Detailing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Detailing

Anyone into detailing their car?
Purchased a slightly used 2013 and have swirl marks that I want to get rid of. Has anyone really gotten into polishing and detailing - if so are their books or info related to this?

Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Congrats on your new stang! You should post some pics of it.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I find it very hard if not impossible to remove swirl marks. I would just clay bar it and then wax it using meguires hydrophobic wax. It would look awesome after the wax and usually lasts 4-6 months.
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Depending on how bad, you're looking at a DA, different cutting strengths and polishing compound before you wax/seal.

A blue pad and good wax may do the trick. I would claybar first.

My car has some swirls and is black. I give it a good wash and follow the dry cycle with some quick detailer then polishing with a good microfiber cloth.

Here's an example of what a weekly wash result looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_203733.png
Views:	118
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	119997  
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
For bad scratches/swirls... Random orbital on half speed with wool pad and clear safe compound (meguires ultimate compound). Just make sure to move it around. 3 to 4 gentle passes.

For normal polishing (and after the above), soft foam pad and good ultra fine machine polish on random orbital, half speed... 6-8 gentle passes in criss cross pattern.

Then good wax and buff by hand.

(Trust me. I have a black car... I know the evils of fine scratches and swirls).

Also, stop using any microfiber that EVER hits the ground. Even after washing, still will have contaminates. That's partially creating the swirls/scratches. Same for car wash sponge.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
For bad scratches/swirls... Random orbital on half speed with wool pad and clear safe compound (meguires ultimate compound). Just make sure to move it around. 3 to 4 gentle passes.

For normal polishing (and after the above), soft foam pad and good ultra fine machine polish on random orbital, half speed... 6-8 gentle passes in criss cross pattern.

(Trust me. I have a black car... I know the evils of fine scratches and swirls).

Also, stop using any microfiber that EVER hits the ground. Even after washing, still will have contaminates. That's partially creating the swirls/scratches. Same for car wash sponge.
I learned about dirt the hard way. I thought it was clean and I had a twig in it. Scratched it to hell. Now if it touches the ground, I just use it for rim rags. I have fresh black on half my white car. It's a second job
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Yes sir, anything that hits the ground, goes into the greasy rag bucket never to see paint again.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So does the compound take the place of of a step? (i.e. polishing?) I still have yet to do a spring detail and my swirls are friggen ridiculous as well. Hoping to get it done in a couple weekends when I have some free time.

My normal detail process goes: Wash, Clay, Wash, Polish, Wax. (All by hand as well) Would I add the compound step after the second wash? Is it okay to compound by hand, or do I need to invest in a buffer to really get good results?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
It's part of a process to correct swirls and some scratches among other things. I was referencing a compound that's part of polishing. You can polish with and without abrasives. I guess I could have said, "buff".

Not to run you off, but this site is a wealth of knowledge. Experts post videos and general, "lovin' on your car" information is shared.
Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

BTW, I would not claybar often. But that's my choice. A good paint sealant/wax will prevent contaminants from bonding with your clear/paint.

Kona Blue can be as challenging as black to keep beautiful?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I highly recommend investing in a DA polisher ....it takes a bit longer, but 100% safe for a non pro. I have had amazing success using Croftgate 2 step products using a white CCS pad for the compound step 1 and a black CCS pad for the polish step 2. I have also used Meg's 105 and 205 same pads great results.

I also suggest Autogeek.net and if I can be if any assistance feel free to let me know. Good luck!

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you get a DA polisher, you should be able to remove all of your swirl marks and minor scratches. Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,
Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing