MAACO Paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Region: California
MAACO Paint

I just purchased a 1990 Foxbody Mustang GT. The car is in very good condition. The interior is mint and the car was garaged its entire life. I feel I got a steal for this vehicle because most of the cars this year is in poor condition. I mean it only has 49,000 miles. However, it does have some a couple of nicks and scratches in the front bumber from rocks. My question is, do you think I should bring it to MAACO to re-paint it the same color. Mainly I just want to get the front, but I'm thinking I might as well get the entire car since MAACO is cheap. And the most important thing to me clearing it again. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring it to MAACO for a re-spray. It will be the same color, but I think it will look even better after the paint job. Has anyone every tried MAACO before? How did it turn out?
MrGeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Since MAACO is a chain their quality will vary between locations. People have had great experiences with them, and people have had ****ty experiences with them. It's a risk.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Since you don't need body work and are staying with the same color, I say go for it.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have heard macco uses 3 in one paint, basically the primer, base coat (color), and clear coat all In one. I to have thought of having them paint my door but I googled reviews and there consistently bad. For every 20 bad reviews there's one good one. The paint may initially look good but I have heard it chips, cracks, and changes color about a year after spraying. I would just do the bumper if your out if options but I'm spraying my door myself the right way
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My uncle is a body man/ painter he said it is an all in one paint. If you want it to last a couple years and the next person to paint it hate you sure go ahead. I helped in the body shop as a teen and he showed me Two Maaco Paint jobs. One we scraped off a black Chevy shortbox stepside with razor blades. It flaked off worse than your girlfriends nail polish, the other looked like the texture of an orange peel in silver. Ever use rocker guard? Looked Like the whole car was sprayed with it then painted silver. Took forever to sand smooth. I'm still amazed after almost a 40 oz that he could still paint so well. Lol

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I would say search around. Hit up local shops and get an estimate. There are also people who do side work and are very good at it. Few guys around here do it for extra cash. Couple do it as a day job and have no life too. Lol. Need to buy a Mustang
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Please review site rules before posting.

Moved
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGeek1 View Post
I just purchased a 1990 Foxbody Mustang GT. The car is in very good condition. The interior is mint and the car was garaged its entire life. I feel I got a steal for this vehicle because most of the cars this year is in poor condition. I mean it only has 49,000 miles. However, it does have some a couple of nicks and scratches in the front bumber from rocks. My question is, do you think I should bring it to MAACO to re-paint it the same color. Mainly I just want to get the front, but I'm thinking I might as well get the entire car since MAACO is cheap. And the most important thing to me clearing it again. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring it to MAACO for a re-spray. It will be the same color, but I think it will look even better after the paint job. Has anyone every tried MAACO before? How did it turn out?
Lot of people hate on maaco..I did my f100 when I had it. Paid 1200. Little for body work then not the cheapest paint they had. The second tier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	128132
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Before

Name:	09-03-05_2008.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	128133

Name:	04-22-06_1212.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	128134
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had a very bad experience with Maaco, they didn't prep my quarter panel before doing a little touch up and they spray clear coat all over the place with visible runs. You get what you pay for...
01LaserCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

True...its all in their tiers. Don't paint under hood,door jams, I can't remember don't think did inside bed. I used duplicilor rattle cans for interior and bed
Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Macco will at best do a sloppy tape job, remove nothing, and ruin an otherwise good car.. and best of all , you pay them to do it .... Has Maaco ever done a decent paint job? Probably.. there is high turn over and chances are someone somewhere caught a pretty decent painter about to leave for a better shop and they did a decent job. But personally, I would not use them unless I was flipping low end cars.
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'd do all the prep myself... And take it to a REAL body/paint shop. Save a bundle in prep. And that money will go to a Better paint job.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If its not a show car and low on funds run with it. Yes if you can do body work and prep(masking/removing items) beforehand do so. Did you see my pics. I had no complaints. Had almost.2yrs afterwards no fade, chip, runs whatever. Again I got the second tier cost paint job and I went to livonia michigan nearly 10 years ago.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
There is a place near me from Mississippi to florda that does paint cheaper then maaco I mean it could be 697$ for a re paint 5 year warranty were are you at
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My car was originally pacific green but the previous owner took the car to maaco to have it painted after they put the body kit on. The never removed the emblems the fog lights are painted over and my car has tiger stripes in the paint from not enough paint. I would take it to a well known body shop with a good review over maaco
TylerJanocha21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
This place though is killing the competition tho a good job for a cheap price
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Maaco gives its painters a 1/2 sheet of sand paper to do your entire car :/ I've heard that from an employee there. I wouldn't take my ex gfs car to get painted there lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing