paint sealant for my rims - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
paint sealant for my rims

I am looking at buying some paint sealant for my recently powdercoated rims. I have read great things about klasse. Supposed to last 6-12 months and looks like I can do a few coats over a few days and get a crazy good gloss out of my rims while also protecting them.

anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? If it works as well as advertised I might do my whole car too. Sounds like a lot less painful than wax with nearly the same shine.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I am looking at buying some paint sealant for my recently powdercoated rims. I have read great things about klasse. Supposed to last 6-12 months and looks like I can do a few coats over a few days and get a crazy good gloss out of my rims while also protecting them.

anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? If it works as well as advertised I might do my whole car too. Sounds like a lot less painful than wax with nearly the same shine.
Subscribed :popcorn
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
+1
SoberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Subscribed :popcorn
lol am I missing something?

I am talking about this

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, klasse SG sealant, klasse sealant glase,klasse sealant
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just curious about the answer I don't know much about that so would like to know too. That stuff seems pretty legit thou. Couldn't you just use a high temp clear coat or something? I don't know thou that's why I subscribe to get answers too lol
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberGT View Post
I'm just curious about the answer I don't know much about that so would like to know too. That stuff seems pretty legit thou. Couldn't you just use a high temp clear coat or something? I don't know thou that's why I subscribe to get answers too lol
I am not sure. I am really new to powdercoated wheels so I am learning. I already found out, thankfully before I did something stupid, that I have to be careful with what I clean them with. looks like 100% of the rim cleaners sold at walmart, meijier, advance auto, autozone etc. will mar and scar the rims.

So reading around online people say to treat them like paint, well, that means waxing them, which then made me wonder if I can just use a sealant on them. I don't see why not. I also don't want to deal with the "i dont see why not" ruining my rims I've put a lot of money into. I still have to buy special Gel cleaners for the rims so as to not scratch them while cleaning them.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am not sure. I am really new to powdercoated wheels so I am learning. I already found out, thankfully before I did something stupid, that I have to be careful with what I clean them with. looks like 100% of the rim cleaners sold at walmart, meijier, advance auto, autozone etc. will mar and scar the rims.

So reading around online people say to treat them like paint, well, that means waxing them, which then made me wonder if I can just use a sealant on them. I don't see why not. I also don't want to deal with the "i dont see why not" ruining my rims I've put a lot of money into. I still have to buy special Gel cleaners for the rims so as to not scratch them while cleaning them.
Yeah I can understand that bro. I just Plasti dipped mine so I could see how I would like them and eventually I'll end up getting them painting for real. Powder coat is something I'm not really experienced with. I'll help you look for some answers online lol
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
No, no, just very interested in responses as I never heard of a p/c sealant.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
No, no, just very interested in responses as I never heard of a p/c sealant.
they are big in the auto industry. There is a "auto spa" near me that uses a "custom" sealant as they term it on cars they detail. You can still wax over the sealant but it is intended to protect the car from say swirl marks etc. Also if you have a swirl eliminator that fills in the swirl mark grooves you can do that, then a sealant over that to keep the swirls gone.

stuff seems awesome, i just want to see if it is safe for powder coat. They claim it can go on anything metal, plastic, glass (so windshield? how awesome would that be) etc.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

they are big in the auto industry. There is a "auto spa" near me that uses a "custom" sealant as they term it on cars they detail. You can still wax over the sealant but it is intended to protect the car from say swirl marks etc. Also if you have a swirl eliminator that fills in the swirl mark grooves you can do that, then a sealant over that to keep the swirls gone.

stuff seems awesome, i just want to see if it is safe for powder coat. They claim it can go on anything metal, plastic, glass (so windshield? how awesome would that be) etc.
That would be pretty sick maybe I'll pick some up and try it out on something plasti dipped see of it keeps that from messing up
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A true sealant is applied directly atop the clearcoat and needs to bond for in some cases 24 hours before any polish or was is applied. Not sure about powder coating, but if you say treat them like paint...then I guess you could apply a sealant before applying a wax....but I am not sure and would look into proper care for powder coated wheels....lots of debris, brake dust and heat as compared to painted surface on your panels.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post
A true sealant is applied directly atop the clearcoat and needs to bond for in some cases 24 hours before any polish or was is applied. Not sure about powder coating, but if you say treat them like paint...then I guess you could apply a sealant before applying a wax....but I am not sure and would look into proper care for powder coated wheels....lots of debris, brake dust and heat as compared to painted surface on your panels.
That's why I was asking. I waxed them and they look great but doing a sealant would be nice. The thing is the internet is so full of conflicting information concerning powder coated wheels.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's why I was asking. I waxed them and they look great but doing a sealant would be nice. The thing is the internet is so full of conflicting information concerning powder coated wheels.
Wish I could give better advice...just not sure on powder coated rims and would hate to steer you wrong.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wish I could give better advice...just not sure on powder coated rims and would hate to steer you wrong.
I appreciate that. Exact reason I havent done anything but wax them.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I appreciate that. Exact reason I havent done anything but wax them.
You most likely did this already...but did you speak with the manufacturer or whomever did the powder coating about protection....just my two cents. Someone has got to know how to treat powdercoating that actually is an expert... I have a few friends and if I find out a quality expert answer I will send it to you.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You most likely did this already...but did you speak with the manufacturer or whomever did the powder coating about protection....just my two cents. Someone has got to know how to treat powdercoating that actually is an expert... I have a few friends and if I find out a quality expert answer I will send it to you.
The shop that did it said just soap and water. When I asked about waxing them they were clueless. Which was odd because reading online a lot of people wax them. If you find out anything let me know! If anything I can seal a small part of one rim like the back of a spoke and see how it does.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The shop that did it said just soap and water. When I asked about waxing them they were clueless. Which was odd because reading online a lot of people wax them. If you find out anything let me know! If anything I can seal a small part of one rim like the back of a spoke and see how it does.
Not a bad idea....my personal fav sealant is CG 50/50. You can find it on Amazon cheaper than other sites. If I hear anything from an expert I will let you know.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not a bad idea....my personal fav sealant is CG 50/50. You can find it on Amazon cheaper than other sites. If I hear anything from an expert I will let you know.
I'll definitely take a look. Since I need to do a full clean and sealant on the car anyway might just test it on the rims in a spot you can't see. Just see what happens. Honestly cant see how it would hurt it. I doubt sealants have any acidic properties.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll definitely take a look. Since I need to do a full clean and sealant on the car anyway might just test it on the rims in a spot you can't see. Just see what happens. Honestly cant see how it would hurt it. I doubt sealants have any acidic properties.
Not sure on the chemical make up on sealants....but if your ever interested in my Croftgate line of products...just PM me for details.

Good luck...

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay... I just discussed treatment and protection of powder coated rims and got confirmation that our Croftgate Aquanil X or Wash N Wax will safely clean and our Quick N Slick will protect. Take a look at my Facebook page regarding this exact question as our technical advisor posted pics of his powder coated rims....you can find me at Croftgate ILL NW....visit and friend up if you would like.

Bottom line I think you need to stay away from harsh chemicals or cleaners....and of course reach out to me and I will always try to get an answer.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing