Long-term plastidip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'm considering dipping my wing to get the Mach 1 contrast look. I'm curious as to the long-term effects of plasti-dip. Has anyone had theirs on for more than just a few months, like 5+? If so, have you redone it and did it affect the paint underneath at all?
Wax. Yay or nay? I'm feeling like a sealant would be ideal to protect my (brand-spankin' new...well...it's past the 90 day curing period at least) paint on my wing. I told Ford to do it flat black, but they didn't and refused to refund me because the tech writer wrote Mineral Grey on the work order so now I need a new way to get flat black, but I digress.
Any ideas?
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
First if you haven't already been to this website. http://dipyourcar.com You should check it out! It should answer most if not all your questions. They've got some good videos and the sell the product (Plasti-Dip) and have many colors and tint. As well as info on how to care for it. Such as soap and like.

I dipped a couple things. I wanted to see how they would stand the test of time So, I sprayed identical items, I taped on the back of them Wheel-A and Wheel-B as not to confuse the two. The following is what i did.
Wheel-A I sprayed 3 coats of Black and Wheel-B 6 coats. After six months , Wheel-A, I found was harder to peel off and it came off in lots and lots of little pieces! Now, Wheel-B with the additional coats was easier to remove. It didnt come off in one piece. But it definitely easier. These wheels are were left outside for the first three months and then put in my garage for the remainder of time.

I have also plastic dipped my louvers. Only with these, l used almost 2 cans. It still didn't seem like it was enough. This was done a couple months ago. They are most definitely cured. So now I'm going to put another can on wait two months and then 1 more can on it again. After another couple of months, I will peel it off. That is I'll try and peel it off!

Ive also decided to tape the area surrounding the bra on my car. Remove the bra and Plasti-Dip it Black. I want to see if Plasti Dip will protect my Mustang's front end as well as the bra has and see how it will hold up.

My husband doesn't believe, I am actually trying to save $$$. And even though when I explain the cost of a clear Vinyl wraps oppose to my using Plasti-Dip! He also thinks I'm crazy for not following the instructions to the letter. He keeps threatening to take my name off the checking account and or cut up my American Express. I just laugh... I apologize if that didn't answer your question. But its the best I can do...

What's a girl to do? <Big Sigh>
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I dipped my hood vents and three months later they still look awesome. It's really rugged stuff. Your spoiler will hold up fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post
First if you haven't already been to this website. http://dipyourcar.com You should check it out! It should answer most if not all your questions. They've got some good videos and the sell the product (Plasti-Dip) and have many colors and tint. As well as info on how to care for it. Such as soap and like.

I dipped a couple things. I wanted to see how they would stand the test of time So, I sprayed identical items, I taped on the back of them Wheel-A and Wheel-B as not to confuse the two. The following is what i did.
Wheel-A I sprayed 3 coats of Black and Wheel-B 6 coats. After six months , Wheel-A, I found was harder to peel off and it came off in lots and lots of little pieces! Now, Wheel-B with the additional coats was easier to remove. It didnt come off in one piece. But it definitely easier. These wheels are were left outside for the first three months and then put in my garage for the remainder of time.

I have also plastic dipped my louvers. Only with these, l used almost 2 cans. It still didn't seem like it was enough. This was done a couple months ago. They are most definitely cured. So now I'm going to put another can on wait two months and then 1 more can on it again. After another couple of months, I will peel it off. That is I'll try and peel it off!

Ive also decided to tape the area surrounding the bra on my car. Remove the bra and Plasti-Dip it Black. I want to see if Plasti Dip will protect my Mustang's front end as well as the bra has and see how it will hold up.

My husband doesn't believe, I am actually trying to save $$$. And even though when I explain the cost of a clear Vinyl wraps oppose to my using Plasti-Dip! He also thinks I'm crazy for not following the instructions to the letter. He keeps threatening to take my name off the checking account and or cut up my American Express. I just laugh... I apologize if that didn't answer your question. But its the best I can do...

What's a girl to do? <Big Sigh>
When you go to peel it off, if it comes off in small pieces, apply another coat and let it dry and it should all peel off as one piece.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Holds up really well. We first used dip in 2007 on my friends wheels and they held up great until he decided to peel them on in 2010. So for 3 years they help up.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I need information about paint, not wheels.
KARgt13 and Venomouz, I'm really glad to hear that the dip holds up, I just want to know if it will affect my paint underneath.
Call me paranoid, but I won't believe a word the company says about their product. Their goal is to sell product, not to say whether or not it will **** up my paint.
That's where you guys come in!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

On paint if you do stripes for example, were you didn't dip will fade over time and later on when you take off the dip that part will be fresh as the day you dipped it.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
On paint if you do stripes for example, were you didn't dip will fade over time and later on when you take off the dip that part will be fresh as the day you dipped it.
Ah! That's more helpful.
I just don't want to risk damaging the paint and having a sketchy-looking wing when I sell the car.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Ah! That's more helpful.
I just don't want to risk damaging the paint and having a sketchy-looking wing when I sell the car.
It's as safe as vinyl. It's just that, like venemouz said, it will stay perfect under the dip and the paint that is in the sun will fade. It's good stuff. It's idiot proof.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I get my rear panel last summer, and it's held up really well. hasn't shown any wear. it just gathers lint when I wash it.
I'm also thinking about dipping my wing, make sure you post pics when you're done.
PC07VistaBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing