My experience with krylon fusion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My experience with krylon fusion

So I recently purchased krylon fusion flat black so I can redo my interior. I did all the normal prepping with the plastics such as wash it with a coarse pad with dawn original dish soap and allow to dry. I applied 2-3 coats of adhesion promoter dependent on which part I wanted to paint. I sprayed about 6 EXTREMELY light coats of the krylon fusion flat black per piece. I allow to sit for a day before handling. But now when I even run my fingers around it back and fourth 2 times or so I have black residue on them. Even worse, it scuffs crazy easy.. I did not apply a clear coat due to the fact that i do not want a shiny interior. Heck, for $7.50 a can it shouldn't even need it! I will post pictures tomorrow on how my interior looks. I just figured I would give everyone a warning to NOT use this brand of paint. Or at least the flat black.
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You should have applied the matte clear coat. It would still look like matte black, but have the protection on it.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Most of the interior is not plastic so the fuzion of course will not adheare like it is supposed to. The duplicolor interior paint was meant for painting the interior and works infinitely better. No clear is needed.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Most of the interior is not plastic. The duplicolor interior paint was meant for that and works infinitely better.
I paint items such as the rear panels, glove box, etc.
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post

I paint items such as the rear panels, glove box, etc.
Then what did you use to paint the rest of the stuff?

I've used the Fuzion on several projects around the house and garage, all plastics of course, and haven't had the issue you described. Perhaps it is the matte, a semi gloss will work and look much better.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Then what did you use to paint the rest of the stuff?

I've used the Fuzion on several projects around the house and garage, all plastics of course, and haven't had the issue you described. Perhaps it is the matte, a semi gloss will work and look much better.
I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye for all the vinyl around my car. And I didn't really want a shiny interior.. Idk if it would have looked right
Old 05-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

When my buddy used it on his car it wasn't shiny. A semi gloss really, it looked fine. I wouldn't use a high gloss anything, no need to be blinded by reflections when your driving.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When my buddy used it on his car it wasn't shiny. A semi gloss really, it looked fine. I wouldn't use a high gloss anything, no need to be blinded by reflections when your driving.
I may take my coarse sponge to it down the line, rough it up, apple 2-3 coats of the fusion, and than a few coats of matte clear down the line. Think that would help it out?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
To get the old paint off, soak in brake fluid, it will take the paint off and leave the plastic alone. I like SEM products interior paints, they look OEM after drying. No promoter needed.
Foxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxone View Post
To get the old paint off, soak in brake fluid, it will take the paint off and leave the plastic alone. I like SEM products interior paints, they look OEM after drying. No promoter needed.
We're the stock parts even painted? I thought that they were just black or grey plastic?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
No , I mean if he wanted to remove his previous paint job. Im pretty sure most of the parts are OEM painted.
Foxone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing