Factory Paint Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Factory Paint Issues

Can anyone tell me if the "scratches" on my fender and bumper look like factory paint issues? The clearcoat on top does not feel scratched. It possibly looks like the clearcoat underneath is spalling/cracking from the inside of the coating. Has anyone had this issue? Bought the car like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2440453414.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	124717   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-339724110.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	124718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1131882665.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	124719  
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What did the previous owner say about the scratches? It's a 2008, go back and look to see if anyone has had the same problem, try consumer reports....Looks like you bought a pig in a poke...
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Bought it from a dealer and they said it came into their lot like that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's not factory paint... It wasnt prepped correctly before adding clearcoat
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
That's not factory paint... It wasnt prepped correctly before adding clearcoat
Suppose I need to take to a body shop and have it stripped, repainted and new clearcoat.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it is factory paint with the basecoat cracking for some reason and the clearcoat being polished to shine on the outside... It's strange, plus I can see the hood isn't suffering the same thing, I'm guessing the good alone was pointed separate

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Hood alone was painted separate*
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The strange thing is that it only appears on the driver side fender and front bumper. I have a dent from a minor accident that needs repair (damn NYC taxis) so I probably will have the body shop make the proper corrections.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegnin1 View Post
The strange thing is that it only appears on the driver side fender and front bumper. I have a dent from a minor accident that needs repair (damn NYC taxis) so I probably will have the body shop make the proper corrections.
That looks like someone was backing out of a parking space and got the fender and bumper with their fender and bumper. Pretty pissy job of repairing it. Know any history of the car? Did you run a CarFax check?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I did check the carfax and no accidents. Only the one fenderbender that I was involved in with a NYC taxi cab that thought I was invisible apparently after only owning it for 5 months. Talk about pissed off! I am going to have my body shop just bring it down to bare metal, paint and clear coat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing