CAR WASH - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
CAR WASH

How and how often do yall car wash your stangs? Ideally or the in the perfect world, hand wash is best to prevent any thin hair scratches on your car. I live in an apartment with no garage so hand washing or using my own equipment is difficult. I have a membership with a decent automatic car wash and probably use it twice a week or at least once a week. I own a black car so the thin hair scratches are more visible, but seriously I think they are inevitable. I still have no regrets buying a black car though.

So..

1. How do you wash your car?
2. How often?
3. Do you see thin hair scratches visible on your car paint?
4. To whoever could answer this - is there a way to get rid of those thin scratches? Wax?
seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I wash (by hand) one to two times a week; the Saturday wash is longer, as it gets the interior treatment as well (leather conditioner, etc).

The "hair scratches" are easily taken care of by using a sealer, then a wax. More work, but it helps to correct that problem. Stay away from car washes that use spinning brushes, and try to find one that does hand washing.

When I was living in a corporate apartment, I would take my vehicle to one of those self car washes that had the pressure washing arrangement. I would wet the vehicle down, and then with my bucket and car wash suds that I brought with me, I'd wash the vehicle, then dump more quarters and rinse it off. I'd then drive into the parking area, and dry it off. See if you have one of those in your area.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have to wash mine about every other time i drive it. The glossy dark color is beautiful but its crazy hard to keep clean
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I try to wash once a week. I go to a coin operated spray wash and spray it down with the the power rinse. The car has a good coat of wax so it cleans off well. I dry it down with clean terry cloths I use purple slice cleaner to clean up the bugs etc that are still there. Every 2nd wash I use Mcguires spray wax to keep the protection and shine.
The interior gets armor all as needed and the leather gets wiped as needed to.
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If I can ask a question on this thread real quick: I have a nice car wash here, real cheap (12 for everything) but I've noticed they use a brush to clean the exterior before the car goes into the automated car wash.

BRUSHES - How bad are they really??

Thanks guys
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb
If I can ask a question on this thread real quick: I have a nice car wash here, real cheap (12 for everything) but I've noticed they use a brush to clean the exterior before the car goes into the automated car wash.

BRUSHES - How bad are they really??

Thanks guys
I'll put it to you this way. Everytime something touches your paint it scratches it. Everytime something with the smallest piece of dirt touches your paint it scratches worse.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

I'll put it to you this way. Everytime something touches your paint it scratches it. Everytime something with the smallest piece of dirt touches your paint it scratches worse.
I get that. But the question is, assuming the brush is clean (new let's say), does it, itself damage the paint?
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Once a week every saturday
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I wash by hand only one sometimes twice a week. I first foam the car using a foam gun and chemical guys honeydew and then rinse and two bucket wash with grit guards using megs gold class. Then rinse and use a leaf blower to dry majority then use a waffle weave towel to dry the rest. I also have a porter cable 7424xp and polish the car with a minor abrassive polish such as m205 only when needed usually once and maybe twice a year. Then seal the car and allow to cure for 24 hours then top with a carnuaba. I learned all this from Junkman2000 on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000 (highly suggest watching his videos and learning how to properly do things)
And also learned a lot from autogeek.net which i suggest checking them out as well to learn more. After my wash she sits in an air conditioned garage
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor
I wash by hand only one sometimes twice a week. I first foam the car using a foam gun and chemical guys honeydew and then rinse and two bucket wash with grit guards using megs gold class. Then rinse and use a leaf blower to dry majority then use a waffle weave towel to dry the rest. I also have a porter cable 7424xp and polish the car with a minor abrassive polish such as m205 only when needed usually once and maybe twice a year. Then seal the car and allow to cure for 24 hours then top with a carnuaba. I learned all this from Junkman2000 on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000 (highly suggest watching his videos and learning how to properly do things)
And also learned a lot from autogeek.net which i suggest checking them out as well to learn more. After my wash she sits in an air conditioned garage
That lead blower idea is ingenious lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Works very well. Only use electric, not gas as gas will blow the exhaust fumes all over your now clean car. I got mine at home depot. 220 mph leaf blower $40. Works great!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

That lead blower idea is ingenious lol
I bought a leaf blower for drying my car. I used it once for the body. My problem was, I have soft water plumbed to my outdoor faucet I use to wash my car to help cut down on water spots. What ended up happening when I used it is that it worked great blowing all the water off, but I was immediately left with white residue. I could actually watch the water blow away and leave the residue behind. I'm thinking it is from the soft water. Now if I use the blower, it is only to blow all the water out of the grill.
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have also noticed a problem similar to that where mine just leaves some water spots behind so i only use it for the grill, my louvers, fog lights, gas cap, tails. Tight spaces where water traps, but if you have good water then do the whole thing.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

I have also noticed a problem similar to that where mine just leaves some water spots behind so i only use it for the grill, my louvers, fog lights, gas cap, tails. Tight spaces where water traps, but if you have good water then do the whole thing.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Do any of y'all sheet rinse before the leaf blower?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I do! Gets a huge majority of the water off
Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Do any of y'all sheet rinse before the leaf blower?
Sounds dumb, but the nozzle has been on the hose for so long I can't get it off without cutting the hose, which I haven't done yet, so I haven't actually tried sheeting the car. I guess I will have to bite the bullet, cut it off and put a new end on and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, did not notice your last question on how to get rid of them. No, wax will not remove them. It will be very difficult to do it by hand. I would recommend to get a pc 7424xp
Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Polisher - dual action orbital car polisher, car care kits, buffer kits, PC 7424,7424XP, 7424 XP, porter cable
These are kits and will help you get started. I promise you it is not as intemidating as it seems. It is virtually impossible to mess your paint up with this machine. The only way you can is if you throw the polisher at it lol. What you are seeing is the begining of swirl marks. It sounds like it is very very light so a lightly agressive polish such as m205 on a white lake country pad would probably take care of it.

This is the system i use on my 2013 black mustang paint. After the correction you can then seal or wax it to protect it. Remember, proper wash techniques are critical to maintaing the car. Do not take it through auto car washes. Thats where a lot of people swirls come from. Think about it. Driving through a car wash that has spinning pieces that hit your car that have been on other cars all day. A really really dirty car going through, dirt gets stuck on them and you guessed it, gets grounded into your clear coat causing the "hairline" scratches you see.

If you have any other questions please ask or PM me if you want. I will be happy to help.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Sounds dumb, but the nozzle has been on the hose for so long I can't get it off without cutting the hose, which I haven't done yet, so I haven't actually tried sheeting the car. I guess I will have to bite the bullet, cut it off and put a new end on and see if it makes a difference.
I bought a quality nozzle and take it off every time I'm done using it. Problem solved.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

I bought a quality nozzle and take it off every time I'm done using it. Problem solved.
That's what I am going to do. I left the nozzle on all Winter with the hose outside. I turn the water off to the outside and take the hose off the house, but never thought about the nozzle on the hose. Gotta love living in the north...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quick question - how often are you supposed to wax your car to fully protect your paint?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Wax you can do every 2 weeks to 1 month. A sealant you can usually do every 6 months
Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Wax you can do every 2 weeks to 1 month. A sealant you can usually do every 6 months
What wax do you recommend? It would be much cheaper if I did it myself than suppose at a shop, right?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

There's no need to take it somewhere just for wax. Be sure to wash the car before waxing. Just get some foam applicator pads and a good cheap wax is mothers Brazilian carnauba paste wax. Apply in thin layers and allow to haze then wipe off. Easy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing