Help with oxidized paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Help with oxidized paint

I havent seen too many posts about paint on here, so sorry if this is kind of out of the norm, but im looking for some suggestions. I have a couple of spots of dull paint on my mustang. Its a 2000 model with original paint, so its been weathered a little. The biggest dull spot is on the front driver side fender. It doesnt feel rough, and no material rubs off when you pass your finger over it, the spot is just noticibly dull. Also, the front bumper has multiple white spots on it. I suspect it to be the clearcoat peeling off in places, but im not 100% sure. Just wondering if there is any way to fix that as well. Ive been looking at other places online but it all seems like another language to me when it comes to detailing haha. I dont what a clay bar is, nor most of the products and pads they recommend. Sorry if this is such a difficult question to answer, but any response is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Turtle wax professional grade ( bottle and a liquid ) rubbing and polishing compound with a microfiber towel and some elbow grease!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
Turtle wax professional grade ( bottle and a liquid ) rubbing and polishing compound with a microfiber towel and some elbow grease!
What do you mean liquid and a bottle? Are there two different Turtle Wax products I need? Sorry if im being slow right now haha. And is that for the dull paint, or the suspected clearcoat peeling? Thanks for the feedback!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
A high speed buffer. You must be very careful or you will burn the paint.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
A high speed buffer. You must be very careful or you will burn the paint.
I was kind of hoping for some solution that could do it by hand. I realize professional detailers typically use mechanical buffers and whatnot, but I dont want to have to drop a ton of money into it haha. Thabks for the feedback though!!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You can do it by hand but its going to take awhile. And just go to autozone and ask for what I stated. They will know. It's 2 different products and should be 7.99

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
You can do it by hand but its going to take awhile. And just go to autozone and ask for what I stated. They will know. It's 2 different products and should be 7.99
I know, im prepared to spend a day or so making it look good again! And ill definitely do that. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post

I know, im prepared to spend a day or so making it look good again! And ill definitely do that. Thanks!
Yea turtle wax and alot of elbow grease lol
Remember clean car first, apply wax in tight small circles, wait for the wax to turn dull colored, take microfiber clothe and wipe off and repeat until shine
I wax my car and just started some spray waxes, basically once you can toss your clothe on the hood and it'll slide off because its so smooth, mission complete but that takes months and months of waxing atleast once a week

Then u must maintain

Make sure to take some befores and afters so we can see the progress
Blovett55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blovett55 View Post

Yea turtle wax and alot of elbow grease lol
Remember clean car first, apply wax in tight small circles, wait for the wax to turn dull colored, take microfiber clothe and wipe off and repeat until shine
I wax my car and just started some spray waxes, basically once you can toss your clothe on the hood and it'll slide off because its so smooth, mission complete but that takes months and months of waxing atleast once a week

Then u must maintain

Make sure to take some befores and afters so we can see the progress
Ill definitely take some before and after pics! But im not looking for a show room finish on my car lol. I like to show off my car, but its a daily driver haha, so im not sure about waxing it once a week. Especially with school and everything. But im definitely going ti try my best to make it look epic again!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Turtle wax is ****. Go with Meguiars. You can get it in a paste or liquid. A clay bar will clean the paint up before waxing and if you can follow directions on how to build a entertainment center then you can do the same with clay bar instructions......it's that simple. Start simple with a wash,clay and wax. If that doesn't work then you will need to step up to a machine polish.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Turtle wax is ****. Go with Meguiars. You can get it in a paste or liquid. A clay bar will clean the paint up before waxing and if you can follow directions on how to build a entertainment center then you can do the same with clay bar instructions......it's that simple. Start simple with a wash,clay and wax. If that doesn't work then you will need to step up to a machine polish.
Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Still new here and didnt know there was a detailing section haha. And ive read that meguiars was the top class stuff as far as detailing goes, but you also pay for it. Ill see what I can do, but I dont want to drop too much money on paint right now haha
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
+1000. Meguiars is better and u really need to clay bar. I like the liquid and it is easy to apply and comes off easy
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Megs isn't that expensive. You can pick it up at any parts store or online.

MeguiarsDirect.com:Official Meguiars Online Store | MeguiarsDirect.com
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I have some supplies now. I have a clay bar, rubbing compound, polish, and wax. I know wax is the last step, and I think clay bar is first step? What comes in between? Haha
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Wash, clay bar, polish, wax
Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think you have some good feedback on how to take care of it.like they said just ask someone at autozone or other car store they will hook you up.you shouldn't have to wax it every week and it will still have a nice shine.good luck
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing