Plasti-Dip gurus - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Plasti-Dip gurus

Will it hold up under high pressure wash?
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ya just don't do it full blast on the plasti dip jus mist it
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've heard of it peeling off after numerous washes. However, I never had that problem on my previous cars. Although I only painted plastic pieces and always put a coat of gloss on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Well don't hold the nozzle 2 inches from the surface. I dipped a c stripe, mach 1 hood stripe, hood scoop, side scoops, and spoiler and they never peeled from the car wash.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thx guys.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Dipyourcar.com has done a video of how durable it is. If you put enough layers on to where it is a nice foundation then you should be able to take a pressure washer within inches of it no problem. I've had plasti dip on my truck for over a year now and even the edges haven't started peeling up yet, and it sits in the street outside right with all the elements.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Dipyourcar.com has done a video of how durable it is. If you put enough layers on to where it is a nice foundation then you should be able to take a pressure washer within inches of it no problem. I've had plasti dip on my truck for over a year now and even the edges haven't started peeling up yet, and it sits in the street outside right with all the elements.
+1
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
^^^ +10000 ^^^

Couldn't have said it any better!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

Region: Wisconsin
I've had my plasti-dip on my wheels for almost a year now and never a problem. I haven't put the power washer nozzle to it. I'm sure you can strip it off with a power washer - Heck you can ruin your paint with a power washer too. Just be conscious of your plasti-dipped parts and you'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen - You'll have to spend time to replasti-dip but no irreversible damage.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip will stand up to almost anything... But I learned this weekend what it will not stand up to... A tire change. The machine that they load the wheel into to get the tire on and off rubs the edge of the wheel too hard and ends up peeling the lip. It looks repairable using paint thinner and touch up... We'll see soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1341522708.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	98041  

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93
Will it hold up under high pressure wash?
I had it on for over a year and never had it peel once. Just put thick coats
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
Plastidip will stand up to almost anything... But I learned this weekend what it will not stand up to... A tire change. The machine that they load the wheel into to get the tire on and off rubs the edge of the wheel too hard and ends up peeling the lip. It looks repairable using paint thinner and touch up... We'll see soon enough.
Dang that sucks man
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's very durable and stays looking great! We used the product first in 2007 on my friends wheels and stayed on till 2010 so for 3 years it worked and looked great!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
So I got the wheels off, used paint thinner to reliquify the scraped areas of plasti dip, let it dry and resprayed the impacted area. It came out pretty damn good and you can only see a patch if you're up extremely close to the wheel in direct light. Overall a good fix if you don't want to remove and do an entire respray.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post
I've heard of it peeling off after numerous washes. However, I never had that problem on my previous cars. Although I only painted plastic pieces and always put a coat of gloss on it.
Which gloss have you used on it ?
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L View Post

Which gloss have you used on it ?
Sorry, but I have no idea. It's been a few years.

I know it was just a hi-gloss clear finish. Might've been made by DuPont. Got it at the local Home Depot, along with the plasti dip.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post

Sorry, but I have no idea. It's been a few years.

I know it was just a hi-gloss clear finish. Might've been made by DuPont. Got it at the local Home Depot, along with the plasti dip.
Its ok, I was just wondering BC idk if I should gloss the hood or leave it as it is. I Plasti dipped it Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-30_11.19.37.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	100417   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-30_13.42.00.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	100418  

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L View Post

Its ok, I was just wondering BC idk if I should gloss the hood or leave it as it is. I Plasti dipped it Sunday
That is a tough one there. It depends if you like the matte black on black look (like you have now), or if you want to get the hood to match the rest of the car a little more by putting gloss on it. It will be a little closer match than your current matte, but it still won't be dead on.

I want to say that the gloss helped seal and protect the plasti dip painted lip from the elements. I can't guarantee that, but I believe that is what it said on the can of gloss spray that I had bought. Again, its been a few years, so I really don't remember the small details.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Dipyourcar.com has a gloss plasti dip coating, but it has a lot of orange peal. I've heard that when you clear over plasti dip it has orange peal too. I haven't seen anything in person. I would leave I matte on the hood, otherwise it would look like you are just trying to repaint it an it doesn't match.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've had it matte for two Weeks now, im liking the look, its gonna stay like that for a while

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing