Re painting interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re painting interior

Ok. I want to hear the best idea besides a body shop because I can do it myself. My 88 interior is in need of a refreshing I am so sick of the red. To be honest, I hate it. I want to go with black but the last interiors I have seen done flaked badly. What do u guys use to clean the plastic? Do you prime first? What brand/type of paint do you use? My body and paint experience is limited to the outside of the car. Lol. Also I need to dye/paint the dash and door panels and headliner for now until i can get a new one. What should I use?
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would use a simple degreaser like Simple Green, some very fine grit sandpaper to rough up the vinyl. Definitely prime it, and I know they sell specific paint for vinyl, as well as fabric. I resprayed my carpet, sun visors and fabric insert on my vert, looks so much better now.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely will try that. I won't have much problem cleaning I think. I don't use armor all or any greasy cleaners on the interior just cleaner wipes. And even sand the vinyl? Like with 320? Or 400 maybe? And I saw some spray dye at Walmart. Should work I think cassis for vinyl. What about the dash? Paint or dye?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
Definitely will try that. I won't have much problem cleaning I think. I don't use armor all or any greasy cleaners on the interior just cleaner wipes. And even sand the vinyl? Like with 320? Or 400 maybe? And I saw some spray dye at Walmart. Should work I think cassis for vinyl. What about the dash? Paint or dye?
At least 1000. You could get away with out it. The primer will stick better to a roughed up surface. Buy the stuff specifically made for vinyl, fabric, interior, etc. I didn't take before and after pics on my stuff. Just take your time and prep and tape everything off.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterzinyou View Post
At least 1000. You could get away with out it. The primer will stick better to a roughed up surface. Buy the stuff specifically made for vinyl, fabric, interior, etc. I didn't take before and after pics on my stuff. Just take your time and prep and tape everything off.
Oh yes I will take my time. Got lots of it. :/ all black here we go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing