What can I use to strip my wax? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What can I use to strip my wax?

Ok so I have searched the internet and I am giving my girl a full detail today. I was just going to wash with dawn dish soap, clay bar, and wax. It needs clay bar you can feel deposits on the paint. Although when reading about this wax I was gonna buy they were talking about alcohol baths and how that would strip your car of everything. They didn't talk about having to use clay bar either and the wax I am going to use can't be use on top of other waxes. Soooo has anyone used alcohol stripping and if so do you still need to clay bar. My thoughts behind this was if I didn't need to spend the money on clay bar I wouldn't but I was also hesitant about the alcohol thing! LOL
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Use dawn dish soap, the regular blue kind. Don't use the moisturizer stuff. BUT dontjust clay and wax. Wash, clay, I wash again but not really necessary) then POLISH, wax. Polish is important.

I use zaino kits, they recommend using dawn to strip everything off before using their products. Don't use dawn as a regular wash.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Auto geek can answer all your questions......

Car Wax Removers

To get the clearest finish from your wax or paint sealant, the paint should be totally clean. A wax remover will strip off existing wax, sealant, and silicones to promote better bonding of the new wax and a clearer gloss. Wax removers come in many varieties. Prewax cleaners and polishes, paint decontaminators, detailing clay, and certain exterior cleaners can all be used to remove wax.

Wax removers are also made specifically to remove white wax stains from plastic trim. If cleaned within a few days, you can erase wax stains from trim easily and permanently.

Removing wax off plastic trim:
If you have dried or caked on wax residue on plastic trim, we’ve found that Duragloss Wax Eraser and Griot’s Garage Dried-On Wax Remover are tough to beat. Either product is inexpensive and works great for removing dried on wax residue that’s relatively fresh. If your vehicle’s plastic trim has dried on wax that’s been there for months or even years, BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner will safely remove it without damaging surrounding surfaces. We’ve found the best way to remove dried on wax on plastic trim with BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner is to spray it directly onto a terry cloth towel and gently rub the surface. Be sure to protect the plastic or rubber trim after cleaning with a trim protectant like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or Black WOW.

Prepping vehicle for application of a wax or sealant:
Don’t use dish soap to strip your wax! If you’re looking for a product to prep the paint and get it ready for a new coat of wax or sealant, you have a couple of options: non-abrasive polish or spray on wax remover. Leave the dish soap for the dishes and use one of the dozens of products available that will safely remove old waxes and sealants.

Popular non-abrasive polishes include:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Popular spray on wax removers include:

Griot’s Garage Paint Prep
CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser
Detailer’s Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner

What’s the difference between non-abrasive polishes and spray on wax removers? A non-abrasive polish will remove previously applied waxes and sealants while also deep cleaning your paint, ridding it of below surface contaminants. A non-abrasive polish is designed to be applied by hand or machine. It is the preferred method for removing old waxes and sealants. A spray on wax remover will chemically strip the paint of all previously applied waxes and sealants. These are generally spray on, wipe off products. They will not remove below surface contaminants. If you're the type of person that finds yourself applying a different wax every chance you get, a spray on wax remover is for you.

Whether you’re removing wax from paint or trim, you’ll be sure to find exactly what you’re looking for on this page!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! Ill use this for next time. Already almost finished today didnt even think about autogeek
Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Zaino man. ZAINO!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Zaino man. ZAINO!
Best there is. I have used this for years. It's awesome on black. Makes it look like black chrome.
mknlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Saw a car used Zaino parked next to 22 other mustangs. The one that used Zaino was about 3 times shinier than the rest. It was mind blowing.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet def checking that stuff out then. This wax I used was disappointing to say the least :/ NXT tech wax 2.0 meguiars it sucks.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Use dawn dish soap, the regular blue kind. Don't use the moisturizer stuff. BUT dontjust clay and wax. Wash, clay, I wash again but not really necessary) then POLISH, wax. Polish is important.

I use zaino kits, they recommend using dawn to strip everything off before using their products. Don't use dawn as a regular wash.
Ah. I didnt use any polish :/ I used regular dawn...then clay bar....then wax...I guess I will look at zaino and do it that way next time. I have some meguiars regular car wash to wash my car.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Sweet def checking that stuff out then. This wax I used was disappointing to say the least :/ NXT tech wax 2.0 meguiars it sucks.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Ah. I didnt use any polish :/ I used regular dawn...then clay bar....then wax...I guess I will look at zaino and do it that way next time. I have some meguiars regular car wash to wash my car.
I believe the ultimate show car zaino kit is around $80 which includes a lot. There are other kits in the $100 range as well. Zaino goes a looooong way so you won't be spending much on anything. I've had the same kit for over a year and use it all twice a month. Each and every time it gets shinier and shinier. I get asked every now and then at car meets how I'm able to get white to glisten so much more than the average white car. Meguiars is great stuff too. I use it on my DD.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Zaino is expensive at first but well worth the money. The kit will lastyou along time. Plus your car will be the best looking anywhere you take it. I'll post up some pics of my marauder after the Zaino treatment.
mknlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post

Agree 100%. I was a regular user of Meg's NXT but found the new formula is not good...IMO. Zaino is a great product as well as DoDo Juice.....and you know that I am now using only Croftgate.

Dawn will most def strip down your car...just make sure it is spayed down to get all the soap and residue off the paint. Clay bar is a very important step and I do mine annually and she is a Garage queen...followed by a full compound and machine polish. Regular maintenance and protection always very important using the products that you find to be the best for your paint AND for how your car is exposed to the elements. Every area is different (dust,bugs,winter,heat,etc)...I have tried them all and still have $$$$$$ of products in my arsenal....I am always more than happy to help with questions you may have about Croftgate OR other products as well...from my personal experience.

Keep it shining...and always be safe.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing