Where do I get started detailing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Where do I get started detailing?

My 05 stang was bought from my fathers wife about 8 months ago , who used it as a 5 day a week, 120 mile commuter. I dont think shes ever had it detailed in any way besides a wash. The paint is very imperfect as far as swirls and very minor scratches. There arent any major flaws though.

To someone thats never detailed before, where do I get started and how can I do it wouthoit screwing up the paint even more?

Im 18, and know absolutely nothing about detailing.
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Trial and error. Do some research on some of the detailing forums like Autogeek.

Take a look at this video. Hope it helps.

DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Trial and error. Do some research on some of the detailing forums like Autogeek.

Claybar then wax
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by qccoles View Post
My 05 stang was bought from my fathers wife about 8 months ago , who used it as a 5 day a week, 120 mile commuter. I dont think shes ever had it detailed in any way besides a wash. The paint is very imperfect as far as swirls and very minor scratches. There arent any major flaws though.

To someone thats never detailed before, where do I get started and how can I do it wouthoit screwing up the paint even more?

Im 18, and know absolutely nothing about detailing.
You can never go wrong with a good hand wash.
After that, get a quality touch-up paint, and cover the little rock-chips, and paint scratches. Be very careful with this step, as too much touch-up paint looks as bad as leaving the chips and scratches uncovered. And, make sure you let the paint dry completely before proceeding.

Meguiars makes 2 products that could help with the swirls and clearcoat scratches. One is called Polishing Compound, which is similar to Rubbing Compound, but isn't nearly as abrasive. The other product is a Swirl remover, and will help with really light scratches. Use one, or both, then wax the hell out of your car afterwards. Don't cut corners or rush the job. Show your car the love she's been lacking all these years.

For the interior, the level of dirt and grime you're likely facing will require pulling some of the panels. I use Simple Green, properly diluted, for all of the tough grime on the plastic, with either a sponge or a green scrubber pad. On the textured plastic, you can be more aggressive with your scrubbing, but be careful on the smoother surfaces. Clean EVERY INCH of the hard surfaces. Work systematically, starting in one spot, and working your way around the cabin, and ending where you started. After you've done a rough scrub/wipe, you can go back with any interior cleaner of your choice, and wipe again.

The good news is that, if you take your time and do this the right way, then maintain it, you'll only work this hard once.

Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

Thanks alot! That video was very helpful. I wasn't sure as to which steps come when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
You can never go wrong with a good hand wash.
After that, get a quality touch-up paint, and cover the little rock-chips, and paint scratches. Be very careful with this step, as too much touch-up paint looks as bad as leaving the chips and scratches uncovered. And, make sure you let the paint dry completely before proceeding.

Meguiars makes 2 products that could help with the swirls and clearcoat scratches. One is called Polishing Compound, which is similar to Rubbing Compound, but isn't nearly as abrasive. The other product is a Swirl remover, and will help with really light scratches. Use one, or both, then wax the hell out of your car afterwards. Don't cut corners or rush the job. Show your car the love she's been lacking all these years.

For the interior, the level of dirt and grime you're likely facing will require pulling some of the panels. I use Simple Green, properly diluted, for all of the tough grime on the plastic, with either a sponge or a green scrubber pad. On the textured plastic, you can be more aggressive with your scrubbing, but be careful on the smoother surfaces. Clean EVERY INCH of the hard surfaces. Work systematically, starting in one spot, and working your way around the cabin, and ending where you started. After you've done a rough scrub/wipe, you can go back with any interior cleaner of your choice, and wipe again.

The good news is that, if you take your time and do this the right way, then maintain it, you'll only work this hard once.

Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!
Thank you for this write up! There are alot of rock chips at the front of the hood, where can I buy touch up paint locally that matches torch red? Also, which of these steps require a machine? (Is rather do it by hand than use a machine in fear of destroying my paint.)
Old 08-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks alot! That video was very helpful. I wasn't sure as to which steps come when.

Thank you for this write up! There are alot of rock chips at the front of the hood, where can I buy touch up paint locally that matches torch red? Also, which of these steps require a machine? (Is rather do it by hand than use a machine in fear of destroying my paint.
You need to get the factory paint code off the label in the driver's side door-sill. You can either get the paint from a Ford dealership in a little 1/2 ounce bottle, or from your local auto-paint supply. Use NOTHING but the original Motorcraft paints. The auto-paint supply will have specialty brushes for very tiny touch-ups like rock chips. They're worth the money!

As for the waxing/polishing work, all of it can be done by hand, but the Polishing Compound and Swirl Remover MUST be done by hand. Both use super-fine abrasives to fix the clear-coat scratches, so a buffer would be a terrible idea. For your average paste-wax ( I use Mother's Carnuba), a buffer is fine, but can be done by hand.

This is all a labor of love. It's real work, but very satisfying!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
You need to get the factory paint code off the label in the driver's side door-sill. You can either get the paint from a Ford dealership in a little 1/2 ounce bottle, or from your local auto-paint supply. Use NOTHING but the original Motorcraft paints. The auto-paint supply will have specialty brushes for very tiny touch-ups like rock chips. They're worth the money!

As for the waxing/polishing work, all of it can be done by hand, but the Polishing Compound and Swirl Remover MUST be done by hand. Both use super-fine abrasives to fix the clear-coat scratches, so a buffer would be a terrible idea. For your average paste-wax ( I use Mother's Carnuba), a buffer is fine, but can be done by hand.

This is all a labor of love. It's real work, but very satisfying!
Are there any large chains of auto paint suppliers that I'm just not aware of? I've never really had to pay attention to them. There is a auto paint store about 20 minutes away but iim pretty sure its family owned.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Go buy the maguirs new car kit comes with everything that'll make your car shine for $30 but u should also get the clay bar I like the kit cause it comes with a special mit to wash ur car with a microfiber to dry it and a cloth to polish it and applicator pads for a wax and for tire shine
Salc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are there any large chains of auto paint suppliers that I'm just not aware of? I've never really had to pay attention to them. There is a auto paint store about 20 minutes away but iim pretty sure its family owned.
You can always call them with your paint code, and see if they carry it. If they don't carry the Motorcraft bottles, they will surely mix their own. For very small touch-ups, ask them for a sample chip of their formula, and check it against your paint for a color match. If you do that, and their color isn't quite right, you can order the Motorcraft touch up from Ford, or a number of online sources. Just be aware, quality touch-up paint isn't cheap, but if you spend the money, and take your time doing a good job, you'll be much happier with the results.

As for the water spots on your paint, a good wash/wax can remove a lot of that. Some spots may never come out completely, depending on the chemistry of your water and rain, mineral content, etc. But, if you wash, wax, and polish well enough, they won't be nearly as visible.

Believe me, NO car is perfect. There will always be flaws, but you can maintain the appearance such that the flaws are only noticeable to you.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
From personal experience, I recommend zymol wax and detailer
It's extremely safe on your paint, easy to use, and it gives it an awesome glossy look
I used it on my car and my day's Beamer
Try turned out awesome
And my dads car has so many flaws, but it looks great after using these products :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3300101389.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	125471   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-795129232.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	125472  

alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Invest in a porter cable 7424xp. Some lake country pads, and some swirl correction, and polishing products. Head over to autogeek.net and you will learn everything you need to know. Watch "the junkman" videos on YouTube. That's where I learned everything. My black paint is perfect. No swirls and no imperfections. Wash it correctly and do not go to auto car washes. Use a 2 bucket method with grit guards. Please do your research. I've corrected a lot of people's cars this way and made some nice money from it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing