All...just reading all the comments and going to add mine you can agree or disagree with. Micro marring comes from washing with low quality wash and towels...specifically the towels. Cloth diapers, terry towels...all catch and reapply containments causing micro marring. ONLY use quality microfiber towels if you expect a quality finish and quality applications. You may all know I am a rep for Croftgate and I love the fact that I can wipe on and wipe off and complete a car in less than 40 minutes with an amazing shine and superior protection. On that subject, feel free to PM me and I will tell you everything about Croftgate.
I also seen some other excellent products mentioned and yes they are all excellent when applied correctly. Clay bar is a must and even better is a treatment if IronX which removes all containments imbedded on your paint surface. Use whatever products you want, BUT DON'T expect quality results with less than quality applications or products.
Below is my belief on treating your car...and yes I use Croftgate and you can replace with any products you would like but the steps remain the same.
1. Wash car with a QUALITY shampoo or wash...leave Dawn For your dishes. I use Croftgate Wash n Wax with less than half gallon of water and no rinse.
2. Clay bar the surface at least once a year...a very important step before using any machine polisher or any hand applications.
3. Seal the paint...I use CG 50/50 with a two coat application and allow to cure for 24 hours before any further applications.
4. Clean car with Croftgate Aquanil X which will clean and protect the surface.
5. Treat entire vehicle with Croftgate Quick N Slick which combined with Aquanil X allows all the polymers to bond and leave an amazing shine & protection
6. Clean and treat tires and wheels with Croftgate Tire shine ...Do not apply any product to tires that contains petroleum products as it will degrade the sidewalls.
7. Enjoy and follow up as needed with Aquanil x and Quick n Slick.
Feel free to visit my FB page for more information (Croftgate Ill NW) and as I said you can use any products you believe to be quality...but the steps above are critical to maintain a show car shine. ONLY use MF towels...and stay away from products that have petroleum and please keep Dawn in the kitchen unless you are okay and plan to do a full strip to your painted surface...which in some situations is okay....but not for regular washing. I will also tell you most micro marring happens while drying your surface...again ONLY MF towels. This is why I use Croftgate as it is waterless and prevents excessive drying and water spots. If you do wash with water, dry with quality MF towels use a electric leaf blower...but do not dry with terry cloth, chamois, or other inferior products.
With respect to machine polishing....UNLESS you are an expert get a DA polisher...and I suggest a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads...easier to control. Always start with the least aggressive action first...in the past I used Meg's 205 with a white pad to and then a black pad to polish then wax. And yes now I use Croftgate compound and polish which is also a two step system using the same color pads.
Take care of your paint...YOU change your oil and repair needed mechanical items....DON'T cheat your paint care and protection...it's what YOU and everyone sees everyday and is a reflection on you. Sorry for the rant but I have a passion for the best REFLECTION PERFECTION I can achieve...and if I can help in anyway...feel free to PM me about Croftgate products or if I can add any advice about superior protection I am always happy to offer my advice.
Lastly if you disagree with any of my comments above that is fine....this is MY system and it works for me 100%....take a look at my pics and please enjoy your day.
2011Premium Grabber Blue GT Convertible -GTYUP
1 of 56 as optioned !!!