What is this called? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What is this called?

I've washed my car twice now in the city since ive moved. Both times I get this weird hazed, or just not shiny appearance all over my brand new black. How do I remove it, and more importantly, what is it?

Also I'm not putting a buffer or anything abrasive in even the finest amount on my car. I've spent too much money for this conversion to have my inexperience mess this up with something I'm not comfortable with.

May hardly be able to see but that smudge or whatever is all over my black panels. But the white looks fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3116608686.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	103240   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-604443371.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	103241  

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I've washed my car twice now in the city since ive moved. Both times I get this weird hazed, or just not shiny appearance all over my brand new black. How do I remove it, and more importantly, what is it?

Also I'm not putting a buffer or anything abrasive in even the finest amount on my car. I've spent too much money for this conversion to have my inexperience mess this up with something I'm not comfortable with.

May hardly be able to see but that smudge or whatever is all over my black panels. But the white looks fine
It is city water haze. Do you dry the car or do you let mother nature do it for you? Get an electric leaf blower and use it after you dry your car to get the water sitting behind the mirrors and such. It is on the white also you just don't see it as much. I have a dark blue car and I get the same thing.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post

It is city water haze. Do you dry the car or do you let mother nature do it for you? Get an electric leaf blower and use it after you dry your car to get the water sitting behind the mirrors and such. It is on the white also you just don't see it as much. I have a dark blue car and I get the same thing.
I second the electric leaf blower for drying if water is used to wash the car. I have switched 100% to waterless wash some time ago and achieve amazing results and doing my part to reduce chemicals going into our drinking water.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post

I use a water blade single swipe and the rest is a bath towel dry. No fabric softner. Just detergent.

I clayed, detailed, waxed and detailed again. I think its my putting too much detailer on it. It will rub off but will come back as almost an oil or stain.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post

I second the electric leaf blower for drying if water is used to wash the car. I have switched 100% to waterless wash some time ago and achieve amazing results and doing my part to reduce chemicals going into our drinking water.
Does it take away road grime? And does it do that haze?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I use a water blade single swipe and the rest is a bath towel dry. No fabric softner. Just detergent.

Stop using a bath towel! You'll make your paint even worse with all the scratches the towel will put in the paint. Invest in some quality mircrofibers!
Silver06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Never ever use anything other than a microfiber towel for drying. Never cotton. This haze is 1 of 4 things. 1 water with dissolved crap in it, possibly oils too. 2 just leftover product which needs to be buffed off with a microfiber towel and a little elbow grease. 3 poor quality spray wax r spray wax that has gotten too old and the solvents have separated from the waxes. 4 synthetic spray wax. It needs more work to get it to shine. Keep working it with the microfiber towel. Again. Never use a bath towel on your car ever again.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I clayed, detailed, waxed and detailed again. I think its my putting too much detailer on it. It will rub off but will come back as almost an oil or stain.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Does it take away road grime? And does it do that haze?
Yes and No. I use only Croftgate waterless products and enjoy amazing results with no hose or water. Check it out or feel free to email me at CroftgteIL@comcast.net

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06GT View Post

Stop using a bath towel! You'll make your paint even worse with all the scratches the towel will put in the paint. Invest in some quality mircrofibers!
It hasn't messed up my paint? Trust me.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Never ever use anything other than a microfiber towel for drying. Never cotton. This haze is 1 of 4 things. 1 water with dissolved crap in it, possibly oils too. 2 just leftover product which needs to be buffed off with a microfiber towel and a little elbow grease. 3 poor quality spray wax r spray wax that has gotten too old and the solvents have separated from the waxes. 4 synthetic spray wax. It needs more work to get it to shine. Keep working it with the microfiber towel. Again. Never use a bath towel on your car ever again.
Not a scratch. If done right and lightly, it will work. I just graze over it. Like take one end and just swoosh it over the area then detail it. I use meguiars detailer but just switch to zymöl. It's woth the $12 a bottle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-981731323.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	103831   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2254311756.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	103832  

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Still have haze though :/
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
It hasn't messed up my paint? Trust me.
Not saying that is what messed up your paint. I just wouldn't use anything other than microfiber for anything on my car. Know you said you've clayed but have you tried polishing out the spot?
Silver06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06GT View Post

Not saying that is what messed up your paint. I just wouldn't use anything other than microfiber for anything on my car. Know you said you've clayed but have you tried polishing out the spot?
It's brand new paint? I hope you're talking about a smooth polish and nothing abrasive in any means? Since I've done all this, I think next month ill strip it down with dawn and just wax it and the detail it. If it can get oil off birds. It can get oily residue off paint.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

It's brand new paint? I hope you're talking about a smooth polish and nothing abrasive in any means? Since I've done all this, I think next month ill strip it down with dawn and just wax it and the detail it. If it can get oil off birds. It can get oily residue off paint.
Abrasive polish is the only thing that removes clear coat haze.
Quit talking down to the people here when you asked for help. You cleanly do not know what the problem is and we are trying to help. Your snarky retorts are not the thanks that these people deserve.
You can refuse to use abrasives if you want, you'll just have to deal with paint haze. Abrasives are a good thing! I love them!
In all honesty, you really need to stop using bath towels. There's a reason everyone here flipped when you said that.
Even brand new paint can have defects. Orange-peel is the biggest issue.

Evidence that I'm not just trying to talk you into something and I really do know what I'm talking about, all achieved by using abrasive compounds (Meg's M105, M205, Menzerna final polish):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3117614955.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	980.6 KB
ID:	104043   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2445617199.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	104044  

Name:	image-1691157033.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	104045   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3306653221.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	104046  

Name:	image-2652308515.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	104048   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3017127396.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	104049  

Name:	image-2668182508.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	998.8 KB
ID:	104050  
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Are you hand washing it? I know if I go through a spotless wash it will leave a haze like that and if I use my shammy on it I will get a ton of black dirt all over the towel. If i wash by hand it comes out much more shiny and the shammy will be clean as a whistle.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Quit talking down to the people here when you asked for help. You cleanly do not know what the problem is and we are trying to help. Your snarky retorts are not the thanks that these people deserve.
You can refuse to use abrasives if you want, you'll just have to deal with paint haze. Abrasives are a good thing! I love them!
In all honesty, you really need to stop using bath towels. There's a reason everyone here flipped when you said that.

Evidence that I'm not just trying to talk you into something and I really do know what I'm talking about, all achieved by using abrasive compounds (Meg's M105, M205, Menzerna final polish):
I'm just frustrated with the fact that I've done all this and its still there. 6 hours in and its still there. I'm an *** and for that I'm sorry. That's my personality. I'm arrogant and irrational.

It was flawless paint. I understand I messed it up. I am just a scared little punk *** kid with a mustang that doesn't want to ruin the ride I'm going to have for the next ten years. I'm sorry, so sorry.

I've been taught through my father. We have 3 show cars and he's always used a simple bath towels. Not really anything wrong cause we water blade it before.

I'm not trying to be an *** on here but I absolutely hate being called out like this. I'm sorry my little punk *** tried to ask for help. When you dump a Buick in paint, you'll feel me. But that's about all ill say and ill take my next warning with pride. Thanks though guys. Love y'all
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's weird and only in certain lights. To the guy that's said buff it, that helped a good bit but now %100. Just too scared to use abrasives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4103916635.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	104068   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1246171841.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	104069  

Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Have you taken it back to the body shop? It may be a little orange peel or something that they can buff out.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I suggest trying Megs 205 by hand or a DA polisher and a black pad which is a very light agressive approach. I also agree with 99Ford that maybe you visit the body shop and see what they can do.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:

Come on, lets keep it cool here. And done right bath towls are just as good as microfibers. I use bath towels to dry my car and my paint that was mistreated by the previous owners looks 10x better than the day i brought it home, all with bath towls to dry my car every single weekend. Also there are no swirl marks on my car at all, even before i did a compound and polish for the show i went to (and won 2nd place). Besides, my bath towels are almost as soft as microfibers so you don't know how soft his are either.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Come on, lets keep it cool here. And done right bath towls are just as good as microfibers. I use bath towels to dry my car and my paint that was mistreated by the previous owners looks 10x better than the day i brought it home, all with bath towls to dry my car every single weekend. Also there are no swirl marks on my car at all, even before i did a compound and polish for the show i went to (and won 2nd place). Besides, my bath towels are almost as soft as microfibers so you don't know how soft his are either.
Finally someone sees the magic.
I don't bare down on them. I use a sweep motion much like the water blade. Just to wipe the water. I never put fabric softner in them so they are still pretty soft for paint

Thanks also Andrew for helping me out. I appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Next time people go making accusations, why not base everything off of age and background. Ill put a stop to those stereotypes real quick.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
Next time people go making accusations, why not base everything off of age and background. Ill put a stop to those stereotypes real quick.
Thank you sir!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So another question. I was washing dishes tonight and cleaning my George Forman ( oh the burgers) and I was using hot water to get the grease and eww off. Anywho, would warm or almost hot water in the soap bucket help take this off or will it act like dawn and just strip the wax? I've used warm after in the winter and hooked it up to the water heater for warm hose water.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Dude you need to back off. Don't talk down to people as if you know everything because you certainly don't. All he did was ask a question and you respond with this? How old are you twelve? Why not just help him instead of trying to start a fight over the Internet. Grow up.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Used al this again after my 6 hour detail and the haze is almost gone. Gonna dawn it and re do it all except clay bar. Thanks peeps
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Used al this again after my 6 hour detail and the haze is almost gone. Gonna dawn it and re do it all except clay bar. Thanks peeps
Looks like your hard work is starting to pay off.

Just want to say, haze or no haze, that is one beautiful ride you have there.

Take good care of her.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing