Blacking Out Lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Blacking Out Lights

So I've been thinking about blacking out my taillights and headlights. I've seen some really nice ones and some really bad ones. I want mine to have a real nice shine and don't want covers.

I guess my question is, can you polish taillight and headlight tint? and can you polish the spray on stuff as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Michael.s.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.s.king View Post
So I've been thinking about blacking out my taillights and headlights. I've seen some really nice ones and some really bad ones. I want mine to have a real nice shine and don't want covers.

I guess my question is, can you polish taillight and headlight tint? and can you polish the spray on stuff as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I used spray tint on mine. As long as you go slow with light coats and you wetsand them before you apply clear coat it will be glossy. They are pretty dirty in this pic, but you can still see the shine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3652113066.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	126977  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Yes, definitely. I used VHT Nightshade spray tint and Duplicolor clear coat on my front and rear sidemarkers. Then wetsanded, polished, and waxed them. They're as smooth and shiny as brand new glass, but still have the stealthy blacked out look. Just look for some walkthroughs on YouTube and see if you can find some of the threads on here using the search function. My biggest word of advice would be to take your time. I was impatient my first time doing it and wetsanded before the clear coat was fully dry. Had to redo it almost from the beginning.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellAndBack View Post
I used spray tint on mine. As long as you go slow with light coats and you wetsand them before you apply clear coat it will be glossy. They are pretty dirty in this pic, but you can still see the shine
Yeah looks good! Did you polish and/or wax after the clearcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
Yes, definitely. I used VHT Nightshade spray tint and Duplicolor clear coat on my front and rear sidemarkers. Then wetsanded, polished, and waxed them. They're as smooth and shiny as brand new glass, but still have the stealthy blacked out look. Just look for some walkthroughs on YouTube and see if you can find some of the threads on here using the search function. My biggest word of advice would be to take your time. I was impatient my first time doing it and wetsanded before the clear coat was fully dry. Had to redo it almost from the beginning.

Thanks for the advice, did you wet sand after the tint but before the clear? What did you use for polish and wax?

Anyone with any more pictures would be great!
I was leaning towards actual tint, but that spray tint job doesn't look bad at all!
Michael.s.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I wetsanded between tint and clear coat and then after the clear coat as well. I believe I used 2000 grit both times. I also sanded prior to tinting them and used some adhesion promoter too. Probably overkill haha. Can't remember what I used exactly to polish and wax them but Mothers and Meguiars are what I've been using recently and they both work great.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I got precut strips from ebay and I love the color of them, not real dark just perfect.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing