Waxing/Polishing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Waxing/Polishing

The weather today is absolutely amazing so I thought I'd clean my car and go for a nice drive. Can you guys give me some tips on what wax and machine I should get? It'll probably be once a few months just to keep it looking nice and clean, nothing too special.

Thanks!
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
The weather today is absolutely amazing so I thought I'd clean my car and go for a nice drive. Can you guys give me some tips on what wax and machine I should get? It'll probably be once a few months just to keep it looking nice and clean, nothing too special.

Thanks!
When i wax i get meguires liquid wax. I just apply and buff my hand, i reccomend all of mcguires products, there pretty amazing!
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So you just go around and (assuming you use a microfiber cloth) rub it in by hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes i rub it in by had, wait until i can see it haze a bit and then buff it out, looks great every time! Smooth as glass
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think surf city stuff is awsome .. Their tire shine I think is great. Soooo shiny lasts the longest for me...
Bongadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would be afraid to use a machine
SharprThnJilett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I heard that machines can actually damage the car if you apply too much pressure. So basically all I need to get is wax and rub it in by hand? What about rubbing compound? I would love to learn all the ins and outs of car detailing/cleaning. I wish someone did a nice write-up.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you damage your car by waxing with a buffer I have worse news for you

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #10

Region: Pennsylvania
You can get a random orbital buffer they're easy to operate and pretty cheap. When using any machine buffer heat is your main enemy. If you stay in a spot to long, run over an edge to much or just pressing down on the buffer you can burn thru the clear coat. the weight of the buffer is all the pressure that is needed. If you want to go that route i would go with meguiars polish making sure after you buff to wipe it down with a microfiber towel clean all your jams out tape up around the edges of any unpainted plastic pieces. Then go over by hand with a good wax i use meguiars paste wax in the red can let it haze then wipe it off.
TYoukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, and all I need to do is add some wax onto the buffer, spread it and buff it in right? Rinse and repeat until the cars done?

And what do you guys think about Spray Wax?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #12

if i can Get some free time tomorrow or Sunday ill make a video and post it so everyone can kinda get an idea on how to use a buffer. I wouldn't recommend getting the one i have if you never used one before. Its not a random orbital buffer and you can do some serious damage with it but putting on the polish is the same way with either one
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, thanks man!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #14

No problem if you have any other questions feel free to ask i I've worked in an autobody shop for almost 10 years now
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Dual Action - it is very safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharprThnJilett View Post
I would be afraid to use a machine
Just my two cents...but you can look at the many options for a DA Polisher which are very very very safe. I use a Megs G110, but there are several on the market. I have used this machine for the past three years to both polish, apply sealents AND perform a high gloss wax. I absolutely love this machine and plan on moving up to a Flex in the near future.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

I just picked up a a 6" Griot's Garage random orbital. There are videos on their website showing how to use it and all their products. I got a kit that came with the polish, pads, clay bar, and wax. I through in sealant, extra pads and wax stick. Haven't got a chace to use it, freezing in Chicago still. It looks like it will give great results with very little risk of error. I got everything for around $235, found a 15% off coupon code online and got free shipping. The price of a detail and I have enough product to do 20-30 cars and a polisher with a lifetime warranty.
I have some some minor swirls and light stains to polish out. Then I'll polish, paint seal and double coat the wax.
briankeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeene View Post
I just picked up a a 6" Griot's Garage random orbital. There are videos on their website showing how to use it and all their products. I got a kit that came with the polish, pads, clay bar, and wax. I through in sealant, extra pads and wax stick. Haven't got a chace to use it, freezing in Chicago still. It looks like it will give great results with very little risk of error. I got everything for around $235, found a 15% off coupon code online and got free shipping. The price of a detail and I have enough product to do 20-30 cars and a polisher with a lifetime warranty.
I have some some minor swirls and light stains to polish out. Then I'll polish, paint seal and double coat the wax.
Excellent find....and I hear you about the weather in Chicago....and spending time in the garage getting ready for spring.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for this amazing information guys! I'll try to get this done next weekend and will post pre-post pix.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
my car sits out all year wish I had a garage. the dam birds and fall out polution, I one day ill have what I want. if I live so long.. im soon to be 54, over half 100 .lol if I wait as long as it took me to get this dam car. I was 52 when I got my first new 2011 mustang, not been lucky I guess..
manlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlaw38 View Post
my car sits out all year wish I had a garage. the dam birds and fall out polution, I one day ill have what I want. if I live so long.. im soon to be 54, over half 100 .lol if I wait as long as it took me to get this dam car. I was 52 when I got my first new 2011 mustang, not been lucky I guess..
I also just picked up my car last month, on my 47th bday. Was looking at 11-13 GT's but pulled the trigger on the 07 loaded GT with only 7K miles, got it for $19600 and they wanted 24500. First cool car since I was 20, lots of kids and minivans and suvs in between! I love my car!
It sucks the damage bird crap and other things can do to your car! I sold cars for a year or two and I hated walking around a brand new car ready to deliver it and seeing stains from bird crap! I do have a garage though, leaving the ride outside would suck!
I'm working for the railroad and my car is a daily driver. I park as far a away from the engines in our lot but they shoot oil or deisel out the exhaust sometimes. My car got some on it the first week I got it and it left light stains. I've since waxed and sealed and that seems to protect it from staining, I noticed it one other day after waxing. The polisher is nice for applying wax and lets you keep it nice and thin. The results are amazing on the videos for removing swirls and oxidation. I can't wait to try it. I'll take some before and after pics!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A quick write up would be get your wax and apply it with one rag, then let it dry to a haze(takes about a min) then buff it out with a separate rag. I used the spray wax from mothers before and it was good but I think the liquid wax puts a better coat on
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
If your not experienced in waxing or buffing I wouldn't suggest getting a machine.. Go to your auto parts store and pick up some Meguires liquid wax, applicator pad and some microfiber towels. Go wash your car, let it dry and wait about 20 mins or so till it's dry. Then comes the wax. Usually I'll start on the hood. Squirt a little line down the hood, grab an applicator pad and wax it on. Just remember, a little goes a long way. After your done with the whole good, grab a microfiber towel and start where you started waxing. Should be a little glazed up. Wipe off the wax the same way you put it on, little circles. Move to the fender and repeat. After a good hour or so you'll be done
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1716035338.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	98484

Them bad boys
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #24

Go to autogeek, they have a forum with tons of info and videos.
The random orbital polishers are very safe, they are not like a buffer. Totally different animal. Maguire's, porter cable and Griot's all have affordable machines. After reading the Griot's manual and watching tons of videos I'm confident it will be fine. I was gonna practice on my teens car before I do the stang, no need to waste time or product after videos.
If you are a danger to yourself or others with sharp objects maybe stick with hand waxing. I'm choosing the machine route.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeene View Post
Go to autogeek, they have a forum with tons of info and videos.
The random orbital polishers are very safe, they are not like a buffer. Totally different animal. Maguire's, porter cable and Griot's all have affordable machines. After reading the Griot's manual and watching tons of videos I'm confident it will be fine. I was gonna practice on my teens car before I do the stang, no need to waste time or product after videos.
If you are a danger to yourself or others with sharp objects maybe stick with hand waxing. I'm choosing the machine route.
+1 on Autogeek.net and machine polishing.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justasix98 View Post
If your not experienced in waxing or buffing I wouldn't suggest getting a machine.. Go to your auto parts store and pick up some Meguires liquid wax, applicator pad and some microfiber towels. Go wash your car, let it dry and wait about 20 mins or so till it's dry. Then comes the wax. Usually I'll start on the hood. Squirt a little line down the hood, grab an applicator pad and wax it on. Just remember, a little goes a long way. After your done with the whole good, grab a microfiber towel and start where you started waxing. Should be a little glazed up. Wipe off the wax the same way you put it on, little circles. Move to the fender and repeat. After a good hour or so you'll be done
Just my opinion ....but since I moved to using a DA polisher I promise you it is VERY safe and way more effective. Obviously there is nothing wrong with doing by hand so long as you enjoy your results and you enjoy your ride.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post

Them bad boys
What's the difference between these 2?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post

What's the difference between these 2?
Yellow is a car wash and the black bottle is wax
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing