help touch up paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
help touch up paint

I had a small scratch on my car I used the 2 in 1 fix and wet sanded after application but I have a dull look to the area how can I bring shine back or do I need to clear coat
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I did the same thing a few years back I got so anal trying to get the scratch to blend perfect I sanded right thru the clear, I had to have the panel repainted and cleared, the reason for the repaint was there was a divet in the clear and the only way to keep the panel from looking wavey was to smooth out the area.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Yeah it's irritating just money right lol at least it's probably better than a big black scrape to the bumper
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
I had a small scratch on my car I used the 2 in 1 fix and wet sanded after application but I have a dull look to the area how can I bring shine back or do I need to clear coat
That dull spot is probably from sanding and not buffing out the scuff you made good enough. If you were using course sand paper that could be why. I drysand a scratch with 1500 sandpaper while using a DA sander, I never sand by hand because you get an uneven sanding process on the clearcoat. Then wetsand it with 3000 sandpaper to get a finer finish before I buff it out. I always use a machine buffer because doing it by hand will take all day. Another thing that dull spot could be from the compound, could have left swirls after buffing you should go over it with polish.

Also if you can feel a scratch and get your fingernail in it then it is not going to come out. If the scratch isn't coming out from sanding but you can still see it but not feel it stop sanding you are starting to get to far into the clearcoat, be careful buffing after it will be easier to burn through.

I hope this helps.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing