MRT Rear window Louver - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
MRT Rear window Louver

Holy crap! For $500 you would think they would include instructions that haven't been xeroxed 2 million times so the pictures are a blur and the instructions make sense! They should also provide enough adhesion promoter to actually apply all the pieces to the glass. Spent 1.5 hrs trying to figure out the instructions and applying 2 hinge pieces. Then had to run to O'Reilly and Autozone looking for more 3M adhesion promoter because the one square inch packet they provide dries out after using it on 2 of the 6 pieces. So I'll be hunting around for 2 packets to hopefully finish today after work. I had to search to find other peoples instructions because they also found the included ones to be amazingly confusing and useless...
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Day 2. After hitting 5 Auto parts store before finding 2 packets of 3M Adhesion Promoter since the kit didn't come with enough I started to continue the install. Was surprised to find the template that comes with the kit that lets you attach the two top plates to the glass is off just enough to make you have to use a dremel to widen the slots. I double checked by putting the template back up and I had it exact. I then discovered in a google search this isnt the first time it's been brought up to MRT. They gladly send out new plates so you can remove one and re-do it.. my question is, why don't they just spend 10 minutes and re-do the template so it's accurate? Hopefully I will complete install today. If you are buying one, don't go by the template, just use it as a general guide to get you close, then do the measuring.
3.31 gears
On order
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-171823686.jpg
Views:	4546
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	130872

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4152036733.jpg
Views:	2167
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	130873
3.31 gears
On order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Region: New Jersey
Question

I have the same car as your grabber blue the tape on the clips that hold the louver on the top not the hinged ones tho won't stay on the tape keeps comming up h

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

How did you get yours to stay on?

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post
Attachment 130872

How did you get your two outer clips on the top to stay attached mine keep comming off

Attachment 130873
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
I have the same car as your grabber blue the tape on the clips that hold the louver on the top not the hinged ones tho won't stay on the tape keeps comming up h

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

How did you get yours to stay on?

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I don't know what I did different. Here's what I did. After being confused by the poor instructions, I found I couldn't use the adhesive promoter fast enough on all clips before it dried out so I did the hinge clips on day 1. On day two I spent 2 hrs going from auto store to auto store until I found 2 more packets of the promoter. I cleaned the glass very well with alcohol (Had to buy more of those too.) put the adhesive promoter on and waited about a minute or two before attaching the clips to the glass. Once it touched the glass it was ON. I've only driven it about 30 miles since install so I can't vouch for how long they will stay but so far no issues. I would say once a clip comes up one time it is no good. It will never hold. I would get new ones from MRT as I know they do send them free of charge just from reading other peoples stories and I would start from scratch on those.
3.31 gears
On order

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing