REMOVING SPOILER - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
REMOVING SPOILER

has any one removed there spoiler, what is involved and how big are the holes left. did you plug them or leave them. if I leave the holes will they rust or will water get in my trunk
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
has any one removed there spoiler, what is involved and how big are the holes left. did you plug them or leave them. if I leave the holes will they rust or will water get in my trunk
For 01-04 there are 4 10mm bolts , and you need a deep 10mm socket

4 holes

And yes & yes

I usually run wingless every other month , and still wash my car, I could really careless if what gets in trunk, mines gutted anyways
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I drive a 2000 but I assume its almost the same... is the water minimal... 10 mm is pretty small... I could just lay a towel in the trunk haha. more worried about rust I guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have mine removed (2000 as well), and its the same process as an 01'-04'. I went to home depot and bought some black plastic inserts and used those to plug up the holes. Been that way for over 5 years and never had an issue of water in the trunk. The holes line up over the drain channel anyways.You could also try the plastic auto trim push pins. They might work as well. If the holes too big, Maybe use a piece of plastic on the underside to hold the pin on.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Road Trip!

so your saying even if I didn't plug the holes the water will drain out anyways and not make it to the trunk... also what size plugs did you buy
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so your saying even if I didn't plug the holes the water will drain out anyways and not make it to the trunk... also what size plugs did you buy
Yeah. If you open your trunk, look and the bolts on the inside of the trunk lid. They should be lined up outside the rubber weather strip on the trunk. And I wish I could remember which size I used (a looooong time ago, and i cant even remember what i had for lunch today......) , but as long as the top is bigger than the holes your covering it will be fine. You can try doing that plastic trick I stated if it won't stay on by its own. I'd take some pictures for you, but I'm out of town this weekend.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Road Trip!

thanks for the reply man, I went and took a look and yah I see that its not even over the trunk where the holes are. so I removed the spoiler... wish I would have removed it a long time ago, cars lines look so much cleaner that spoiler was making the car look I don't know long and pointy... I have 3 holes on each side of mine... 2 for the bolts and I assume the other is a drain.. doesn't look tobad with the holes. eventually ill get them taken care of but for now I may just leave it as is
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the reply man, I went and took a look and yah I see that its not even over the trunk where the holes are. so I removed the spoiler... wish I would have removed it a long time ago, cars lines look so much cleaner that spoiler was making the car look I don't know long and pointy... I have 3 holes on each side of mine... 2 for the bolts and I assume the other is a drain.. doesn't look tobad with the holes. eventually ill get them taken care of but for now I may just leave it as is
No problem! IIRC two of the holes are relatively close together and if you use a big enough plug you can cover both with one. Cause I only have two on either side (4 total). But definitely cleaner without!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Road Trip!

for anyone who is reading this thread and thinking of removing your spoiler I will post a couple pics, a before an after and a pic of the holes left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	okd.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	130728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130928-00972.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	130729  

Name:	IMG-20130928-00974.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	130730  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lowes, Home Depot , etc. sell plastic plugs for them holes , the sizes are 5/16 and 3/8 , get those plugs and some touch up paint to paint them and you won't have to worry about water or looks
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Can I add a question to this and ask IF its the same for the 5th generation? (05-09?)
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmmm, I've yet to take one off of an S197, but I would assume its pretty close. Holes are probably in different locations, but you could still use the plastic plugs to cover the holes. Only one way to find out!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Lowes, Home Depot , etc. sell plastic plugs for them holes , the sizes are 5/16 and 3/8 , get those plugs and some touch up paint to paint them and you won't have to worry about water or looks
Rm360 is correct. 5/16 for the back 2 holes and 3/8 for the front 2. I went to Lowes and they had some black ones to match my car so I got those, only cost $2
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post

Name:	ForumRunner_20131005_111048.png
Views:	123
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	131501

Mine were just temporary while I repainted the spoiler, but put a dab of silicone on em, and you can even sand them down so they are flatter and then paint them.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I would plug the holes no matter how much water "didn't" get in there. Do you dry your jambs after every wash?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: California
I wanted to do that too mustangman, but my pajnt is fading a little on my trunk and I think if I took the wing off it would look horrible and very noticeable.

Would this wingless look look cheesy/ricer on my color car?

Name:	image-1374460563.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	671.9 KB
ID:	131502
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
I wanted to do that too mustangman, but my pajnt is fading a little on my trunk and I think if I took the wing off it would look horrible and very noticeable.

Would this wingless look look cheesy/ricer on my color car?

Attachment 131502
If your car is DSG or mineral gray like your avatar then that C.F. trunk would look good,IMO.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Road Trip!

no I think that looks good.... and as for the faded opaint... is till would take the spoiler off.. mine didn't come off and leave perfect paint ... as you can see in
Peterzinyou 's picture of the red trunk it will leave an outline and maybe some chips where the bolts go but it makes your car look completely different and nicer... esp if you don't have your car lowered will take away from that pointy look
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no I think that looks good.... and as for the faded opaint... is till would take the spoiler off.. mine didn't come off and leave perfect paint ... as you can see in
Peterzinyou 's picture of the red trunk it will leave an outline and maybe some chips where the bolts go but it makes your car look completely different and nicer... esp if you don't have your car lowered will take away from that pointy look
Took alot of rubbing compound, elbow grease and a clay bar, got 99% of it out. I put the wing back on however. I do like the look of the Mustang wingless and lowered a bit.
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Yeah I'm afraid that's what is going to happen if I remove the wing.

Ill take a pic today n u guys should give ur opinion if I go wingless

My car is the one in my avatar, dark shadow grey, so I thought It might look good in carbon fiber
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing