day. Some people say I'm OCD, I think it's normal and it's how I treated all my cars since 16.

To answer your questions, No. I don't think you can really negatively effect your car by doing hand waxes. I just think it's a waste of time. (Whitelightning brings up a good point with the swirls and unfortunately my car suffers from massive swirls due to the last owner, but they make swirl removal stuff and it works pretty good) If you're good at a hand wax, it should last up to 2-3 months, sometimes longer. You also have to put into consideration that you're waxing every month, so that's a coat of wax on top of wax, on top of wax every month. I would highly recommend doing a clay bar once in awhile to strip everything off so you don't pile on wax coats.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you want to remove all of the "OLD WAX" do this

Wash the car a couple of times with DAWN dish washing soap. Dawn will remove all of the wax and any type of road oil on your car.

If you do have swirls and dull spots then use the clay bar. Just be sure to keep the bar wet and clean and do not rub to hard.

Then wash the car with the car wash soap ( I prefer using the same brand as the wax or polish you will use.) If you use all of the products of the same brand you don't need to worry about the car wash taking off your beautiful wax job.

No matter what the WAX People say>( DO NOT WAX YOUR CAR IN THE DIRECT SUN) Find a nice cool shady spot.

Rotors, You are using one of the absolute best products so just stick with that brand for all of your car cleaning and waxing and you can't go wrong.

Personally I use Zaino products but I do stick with Zaino for every single cleaning and waxing thing on my car. I don't think what I'm using is any better then Meguiares product's but probably just as good.

Most of my street rod friends use Meguiares on their up to $10,000 to $15,000 paint jobs so it can't be really toooo bad.

This is my brothers 32 roadster, It is driven daily and has been driven to California and back as well as to Detroit for the power tour. It has never been on a trailer. My brother swears by Meguiares products and will use nothing else. It is about the same with most street rodders.

Ronnie
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I wax mine as soon as it warms up. About middle of summer an one more time in the fall. So 3 times here.
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but all that wax may seem good, but that's bad for the paint clarity. The wax in the wash will strip it for some reason. The cheap stuff works well.

As for dawn, it takes oil off ducks in oil spills. It could work but last I used it on my girlfriends Jetta to deep clean it, it about took the clear coat off. Scary. Just be careful and don't use the kind with bleach in it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Clay bar won't strip all your wax off. You want the Dawn that says, "original" formula or something to that effect, which wont harm your clear coat. Zaino has some good products, but Meguiars wax blows Zaino's away.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yep, Just plain regular original dawn

Don't get the ammonia one, or anything but the original. Original "DAWN" will "NOT" harm the clear coat or the paint. It will remove old wax and any street oil.
I have used it on my Corvette, My Mini, and I did my Mustang the day I picket it up.

Living here in Florida a person needs to be aware of the Florida Sun fading a red car very fast. My Vette was red and never faded, My Mini was red and never faded. Now My Mustang is red and I'm going to be darn sure it ain't gonna fade either. I put the first coat of Zaino on the night I bought this car.

My Mustang "SHINES" The Wheels "SHINE" With Zaino you just also put it on the black plastic and it will protect it from UV rays that eventually will ruin the plastic.

Zaino has stuff called Clear seal that you just put on and walk away, You need not remove it. I use it for all the plastic parts as well as my wheels. It drys to a great shine and protects against UV ray's.

Another good thing about the Original Dawn is it rinses off and does not leave a soap residue. ( JUST DO NOT USE IT EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR CAR)
Use only if you want to remove wax already on the car.

Ronnie
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I technically never "wax" mine, but the same concept is done about twice a year or so~ since I dont daily drive it and its only out on nice days thats all thats needed. If it was daily driven every other month~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Don't get the ammonia one, or anything but the original. Original "DAWN" will "NOT" harm the clear coat or the paint. It will remove old wax and any street oil.
I have used it on my Corvette, My Mini, and I did my Mustang the day I picket it up.

Living here in Florida a person needs to be aware of the Florida Sun fading a red car very fast. My Vette was red and never faded, My Mini was red and never faded. Now My Mustang is red and I'm going to be darn sure it ain't gonna fade either. I put the first coat of Zaino on the night I bought this car.

My Mustang "SHINES" The Wheels "SHINE" With Zaino you just also put it on the black plastic and it will protect it from UV rays that eventually will ruin the plastic.

Zaino has stuff called Clear seal that you just put on and walk away, You need not remove it. I use it for all the plastic parts as well as my wheels. It drys to a great shine and protects against UV ray's.

Another good thing about the Original Dawn is it rinses off and does not leave a soap residue. ( JUST DO NOT USE IT EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR CAR)
Use only if you want to remove wax already on the car.

Ronnie
Can I buy it off there site? Meguiars or zaino? Alabama sun isn't any better.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Online Zaino store

Here is a link to the Zaino store> Zaino Store

You can get Meguaires from> Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Ronnie
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Clay bar my car every 2 months and wax once a month
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

With this question, what do you guys think is the best way to wash your car? too keep paint looking fresh and crisp?
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruChris View Post
With this question, what do you guys think is the best way to wash your car? too keep paint looking fresh and crisp?
I literally just go to the car wash and use just water to clean the car then like 3 microfiber cloths to soak up the water then the other one for getting the small areas then finally just use spray on wax. I dont use soap at all and i have a white car lol
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I literally just go to the car wash and use just water to clean the car then like 3 microfiber cloths to soak up the water then the other one for getting the small areas then finally just use spray on wax. I dont use soap at all and i have a white car lol
Ha, easy for you to say with your white car !!! J/k lol, I got to the car wash and rinse only then I hit the highway and let most of the heavy water fly off. Then by the Time I'm home I take a microfiber towel to dry "I actually found them at family dollar for really cheap and they work fantastic" it comes in a pack of 3 for like $5 can't beat that". After completely dry I use "Turtle Wax Black Box" in a shaded area "the sh!it is extremely messy cuz it's a dyed wax but it really locks In that glossy black shine" have a Budweiser black crown and chill till it hazes. I save the hood for last, my favorite part of the car and glossing the wheels
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wash top to bottom with a microfiber sponge, rinsing in two separate buckets, use a separate sponge for wheels and dry with terry or microfiber towels. There are many other ways, but this is a good, basic method.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I use what my dad taught me. Too bad he is a perfectionist and OCD all in one. What I hate is when you get tar on the sides. My car being white sucks. I've had my entire doors covered in peanut butter just to get it off.

Anyway. I use basic bath towels. Don't wash them unless they fall on the ground and even then just hose them down or just detergent. Microfiber cloths are for polishing and waxing. I use a water blade which if done right takes out alot of the work.

Picture of just a basic wash and detailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-259183023.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	92915  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Microfiber cloths are for polishing and waxing.
Unless, of course, they're for drying.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Unless, of course, they're for drying.
LOL!!!^^^^
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You just ruined a prefect microfiber cloth with water. Also mine just glides the water, not soak it lol
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
You just ruined a prefect microfiber cloth with water. Also mine just glides the water, not soak it lol
Huh?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I was far far far far more OCD back in the day. Having a garage and only driving when I want has calmed me down lol. I would had to have to keep up a daily driver
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Huh?
Every microfiber cloth I've owned doesn't dry a car, it just pushed the water around and in the paint. That's why I'm confused as to how you're drying a car with these things. I just use a standard shower towel and the microfiber is for my detailer and waxings. I wash them every other time to keep them clean.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I take mine to get waxed every six months.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wanna dry your car fast ????

Get a good 250 MPH leaf blower. Just be sure it is Electric powered. A gas powered one will put a nice layer of oil and crud on your car. Only an electric blower should be used. It blows off the water on the car as well as in the door cracks and does the wheels too.

Mine has two speeds and works perfect.

Ronnie
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Every microfiber cloth I've owned doesn't dry a car, it just pushed the water around and in the paint. That's why I'm confused as to how you're drying a car with these things. I just use a standard shower towel and the microfiber is for my detailer and waxings. I wash them every other time to keep them clean.
You must of bought a very low quality MF towel. I have used nothing but MF to dry all my vehicles. It works wonders.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Get a good 250 MPH leaf blower. Just be sure it is Electric powered. A gas powered one will put a nice layer of oil and crud on your car. Only an electric blower should be used. It blows off the water on the car as well as in the door cracks and does the wheels too.

Mine has two speeds and works perfect.

Ronnie
I used to do this before I got brand new paint. Works well and is fun

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

You must of bought a very low quality MF towel. I have used nothing but MF to dry all my vehicles. It works wonders.
I buy le ones from Wally World. I would love to get the set that has the different colors but every part house and store only has these cheap $3 yellow ones. They work though
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

There are different kinds of mf towels for different applications; some for drying, some for polishing, some for glass and some that shouldn't be used on a car. The polishing ones wont absorb much but are good for applying liquids, wheel & bay cleanup and the like. I'm switching over to Zaino's border free for some of that stuff, though. The drying mf towels come in regular, waffle weave and varying degrees of plush (among others, Im sure). It seems like the mf towels are softer than terry, but folks say terry don't scratch and probably holds less grit than mf towels, so would probably be more cost effective. Im going to do some comparisons after a fresh buff if spring ever gets here.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
nothing wrong with waxing a lot. polishing compound on occasion and quik detail in between..for everything.... with my ride...worth every minute of Love

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Slimer is really looking great

The hood is excellent, Your car really came together nice. The black to offset all of the green was brilliant. A real show car if I do say so myself.
Ronnie
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Thank you sir....I do appreciate that.

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Once a month usually does it for me
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Clay bar is awesome my paint was brand new from factory and had a rough feeling...the clay bar fixed it all!

I now clay bar while stored in winter (after washing with dish soap) then I polish, then I wax. From there I wax pretty much every other month. The key to no swirls is to have no contaminants in your paint (dirt after washing) wiping wax or soap in side to side motions, washing when your paint is cool, regular waxing, and proper during methods (key)

Here is a video of the difference clay bar made for me...

Check out ammo NYC auto on YouTube....amazing tips and tricks for detailing!!

Also.....synthetic wax is more durable its more of a sealant. Carnauba wax gives a better shine but burns off in the heat
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing