Washing/waxing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Washing/waxing

What's the routine you guys follow and what materials do you use when washing/waxing?

Last weekend I washed my car (first detailed wash I did...ever) and went around wiping down every bit of the car by hand. Obviously it took forever. Do you guys use some sort of brush, towel to do this? What do you use?

I also bought some meiguars spray wax. Although it has directions I'd like to know the best practices to apply this.

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Oh and clay barring. What's this? I know these are basic questions but everyone has to start somewhere >.<
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Dude, go to Meguires Online, and check out youtube on how to use megs products. You will be amazed how crazy detailing can get, im getting pretty obsessed myself.
PC07VistaBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I use mostly Meguires products now, I love the way they do. the first detail wash after winter i washed with dawn, then used a clay bar, then washed with regular car soap, then used Meguires ultimate compound, and Megs Carnauba Wax.

Dawn - ONLY use the blue ORIGIONAL. What this does is get all the old wax and road oils off the car.

Clay Bar - This (comes in a couple of meguires kits) is used to get small contaminants out of your clear coat. If you ever run your hand over your car and it feels rough, this takes care of that.

Meguires Ultimate Compound - There are many different types of rubbing compounds, this is just the one i chose. These are used for buffing out minor scratches, swirls, water spots, bird drop edgings etc. (generally only works with minor blemishes)

Clear coat sealant can be used to help fill in scratches some as well (though i have never used it).

Polish - Used basically the same way as polishing compound and wax this adds to the shine of your car.

Wax - There a different kinds of wax as well, each one works differently but all have the same general purpose: To protect your paint.

Since my life is starting to settle down now, the way my schedule will probably go is once a year i will:
Wash with Dawn
Clay Bar
Wash with Car soap
Rubbing Compound (if needed)
Polish
Wax

Every month:
Wash with car soap
Wax

and wash the car every week.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A routine is based on what your paint is subjected to...but my routine would be as follows for a daily driver ...

Complete wash with a quality car shampoo using microfiber towels only....no bath towels ever.
Clay bar...many on the market and sold at all local stores... Walmart...Kmart..autozones, etc. clay will remove all imperfections embedded on the paint.
PREFERRED.... Meg's 205 and a DA polisher to remove all swirls , micro marring, scratches, etc. OR
Meg's 205 by hand...not as effective but will work on smoothing out minor imperfections. If you could feel a scratch with your fingernail it will not be corrected.
Sealant applied by hand or machine...let cure , remove and apply second coat. Sealant will fill in minor scratches and level some of the paint
Polish applied by hand or machine - polish will enhance the surface
Wax applied by hand or machine - wax protects the paint and will last about 3 weeks depending on what your paint is exposed to.

Use only microfiber towels and a great place to search for products is Autogeek.net. I like many of the Meg's products for polishing and CG for sealant.

The above is done only ONCE or TWICE a year up to the waxing step which needs to be done at least monthly.

Personally I only use Croftgate products for daily and weekly maintenance...and yes I love this stuff so much I now also deal for them .

Hope this helps a little.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Great day today and got my shine on with Croftgate Project X.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1463178214.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	102531  

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post
Great day today and got my shine on with Croftgate Project X.
I like the reflection! Do you just spray, let it sit for a minute and wipe off with a MF towel?
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post

I like the reflection! Do you just spray, let it sit for a minute and wipe off with a MF towel?
All Croftgate products are spray on and wipe off...this is a result of Aquanil X waterless wash followed up by Project X. Feel free to email me at CroftgateIL@comcast.net with any questions.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing