Think twice before you PLASTI DIP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Think twice before you PLASTI DIP

What an f'ing nightmare this has been to remove Plastidip! I removed it from my fog lights, pony emblem, grille outlay and my hood vents. Screw this stuff! I basically just spent 2 hours ruining my hood vents. It would not come off in one piece, it gets stuck at every corner and crevice on the hood vents. The only way to get it out of there was a screw driver wrapped in microfiber towel. All great right? Yea except the plasti dip itself scratches the paint when you rubbing it off. So not only are my hood vents scratched, but you can't get it off the honey comb parts of the vent, so it looks like double s**t.

I liked the look at first, but give it a week and the plasti dip just looks like rubber crap. It's not flat black. It's like a faded piece of black plastic. Now my AM wheels are plasti dipped and guess what? They're about 5 more coats of plasti dip and 5 coats of a gloss black paint, because if what I removed so far is any indication of what I can look forward too pulling it off the wheels, well screw that. My wheels will stay dipped, but I'm painting them over in gloss black, because every little piece of dirt sticks to the plasti dip.

Being 32 years old I should have known better than to spray rubber paint on my $35,000 car. These guys at dipyourcar.com must have a field day scratching the day lights out of their paint when removing this stuff. And before I catch flak, my hood vents had 6 coats!! Sprayed from all angles. Might as well order new hood vents or have these repainted down the road when I have a new spoiler painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3232950532.jpg
Views:	2241
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	113702  
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I refuse to plasti dip. Not because everyone and their brothers do it but because every time I see a poor plasti dip job I always think "I'd screw it up like this guy." Lol
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
the thicker the coat the easier it will be to pull off in one piece. maybe your problem on the vents was that you didn't put enough, or the fact that there are holes every inch so that won't help you peel it off all together. I've never had a problem peeling it off anything. just make sure the you put enough coats
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I refuse to plasti dip. Not because everyone and their brothers do it but because every time I see a poor plasti dip job I always think "I'd screw it up like this guy." Lol
I should have stayed with my guy instinct and stayed away. I followed their guide to the letter too. 6 coats man!
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
They say if it is flaking to spray on a fresh coat, wait til it dries and then it will come off in one piece. Over time it can flake but when it's fresh it shouldn't. I haven't tried it, just what they recommend.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Im sorry you had a bad experience. If you check out my plasti dip thread youll see what ive done so far. I messed up a couple times too so i just let it set over night then peeled it off. Came off really easy for me. You have to prep the surface really well and apply a nice coat of wax.
GWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Apply a coat of wax before or after?? I've been dipping cars since 07 and a few times I've ran across this problem. You have to do a lot do coats because this happens. Spray goof off, let it sit for a couple mins and then take it off with a micro and will come off like butter.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Apply a coat of wax before or after?? I've been dipping cars since 07 and a few times I've ran across this problem. You have to do a lot do coats because this happens. Spray goof off, let it sit for a couple mins and then take it off with a micro and will come off like butter.
I always clean the surface with stoners goo gone spray. Wipe it down with damp micro fiber to remove reasdue. Apply a fresh nice coat of wax. Then begin tape / spray process.
GWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok I just clean it with soap and water.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Name:   image-910182448.jpg
Views: 10881
Size:  34.2 KB

Easy off oven cleaner work wonders no joke
Mustangdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
What an f'ing nightmare this has been to remove Plastidip! I removed it from my fog lights, pony emblem, grille outlay and my hood vents. Screw this stuff! I basically just spent 2 hours ruining my hood vents. It would not come off in one piece, it gets stuck at every corner and crevice on the hood vents. The only way to get it out of there was a screw driver wrapped in microfiber towel. All great right? Yea except the plasti dip itself scratches the paint when you rubbing it off. So not only are my hood vents scratched, but you can't get it off the honey comb parts of the vent, so it looks like double s**t.

I liked the look at first, but give it a week and the plasti dip just looks like rubber crap. It's not flat black. It's like a faded piece of black plastic. Now my AM wheels are plasti dipped and guess what? They're about 5 more coats of plasti dip and 5 coats of a gloss black paint, because if what I removed so far is any indication of what I can look forward too pulling it off the wheels, well screw that. My wheels will stay dipped, but I'm painting them over in gloss black, because every little piece of dirt sticks to the plasti dip.

Being 32 years old I should have known better than to spray rubber paint on my $35,000 car. These guys at dipyourcar.com must have a field day scratching the day lights out of their paint when removing this stuff. And before I catch flak, my hood vents had 6 coats!! Sprayed from all angles. Might as well order new hood vents or have these repainted down the road when I have a new spoiler painted.
Well they make dip dissolver now and it works good, vid on youtube of it
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yea. Ive said it before. You might think it looks good but plastic dip screams CHEAP. that crap will never touch my car. Did it on my 07. It was a nightmare on the wheels. And yes it is hard to get off. IMHO
Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

That stinks!

But I have used plasti dip on a couple of things on my and only had a hard time peeling it off my hood( I did a center stripe) and the only reason our gave me an issue was because my hood paint was already messed up, that's why I did the stripe. Other than that,I have had zero problems with it
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Plasti dip always makes me immediately think ricer. Sorry plasti dip gents.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Lol that's fine I understand why people look down on it.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
People can look down on it all they want. I've done rear decks in paint, vinyl, and dip...and the dip just has a better overall look and finish..then if you are tired of it just peel. I've changed my back end up several times with dip and for me it peels so easy and leaves the finish spotless.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
People can look down on it all they want. I've done rear decks in paint, vinyl, and dip...and the dip just has a better overall look and finish..then if you are tired of it just peel. I've changed my back end up several times with dip and for me it peels so easy and leaves the finish spotless.
+1 same here.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plasti dip has looked better than paint in your experience? Are you skilled in auto paint?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Put the Tint on, take the Tint off. Put the Plastic Dip on, take the Plastic Dip off! It SUCKS to be You!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ive always had good luck with plasti dip. Make sure you apply it on a cool surface and out of the sun. Ive done my rear spoiler, rear lower fascia, and deck lid no problems and I have taken them off and reapplyed with no issues. If its done right it doesn't look cheap.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Another +1. My grille emblem that i dipped is gone since i put the billet grilles in, but my faux cap still looks great. Not too sure if i would feel 100% comfortable putting it on paint tho haha
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I put plastidip on my chrome wheels every winter and peel it off every spring/summer. Works like a charm. Keeps my wheels from pitting, and they still have more shine than ever! Sometimes you just have bad luck
hubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Looks good to me..

Name:	image-2971287271.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	787.1 KB
ID:	113819
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Plasti dip has looked better than paint in your experience? Are you skilled in auto paint?
actually i've painted my share of vehicles. did my last truck myself turned out pretty nice for a novice.

my point was more toward the fact anyone can pick up a can of dip and have a nice finish when done if they just add the proper layers, with no prep needed but a simple wipe down of the surface. whereas with paint you'd get a little more in depth to keep from having orange peel.

even if a person somehow messed up a dip job they can easily fix it by pulling it off and redoing it. a bit harder to correct a painting error, but doable none the less. if you dislike plastidip that's perfectly ok, but for others it's a great product. in fact i just painted my upper intake in the stuff a few weeks ago. not only has it perfectly held up to the heat but it's put a very nice finish on it. probably gonna do the entire underside of my hood in the stuff.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

actually i've painted my share of vehicles. did my last truck myself turned out pretty nice for a novice.

my point was more toward the fact anyone can pick up a can of dip and have a nice finish when done if they just add the proper layers, with no prep needed but a simple wipe down of the surface. whereas with paint you'd get a little more in depth to keep from having orange peel.

even if a person somehow messed up a dip job they can easily fix it by pulling it off and redoing it. a bit harder to correct a painting error, but doable none the less. if you dislike plastidip that's perfectly ok, but for others it's a great product. in fact i just painted my upper intake in the stuff a few weeks ago. not only has it perfectly held up to the heat but it's put a very nice finish on it. probably gonna do the entire underside of my hood in the stuff.
Is there a different plasti dip for the engine area to withstand such heat or is it already capable of such temperature?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd be afraid of it melting and starting fire lol no Thanks lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is there a different plasti dip for the engine area to withstand such heat or is it already capable of such temperature?
No do not use plasti dip in the engine bay. It will melt very quickly. Only thing that will withstand that kind of heat will be engine enamel.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Plasti dip is rated up to 200 degrees. I wouldn't dip a set of headers, but a lot of people dip their exhaust tips with no issues. I dipped my cold air intake and strut tops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-204715991.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	113913  
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Plasti dip is rated up to 200 degrees. I wouldn't dip a set of headers, but a lot of people dip their exhaust tips with no issues. I dipped my cold air intake and strut tops.
I want your intake! Now!
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have also dipped my cold air intake and have had no problems
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've dipped my..... Nevermind :p
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Ive only dipped the taillight surrounds on my 98 but my paint is meh so i dont really give a crap if it messes something up lol. I wouldnt allow a can of plasti dip anywhere near a brand new stang if i had one though...just my opinion
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
CAI abd strut tops is one thing, coil covers, valve covers, intake mani, etc., are a completely different story. Sorry should have been more clear. I wouldn't dip anything that sees a significant amount of heat.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

I want your intake! Now!
Ha! It didn't give incredible gains, but it sure looks nice.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Ha! It didn't give incredible gains, but it sure looks nice.
Nah like the whole upper intake..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing