armor all under the hood? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
armor all under the hood?

i was at a car show this weekend walking around i was checking out a car and i asked the owner what he does to clean under his hood because it looked real good. he said he uses some products and after uses armor all. i like armor all i use the leather care for interior and the original on my tires but it seems a little odd to use under the hood to keep it shiny. im wondering if anyone has done that and is it safe?

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I dust it with a microfiber cloth and then Meguiar's that is just like armour all.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
I dust it with a microfiber cloth and then Meguiar's that is just like armour all.
ok thanks so i know it is safe then. i assume you have up kept it so it probably looks almost new unfortunately the owner before me never really kept up with it so i need a real good clean underneath there are there any products you recommend ive used simple green once it did pretty good job but not as great as i was hoping. i dont want to use any water or hose im afraid to damage something so it will be the product and towel

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I've been using Armor All under the hood since it came out many years ago. Makes the plastic and rubber parts (hose and plug wires, fuse covers, intakes, etc) look really good.

Not one problem in 30 plus years...Knock on wood. Just don't drench it, light coats won't hurt anything.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
I've been using Armor All under the hood since it came out many years ago. Makes the plastic and rubber parts (hose and plug wires, fuse covers, intakes, etc) look really good.

Not one problem in 30 plus years...Knock on wood. Just don't drench it, light coats won't hurt anything.
ok thanks alot hope it makes mine look real nice also how do you apply it do you just use a towel as if you were wiping the interior? i was thinking it could be worth investing in a sponge or applicator pad to use strictly for under the hood

2003 GT
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
[QUOTE=mustang17;1629439]ok thanks alot hope it makes mine look real nice also how do you apply it do you just use a towel as if you were wiping the interior? i was thinking it could be worth investing in a sponge or applicator pad to use strictly for under the hood[/QUOTE

I use all kinds of things to reach all the areas. Applicator pads work well for the large areas. I've also used microfiber towels and for the hard to reach areas, q-tips and an old retired (clean) toothbrush.

Also to complete the cleaning I like to use Turtle Wax Ice on the underside of the hood, shock towers, firewall, supercharger, etc. All the metal areas get done at least once every three months. Keeps everything looking nice and neat under there.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i heard some good stuff about turtle wax thanks alot!

2003 GT
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I use Turtle Wax trim restorer on the plastic, after using wipe and shine to get the hard stuff. Looks great, lasts longer than Armor All.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My way....a Microfiber towel and Croftgate Multi Clean and Tire Shine...yesI said Tire Shine....this stuff works amazing on all the plastics and rubbersunder the hood and does a great job on the chromes/metals as well. I used to use Armor All exclusively, but wasnever happy with the oily shine, still some excellent stuff I just moved on.
Attached Images

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterzinyou View Post
I use Turtle Wax trim restorer on the plastic, after using wipe and shine to get the hard stuff. Looks great, lasts longer than Armor All.
ok thanks ill give it a try i hear its good stuff

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post
My way....a Microfiber towel and Croftgate Multi Clean and Tire Shine...yesI said Tire Shine....this stuff works amazing on all the plastics and rubbersunder the hood and does a great job on the chromes/metals as well. I used to use Armor All exclusively, but wasnever happy with the oily shine, still some excellent stuff I just moved on.
havent heard too much about croftgate but i will check it out..all good answers thanks alot guys

2003 GT
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
ok thanks ill give it a try i hear its good stuff

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

havent heard too much about croftgate but i will check it out..all good answers thanks alot guys
I started using Croftgate some time ago and now rep for them in NW Illinois - feel free to send me a message or visit my FB page for more information. facebook/Croftgate ILL NW. I may also be able to help you find a local dealer.

Have a great day !!!

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post

I started using Croftgate some time ago and now rep for them in NW Illinois - feel free to send me a message or visit my FB page for more information. facebook/Croftgate ILL NW. I may also be able to help you find a local dealer.

Have a great day !!!
thanks you too!

2003 GT
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Just be careful not to spray it on any belts. It will cause slippage.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Just be careful not to spray it on any belts. It will cause slippage.
+11. No mater what you use. Just make sure you cover up all essential things, such as alternator and air filter (if you have an open element CAI).
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I would avoid using water/degreaser to hose down the motor, thats kind of a last resort from years of neglect, Some steam clean but you sign a waiver for damages lol. Taking time by hand = same results just takes longer. Break it up in areas/stages and work on it over time so you dont pass out from bending over that long lol

dont use products that are greasy, it promotes dust to stick from daily duties and to much greasy crap looks bad... sure greasy stuff hides dust GREAT but its not a fix overall.

Use rags and cleaners to degrease (simple green) where needed, clean dirt (meguiars detailer/etc) for paint and metal, and for the rubber stuff use something non greasy like meguiars interior detailer or something else thats just not greasy.

You may need mothers back to black or similar for some of the items to get them looking back OEM like~

take your time and use brushes and anything else at your disposal (stick wraped around a towl to go down in some spots for example) and you will get it looking good. The key is the simply to do regular upkeep and it stays that way.

Everyone asks me how I keep the motor so clean, I just dont let it get dirty to begin with and keep it protected/cleaned just like the paint. When I do interior, I do the motor. Ive seen stuff that you can spray on dirt to remove it touch free for those super hard to reach areas as well DWG International´┐Ż - Manufacturer of Dri Wash 'n Guard´┐Ż has some dust be gone but ive never used that product of theirs so no input on that.

my engine (60k miles on car):
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

exactly i definitely dont want to use the hose im afraid something will happen. i have mothers back to black already so i can use that since it is at my disposal. it is unfortunate because the previous owner neglected it. it doesnt look horrible but i want it to look better thanks for all the advice guys now that it is getting nice out i can spend alot of time on it. SpectorV it looks real good! is that your dd?

2003 GT
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Simple green works good i used the stuff u buy at the dollar store let it soak for about ten minutes then use a scrub brush it and hosed it down not high pressure.I covered up my battery and fuse box and alt had no problems at all i start it after to dry it out ..then used the maquires interior dressing on it ..see my post to see the before and after pics
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Simple green works good i used the stuff u buy at the dollar store let it soak for about ten minutes then use a scrub brush it and hosed it down not high pressure.I covered up my battery and fuse box and alt had no problems at all i start it after to dry it out ..then used the maquires interior dressing on it ..see my post to see the before and after pics
i used simple green once before so i still have it but i didnt let it soak so i guess thats something i have to do this time silly mistake i guess haha where are the before and after pics?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
SpectorV is that your dd?
It was for a time, now its for when ever I want to drive it only

Quote:
simple green is good stuff, you can use that to degrease stuff and clean what ever it just takes time to get it back in good shape then just keep it there.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130137.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	105236Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130142.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	105237..........here's the before and after pics
Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Attachment 105236Attachment 105237..........here's the before and after pics
looks good, its odd how the metal on 05+ oxidizes so much faster, my 03 still look rather good (alternator etc). They make some sort of cleaner you can use that pulls that junk off FYI, not sure what its called but you gotta be careful with it not to get it on paint/etc I believe~ good stuff though (friend uses it on his GT500 bare metal areas)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hope you got some good tips..show some pics when your done..yea the alt looks like crap i seen one pic of a guy who had a cover for it so i might look into that.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
..........here's the before and after pics
wow bro big difference thanks i hope mine can make that turn around i have a pic of mine under the hood in my garage if you want to look i dont have a pic in my phone at the moment

2003 GT
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Your engine doesn"t look bad at all.Should come out nice
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your engine doesn"t look bad at all.Should come out nice
thanks im a little ocd i guess so i want it perfect haha

2003 GT
Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Its been used for a while i work in a car detailing and to clean the engine and hood we turn the cars on soak it with armour all and close the hood for a couple minutes then wipe it down and il looks really good
mustangmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmiguel View Post
Its been used for a while i work in a car detailing and to clean the engine and hood we turn the cars on soak it with armour all and close the hood for a couple minutes then wipe it down and il looks really good
so u spray it turn car on let it run then shut off and just wipe? damn that sounds too easy lmao

2003 GT
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

so u spray it turn car on let it run then shut off and just wipe? damn that sounds too easy lmao
It really is
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmiguel View Post

It really is
thanks ill give it a try and see how it goes how much do you use

2003 GT
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

thanks ill give it a try and see how it goes how much do you use
I soak it with armor all lol turns our really shiny
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
But doesn't armour all make dust stick?

I use pledge on my interior. Repels dust and smells lemony sweet. The I use an interior detailer. Under the hood, I use Lucas fast wax on everything. I spray on the towel then wipe it down

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1632282100.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	107009

And voilla. This is what I get. Screw that armour all. That's like Velcro for dirt
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing