Any Regrets on Rear Black AL window louvers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Any Regrets on Rear Black AL window louvers

Hi folks, the last thing I need for my car for that classic 71-73 mach 1 look is the rear window lovers. Some like them, some don't.

I know the ABS lovers are out for me, they need to be AL.
I looked at the nice ones that have a hinge, and prop rod for easy cleaning, but hear they can start to rattle at highway speed. That would be logical since they have a hinge.

The other AL black lovers attach with 4 blot/nut connectors on each corner. So two people to take off and clean and put on, but I am hoping prevents the rattling.

If you have any direct experience with either of these metal AL black louvers, please let me know good or bad. Thanks !

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Subscribed to this post, as I too am interested in the aluminum ones to buy. The crappy ABS vibrated on my at 55 MPH and above, after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.

I hope the ones with the hinge and prop bar do not vibrate; I'd rather go with those.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vintage Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naples
Region: Florida
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Hi folks, the last thing I need for my car for that classic 71-73 mach 1 look is the rear window lovers. Some like them, some don't.

I know the ABS lovers are out for me, they need to be AL.
I looked at the nice ones that have a hinge, and prop rod for easy cleaning, but hear they can start to rattle at highway speed. That would be logical since they have a hinge.

The other AL black lovers attach with 4 blot/nut connectors on each corner. So two people to take off and clean and put on, but I am hoping prevents the rattling.

If you have any direct experience with either of these metal AL black louvers, please let me know good or bad. Thanks !

Art

American Muscle had the aluminum ones on sale for $350, you can check cause I am not sure they still are or not but thats a good deal...
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Mrt or mpt has one with prop rods and everything so it's a little easier on you. Js. And it's the same price
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Hi folks, the last thing I need for my car for that classic 71-73 mach 1 look is the rear window lovers. Some like them, some don't.

I know the ABS lovers are out for me, they need to be AL.
I looked at the nice ones that have a hinge, and prop rod for easy cleaning, but hear they can start to rattle at highway speed. That would be logical since they have a hinge.

The other AL black lovers attach with 4 blot/nut connectors on each corner. So two people to take off and clean and put on, but I am hoping prevents the rattling.

If you have any direct experience with either of these metal AL black louvers, please let me know good or bad. Thanks !

Art
I used to have some
Not the prop, but the regular aluminum
After a week, only 2 of the 6 brackets were still on
They would rattle a little at 60
80 was really bad
100 was unbearable
I was uncomfortable driving fast because I felt like they were going to fly off
I returned them, they look cool, but IMO it's not worth it
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vintage Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naples
Region: Florida
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Mrt or mpt has one with prop rods and everything so it's a little easier on you. Js. And it's the same price
Yea so was AM's but they have come down alot from what they used to be, every brand I ever saw used to be right at $500
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Seeing as how one post says they vibrate, I'll pass, as it would not be worth the look if they are going to annoy me at highway speeds.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Mine only vibrate when I boom my subs in the trunk haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Mine only vibrate when I boom my subs in the trunk haha
Thanks! Which kind are those that are not Vibrating? How fast at highway speed have you tested?

I know about where to buy them, but I need more feedback from folks who have used them like NicholasP and Alrefire have posted.

Art

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I used to have some
Not the prop, but the regular aluminum
After a week, only 2 of the 6 brackets were still on
They would rattle a little at 60
80 was really bad
100 was unbearable
I was uncomfortable driving fast because I felt like they were going to fly off
I returned them, they look cool, but IMO it's not worth it
Thanks Alrefire!
Did yours have two struts down the left and right sides, or just one one strut down the middle? I take it the 6 points of "gluing" were 3 on each side correct?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Thanks! Which kind are those that are not Vibrating? How fast at highway speed have you tested?

I know about where to buy them, but I need more feedback from folks who have used them like NicholasP and Alrefire have posted.

Art

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------



Thanks Alrefire!
Did yours have two struts down the left and right sides, or just one one strut down the middle? I take it the 6 points of "gluing" were 3 on each side correct?

Art
I don't remember...
I know they were 2 piece and had 6 points of adhesion...
I believe they were 3 on the sides

The reason I'm confused is I had abs ones before the aluminum an it had all 4 corners, and 2 on top.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

Yea so was AM's but they have come down alot from what they used to be, every brand I ever saw used to be right at $500
But do they come with a free prop rod kit so lift it at shows? 350 is a steal for aluminum ones but I want the prop kit lol I've never bought anything from mrt so I'm skeptical as to how their catted h pipe is also
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Machspeed aluminum louver I got it for $100 if you play any music at all you won't hear the minor vibrating trust me it completely changes the appearance of your car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1425628963.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	128616   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-702834436.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	668.1 KB
ID:	128617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2502501942.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	628.3 KB
ID:	128618  
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Machspeed aluminum louver I got it for $100 if you play any music at all you won't hear the minor vibrating trust me it completely changes the appearance of your car
Appearance yes. I really like the late 60's Mach style, but not at a price of vibration. I do alot of highway driving. If they vibrate, the noise would drive me nuts.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Appearance yes. I really like the late 60's Mach style, but not at a price of vibration. I do alot of highway driving. If they vibrate, the noise would drive me nuts.
Yeah but it's really not bad if you listen to music I don't ever really hear it because I have the speakers blaring haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
I've heard of some people attaching thin weather stripping to the underside of the louvers. Think that'd be a viable way to eliminate the rattling?
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Starsky007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Region: Texas
Posts: 108
I had the metal ones on my 03 MACH 1 and loved them. There was slight wind rattle at 70 and above but like someone said, I always listen to the stereo and didn't hear it. And honestly, after having them a little while I don't think the sound registered with me. I just ordered the MRT aluminum ones with the prop kit after reading a bunch of reviews and watching some youtube video's. Pricey but they give me the look I'm going for...
__________________
2014 Grabber Blue V6 Premium Auto
Flat Black Shelby racing stripes
Shelby spoiler
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seabiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 343
Spray the underside of them, or anywhere that you think will make contact with the window, with a sound deadening spray. AM sells it. I had the plastic ones and they rattled horribly and that made them just about silent regardless of speed.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post
I had the metal ones on my 03 MACH 1 and loved them. There was slight wind rattle at 70 and above but like someone said, I always listen to the stereo and didn't hear it. And honestly, after having them a little while I don't think the sound registered with me. I just ordered the MRT aluminum ones with the prop kit after reading a bunch of reviews and watching some youtube video's. Pricey but they give me the look I'm going for...
Update with the install. I'm wanting this one because of the prop rods all together.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Machspeed aluminum louver I got it for $100 if you play any music at all you won't hear the minor vibrating trust me it completely changes the appearance of your car
Thanks Nick, did you get them used? They seem to be about $440 when I search about. I like the idea of weather strip for no vibrating.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:14 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.