Day 8 of make over - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Day 8 of make over

Started sanding the guide coat off today.

Look at how shinny the primer is and it is not wet. I wiped it down with a towel and it is slick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2710612234.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	93822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2158083370.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	93823  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-782573773.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	93824   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2803836490.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	93825  

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Would you mind terribly explaining what a guide coat is and what it does how it helps, please? Thank you in advance!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry. A guide coat is a light coat of primer of a different color than the base primer coat. The reason for the guide coat is to make sure you get all low spot or dents out. Like on mine I used gray primer as my base and put a light coat of black primer over it. When I sand the black coat off if there is a dent or low spot it will still be black, so I either need to keep sanding it until it is all gray or if it is to deep I will have to put more primer on that place to build it up some and then sand it back down again. You done have to do a guide coat, but you will get a lot better paint job if you do.
If you have anymore questions please ask. I hope this explained it ok.

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allans03ragtop View Post
Sorry. A guide coat is a light coat of primer of a different color than the base primer coat. The reason for the guide coat is to make sure you get all low spot or dents out. Like on mine I used gray primer as my base and put a light coat of black primer over it. When I sand the black coat off if there is a dent or low spot it will still be black, so I either need to keep sanding it until it is all gray or if it is to deep I will have to put more primer on that place to build it up some and then sand it back down again. You done have to do a guide coat, but you will get a lot better paint job if you do.
Makes sense. +1
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allans03ragtop View Post
Thank you So SOOO MUCH!! And yes, it made PERFECT sense and I truly appreciate that you took the time.

The reason I asked was, first and foremost, I am NOT a painter! At least not when it comes to autos. Perfectionist? Yes or to an extent if that makes any sense. But I digress. Recently, I decided to paint the roof of an 1989 Ford 150 Econline Van. It rarely gets driven and just sit in the street collecting dust. The paint on the roof was peeling terribly and there was a lot of rust as well.
Not knowing anyone that paints autos for a living. I decided to take the common sense route. So after reading #7 a day or so ago and #8 yesterday. Well, it made me curious as to how badly I've screwed Oops! Messed up. What I've done. I'm sorry! I didn't mean to rattle on so. Perhaps, I should go back and start at your #1. I believe I will. To see what else I can learn. Thank you again! Oh! Is it alright if I ask you questions and/ or advice?

or 3 months. Anyway, the paint is peeling
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it is ok to ask. I am not a painter by trade either. I have several friends that are. So I have been around it and helped them some.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing