Polishing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Polishing

I put up a thread 3-4 weeks ago and never got a response - Now trying again.

I don't think this is a stupid idea but would appreciate comments, especially if someone has tried it.

I am about to polish the car with a high speed rotary, but on a relatively low speed with mild cutting then pure polish using 3M foam pads (black then Blue). I am thinking of then using a small orbital sander with smaller polishing pads (black/blue) for difficult areas especially on the plastic bumpers.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else ever tried it?

Thanks for your responses - if any.
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Road Trip!

just go to a car wash haha unless your going to a car show
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
I put up a thread 3-4 weeks ago and never got a response - Now trying again.

I don't think this is a stupid idea but would appreciate comments, especially if someone has tried it.

I am about to polish the car with a high speed rotary, but on a relatively low speed with mild cutting then pure polish using 3M foam pads (black then Blue). I am thinking of then using a small orbital sander with smaller polishing pads (black/blue) for difficult areas especially on the plastic bumpers.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else ever tried it?

Thanks for your responses - if any.
Do you have experience with a high speed rotary? If not i would stay away from it.
If you are trying to remove swirls get a Dual action polisher with some microfiber cutting and polishing pads, those are relatively new technology that bridge the gap between what a rotary and DA can do, afterwards use a foam pad to do the more fine polishing. You should be able to get most places with a 6" pad though, so you shouldn't have to worry about going to smaller pads.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
just go to a car wash haha unless your going to a car show
If you aren't going to be helpful, you don't have to waste everyone's time with a comment like that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have used a rotary polisher before on a black Mitbuishi. It turned out very good. Mainly because I used very non-aggressive polish and pad. But, had scuffed some plastic that is why I was thinking of the orbital sander with pads as it would be less aggressive and I think easier to control. The sander would only be used on the bumpers and rear deck below the spoiler.

BTW thanks for the comment re the previous post. I did want comments not sarcasism.
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you know what you are. Doing go for it just watch out, u dont want to burn the paint
86foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
Yes I have used a rotary polisher before on a black Mitbuishi. It turned out very good. Mainly because I used very non-aggressive polish and pad. But, had scuffed some plastic that is why I was thinking of the orbital sander with pads as it would be less aggressive and I think easier to control. The sander would only be used on the bumpers and rear deck below the spoiler. BTW thanks for the comment re the previous post. I did want comments not sarcasism.
If you have experience go for it. You will get done a lot quicker with a rotary than a DA.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful with plastic bumpers. They heat u a lot faster, my advice is to do a bigger section and move faster on it checking the temp as you go. 6 inch sounds like a good recommendation to me... I find the 7 inch stuff too big honestly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing