In what order do i detail - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
In what order do i detail

Ok so from what I understand this is the order

1. Clay bar
2. Polish
3.wax

Is that right?
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994
Ok so from what I understand this is the order

1. Clay bar
2. Polish
3.wax

Is that right?
That's what I do minus the polishing
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
so you all wash then dry then claybar... I'm going to a car show this weekend and have never really cared much about any other car I've had than to give it more than a wash and wax. The claybar I just rub over the car correct? Nothing else special?
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
so you all wash then dry then claybar... I'm going to a car show this weekend and have never really cared much about any other car I've had than to give it more than a wash and wax. The claybar I just rub over the car correct? Nothing else special?
Spray quick wax the run the clay over the area u sprayed, then wipe the area with a microfiber towl
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yes WASH, CLAYBAR, POLISH, THEN WAX. Make sure you wash it!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't recommend wiping up the spray wax with microfiber towel. They aren't very absorbent.
Spray the spray wax on (make sure it's fairly wet to prevent scratching) clay that area, then thoroughly dry with a regular towel (spray wax tends to streak if let dry on its own)

And make sure to keep applying more spray wax if you need to scrub an area with your clay bar (bug spot or something) if you're scrubbing a big and the area underneath the clay bar goes dry you'll risk scratching the car.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

And if you plan to dress your tires, do so before you clay the car. The overspray of tire dressing is inevitable.
Calandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandro View Post
I don't recommend wiping up the spray wax with microfiber towel. They aren't very absorbent.
Spray the spray wax on (make sure it's fairly wet to prevent scratching) clay that area, then thoroughly dry with a regular towel (spray wax tends to streak if let dry on its own)

And make sure to keep applying more spray wax if you need to scrub an area with your clay bar (bug spot or something) if you're scrubbing a big and the area underneath the clay bar goes dry you'll risk scratching the car.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

And if you plan to dress your tires, do so before you clay the car. The overspray of tire dressing is inevitable.
I've never used spay wax with the clay bar as a lubricant, I've always used the detail spray. That's even what comes in the kit. Was this a typo or is this something I don't know about?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes use the detail spray that comes with it. Not spray wax (never heard anyone using spray wax :/). And Microfiber towels work great. ^you must have some crappy towels cuz ive never had that problem. A regular towel will leave fuzziness all over ur car. You really should use two MF towels. One for the spray detailer and one for wiping it dry. It will look fantastic and spray detailer doesnt streak. Really
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I work for a Chevy dealer in the detail department. Spray wax/quick wax is the best for clay that we use, but if you get a spray in your kit then use that
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue

I've never used spay wax with the clay bar as a lubricant, I've always used the detail spray. That's even what comes in the kit. Was this a typo or is this something I don't know about?
It was a typo lol sorry
Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandro View Post
I work for a Chevy dealer in the detail department. Spray wax/quick wax is the best for clay that we use, but if you get a spray in your kit then use that
Key word CHEVY... lmfao. Jk
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just checked out what we use at work.

It's called speedy glaze, by car kem.
But like I said before. No sense in spending extra money. Just use what comes with it haha

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Hope that helps!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

Spray quick wax the run the clay over the area u sprayed, then wipe the area with a microfiber towl
Don't spray wax as you clay bar, thats ill advised. Use a quick detailer spray. You should wash again after clay bar just to make sure you don't leave any clay residue anywhere. Then polish and wax.

JUSY BUY THE ZAINO KIT AND YOU'RE SET.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I agree with and will add my three cents....

Claying is both important and easy. Use a QD for the lube, the point is to allow the clay to easily remove containments on the surface. I like to flatten the clay so it fits in my palm which gives a little extra coverage and helps me to not drop it. If the clay EVER leaves your hand and hits the floor...THROW IT AWAY. Always knead the clay after each panel or more..inspect it regularly.

I would suggest a polish that has a sealant quality to it which will help to fill in any micro marring and swirls...or use a true sealant first. Polish always before waxing.

Choose your products carefully and I believe you need to stick with ONE product line up...it's never good to mix different brands for polish, wax, etc. Those that know me know what I use and it is a single line up of one brand (Croftgate)...but whatever you select...check out the reviews and make sure YOU like it for your paint.

Enjoy and I am always happy to help in anyway that I can.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Yes use the detail spray that comes with it. Not spray wax (never heard anyone using spray wax :/). And Microfiber towels work great. ^you must have some crappy towels cuz ive never had that problem. A regular towel will leave fuzziness all over ur car. You really should use two MF towels. One for the spray detailer and one for wiping it dry. It will look fantastic and spray detailer doesnt streak. Really
Great advice and I AGREE 100%

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing