Labor Day Weekend Wash Session + Dual S197s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Region: North Carolina
Labor Day Weekend Wash Session + Dual S197s

What a better time than Labor Day Weekend to get to spend some quality time with the Mustang.

Since I work 65-70 hours a week usually my time to wash the stang is limited to an hour and a half or so. The rest of my free time is spent catching up on stuff that didn't get done during the week. This was a rare occasion I got to spend over 3 hours cleaning the mustang. By some standards 3 hours ins't a lot, but with my schedule it is.

I am still in the learning phase of finding out what products and techniques work best for me, but here is my process so far (I keep adding to it as I learn and purchase products):

- I have heavy and acidic well water, so washing at the house is a no go. I take a trip out to the local self wash (Wash One) to do the cleaning. The Mustang is a daily driver, so it gets its fair share of grime, bugs, tree sap (no garage), tar (road construction), etc throughout the week. I feel sorry for the car by the time Saturday rolls around. Here is a breakdown of my process this past washing. Feel free to critique, add suggestions etc. I am always open to input.

- I spray down the front bumper, rocker panels, and lower side areas with Bug & Tar remover. Then I spray down the wheels and tires with wheel & tire cleaner.

- While that is setting in and breaking up all the gunk on the car I swipe my card and get the pressure washer going on "soap". I wash down the vehicle, followed by rinsing, then the "spot free rinse".

- I hand dry the rims with small micro fiber towels, then I go for the clay bar and detail spray. While the car is still wet I spray it down with detail spray and clay the entire car. Not a prefect clay job, but for its first clay job it did make a difference.

- Then with a set of 2 microfiber towels I dry off the car (sometimes I may do a quick rinse down with the "spot free rinse" if I see it needs it). After the car is dry I put on coat of wax, then wipe clean with another different microfiber towel.

- By then the tires are dry to the touch so I apply tire shine (I use sprays now, but when they run out I want to switch to gel) so it can have time to dry/cure. I get started on the windows spraying a separate waffle weave microfiber towel (for glass supposedly) and clean the interior glass from the passengers side.

-After the interior glass is clean I spray down the windshield with glass cleaner and use a razor blade to scrape off all the bugs etc (razor blade with the handle). After that is complete I clay'd the windshield, cleaned the wiper blades, and lastly wiped down the windshield.

-Lastly I vacuum the interior and wipe it all down.

I haven't ventured into polish and sealants (I classify sealants separate from wax) but have gathered a lot of knowledge through junkman's videos, ammonyc, chemical guys, etc etc etc. That is the next venture I see, including a full clay baring complete with the plastic bag test (not saying it will happen next washing, but its the next progressive step). Here are some pictures of how the Mustang turned out. As I type this it has started raining, so I am glad I snapped some shots earlier.

There is a Wal-Mart right near the car wash and saw a blue S197 and white SN95 parked near each other, so I stopped and snapped some pictures:

The SN95 wasn't backed in so it seemed kinda out of place, but I snapped a not so great side shot if it:

The solo shot:

Looking at the pictures reminds me I need to get back on the modding wagon, as soon as the $$$ flow allows.
DRaider90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing