Wax recommendations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Wax recommendations

I've always done meguiars waxes. But does anyone have any recommendations on a higher quality liquid wax that works well with an orbital?
StangReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I've always heard Megs is some of the highest quality there is. I normally used turtle wax (the paste stuff) but when I did my clay bar it came with Megs Liquid Carnauba wax and that is the best stuff I have seen so far. I didnt have time to polish it the day I used it but after that liquid wax I didnt really need to, I'm excited to see what it'll look like after it's properly shined

Another that I'm just being introduced to is Croftgate (I think its Gityup that is now a licensed dealer of it) but from the videos I've seen on their website I definitely want to give it a try

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I been using Croftgate USA 2 friends of mine are dealers for Croftgate and detailed my stang to show me how gods there product was it made my stang shine better and bright then it ever did did with everything else I am now hooked check out there web site we.croftgateusa.com
darkshadowGT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I will look into it definately. Thanks guys. Always looking for the next best thing to get my car to a mirror finish. (Even if it does only last a day here in rainy Washington). That or high pollen counts when it's dry. Just can't win.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Croftgate Quick & Slick

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Croftgate Quick & Slick
I have to get a bottle of the next !!
darkshadowGT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Zaino. Period.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Why Zaino? And how is it better then any other wax?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangReaper
Why Zaino? And how is it better then any other wax?
If you use zaino products, ppl will ask where you had your factory paint job done at. A starter kit runs $84 I think and it will do the car 30 times. It also has an antistatic ingredient that repels dust. It is a polish and not a wax. You won't find a better product anywhere.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If i had paint that was in good condition, i would use AMMO products. Ammonyc.Com. Their owner is a awesome enthusiast and his products are awesome. His basic regime is. Great for shine and protection. It's really awesome stuff and is used regularly to maintain some of the most amazing cars in the world. Check out the website and some of his videos.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
I've always heard Megs is some of the highest quality there is. I normally used turtle wax (the paste stuff) but when I did my clay bar it came with Megs Liquid Carnauba wax and that is the best stuff I have seen so far. I didnt have time to polish it the day I used it but after that liquid wax I didnt really need to, I'm excited to see what it'll look like after it's properly shined

Another that I'm just being introduced to is Croftgate (I think its Gityup that is now a licensed dealer of it) but from the videos I've seen on their website I definitely want to give it a try

Agreed my friend !! First all Meg's products are awesome and another of my fav's is Chemical Guys 50/50 for paste. When it comes to waterless wash and simple protection and shine...YES, I dont have to use Croftgate I choose to. Glad you checked out Croftgate.com and feel free to PM me or email me directly at CroftgateIL@comcast.net for any questions or products!!!

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Croftgate Quick & Slick

++++1111 Quick N Slick is AWESOME.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Croftgate Quick & Slick
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowGT04 View Post
I been using Croftgate USA 2 friends of mine are dealers for Croftgate and detailed my stang to show me how gods there product was it made my stang shine better and bright then it ever did did with everything else I am now hooked check out there web site we.croftgateusa.com

Croftgate products are really amazing !!!

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #12

Region: Hawaii
I just started using Adams products. Very happy with the products and the turn out.
vargas2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargas2412 View Post
I just started using Adams products. Very happy with the products and the turn out.
That's awesome...I have heard about theses but have not had the opportunity to try them.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I went out and went with some Croftgate wax. I tell you what never seen my car shine so bright. Unfortunately being here in ole WA it rained the next day but man. Sure was beautiful
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I recently picked up some Pinnacle Souveran wax....pure carnuba. I have been using Zaino for years before trying the Pinnacle. Don't get me wrong at all, Zaino is a great product but I find that I like the Pinnacle better. Before using the Pinnacle I went over the car with their "Cleansing Body Lotion".....may sound like I'm getting this stuff at Bed, Bath and Beyond but it worked great....the paint was like glass after using it.

Just my opinion and not a knock on Zaino....great stuff and great customer service.
Boss1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just make sure the wax is thick and creamy. That means there is carnauba in it, make sure its not runny or watered down. That's what I was told by an old school guy from downeyCA car meet
toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If I had to describe the Pinnacle Souveran wax it's not what I would call thick and creamy...it's more like the consistency of a bar of soap. When you rub the wax applicator across it, it picks up plenty of wax....although a lot is not needed and it goes a long way. According to the manufacturer it is pure carnuba.....again, just my description and experience...there is a lot of good stuff out there that's for sure.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1651 View Post
I recently picked up some Pinnacle Souveran wax....pure carnuba. I have been using Zaino for years before trying the Pinnacle. Don't get me wrong at all, Zaino is a great product but I find that I like the Pinnacle better. Before using the Pinnacle I went over the car with their "Cleansing Body Lotion".....may sound like I'm getting this stuff at Bed, Bath and Beyond but it worked great....the paint was like glass after using it.

Just my opinion and not a knock on Zaino....great stuff and great customer service.
I agree Pinnacle is some really great stuff!

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

While pure carnauba wax would be nice for shine, it also will be one of the fastest burn off waxes out there. I bet in less than an hour or two of 70 degree heat on a coloured paint it would be gone. All natural waxes just don't hold up well and that's why we see blended waxes. 45-55% is what most wax blends are. Meguars gold class paste is 48% if i recall correctly.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about that....I'm in Arizona and was at two car shows last Saturday...temps were 95 degrees and the car sat out in it for over 6 hours. Wiped it down the next day and it beaded up like it had just been waxed. Now that is just my experience and not trying to stir anything up....just my experience.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

"Pinnacle Souverän™ Carnauba Wax is terrific in climates of high heat and humidity. It wipes on effortlessly and resists hazing and streaking. Every car comes out perfect. It's a detailer's dream come true."

"0We took the highest grade yellow carnauba wax available and refined it once more to make an ivory- colored wax of unbelievable clarity and purity. Even in its natural state, carnauba provides excellent UV protection, is heat resistant, and yet is breathable to allow the leaves from which it came to receive oxygen. Pinnacle's ivory carnauba retains all those characteristics but allows for a perfectly clear, rich finish when applied to automotive paint."

The above is from Pinnacle....now I do realize they are trying to sell their product.but one of the reasons I chose it was for the UV protection and heat resistance. Don't know if it will last as long as Zaino did, but I'll find out.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Mhmm. It's true that a carnauba wax will be more heat resistant in that it is very clear so it traps very little solar radiation (as for uv protection almost all waxes provide some protection) so it won't heat up much, but it is an organic compound. The white refined carnauba is stronger than the yellow stuff but it should still be evaporating around 110 degrees of surface temperature. Maybe add 10 to that for a full cure. I'll dig my notes up about it later this weekend if I remember. We did a studt with synthetic and natural waxes as part of my chemical engineering courses.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It would be very interesting to see the results you came up with. It's all about protecting the finish of our cars so it would be good to know more about the products we use.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1651 View Post
It would be very interesting to see the results you came up with. It's all about protecting the finish of our cars so it would be good to know more about the products we use.
I'll take a look in the garage where I have my old notes stored. Gotta clean up out there anyways. I do remember that the longest lasting wax in terms of time and heat was a fully synthetic paste. But it also had the highest spectral absorption rate. Basically we would wax a big piece of essentially bodywork and then expose them to varying environment. Then we used... Damn, some acid to completely dissolve the remaining wax off then titrate it to find out how much was left over. This was tricky for some of the synthetic compounds. For light reflectance we had a really cool spectral imager thing that cost over 400k. We also had a thing similar to a paint depth gauge to verify all the samples were of similar staying depth, interestingly, as long as one person prepped the entire panel, it almost always worked out perfectly (but we had conversion ratios for variances too. It was really interesting. Oh, one of the synthetic waxes ate clean through the clearcoat when exposed to a hat cycle! It was kinda terrifying. Though I don't think it was designed for automotive use...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Meguiars Gold Carnuba. IMO top,notch.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Synthetics do last longer but the pros & cons are subjective. I like Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax. It is so easy on and off and I think the result is second to none.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicrodder View Post
Synthetics do last longer but the pros & cons are subjective. I like Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax. It is so easy on and off and I think the result is second to none.
thats a little contradictory to me, a "liquid paste"?

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
thats a little contradictory to me, a "liquid paste"?
That is the name given to it. It is in liquid form.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing