Mustang Style Gauges Installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mustang Style Gauges Installation

I've read guide and guide on how to do this and still...have no clue.

So I was hoping(like hope + ing) some of you mechanics could help me.

Step 1. Lol..."disconnect the battery. First remove negative and then positive." Im not sure how to do this but I think it means the clamps.

Step 2-7. "Remove the headlight, screws, lens, put on the gauges." Sounds simple im sure I can do this.

Step 8. "Wire gauges to headlight control unit. Remove metrix hex bolts." Sure. "Connect the red wire to the gray one." It says I can connect with a soldering iron. I bought one today and looked at a few guides on how to use it. Looked simple enough. But I have a 110 volt outlet and this is a 120V iron. Am I about to f**k some s**t up???
"The black wire can be connected to the ground or a hole drilled in the chassis." I have no idea what that means. I need help on that.

Step 9-11. I think these are just reassembling.

I guess I only need help with step 8...also about the dimmer switch, I have a thing in front of the cup holders and next to the...what is that thing called...the shift stick? or whatever, that I guess is used to hold coins? I would like to replace that with the switch. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow so yall know what im talking about. 8==D
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
...a 110 volt outlet and this is a 120V iron...I have no idea what that means...what is that thing called...the shift stick?

Not to be a downer but it sounds like you are nowhere ready yet to do any do-it-yourself projects. If this is a serious request I would suggest finding a buddy who is has been around for a while and have them explain things. No offense but from the questions you are asking you sound like you are about one step away from really screwing things up.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
...a 110 volt outlet and this is a 120V iron...I have no idea what that means...what is that thing called...the shift stick?

Not to be a downer but it sounds like you are nowhere ready yet to do any do-it-yourself projects. If this is a serious request I would suggest finding a buddy who is has been around for a while and have them explain things. No offense but from the questions you are asking you sound like you are about one step away from really screwing things up.
Im sorry I forgot what the stick shift was called last night. Apparently the 110 and 120 voltage thing didn't matter. Now what do I do with the black wire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Now what do I do with the black wire?

The chassis (frame/body combination) is the common return or "ground" on your car. The negative (-) battery cable connects directly to it or something that is connected to it. You have to find a spot on your car that is part of the chassis and connect the black wire to that. It can be any bare metal component under your dash or under the hood. If you look around under the hood you can find wires that are connected by means of some sort of wire terminal to a screw that is part of the chassis. If nothing else, you can connect it to the negative battery terminal. Check YouTube for gauge installation. There are a lot of videos concerning that subject. Good luck
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post

It says I said this on 7/30 but it feels so much longer than that. It took me 3 days to get the headlight knob off. Then as I put on the guages, guess who's dad told him he had a gt 50 times? Meeeee!!! So of course I ordered gt guages, had to return those. Got normal ones monday. So today I thought ok 1hr installation time I got from 1030-300 lets do this. Well its 337 and im not f*cking done, not even close. After removing the soldering job from a few days ago I had to do it again. Then I put some electrical tape over it, I hope it'll stay but probably won't. That's the red wire. With it being 100 degrees, burning my hand on the damn soldering iron, and only 20 minutes left, I got stuck on the black wire part again!

So ill ask you for help one more time. I see there is a few metal bars behind the guage cluster, can I attach the black wire to that? What do I do with the black box? Why are the instructions super hard to follow? Oh and you were totally right, I had(have) no idea what im doing.

Edit: and I still cant spell gauges right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing