Rust on 2011 Mustang Hood. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Like I said before, small claims court if you have to.
You can research any applicable laws yourself.
Try to work it out with them first though.
If you have to pay a lawyer, you WILL have to sell your car!
I'm not sure about that. If he wins, Ford will have to fix it under the warranty. Ford gets away with this behavior unfortunately because people don't take legal action and file suit. You can have all the laws you want. If no one enforces them, then what good are the laws.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm not sure about that. If he wins, Ford will have to fix it under the warranty. Ford gets away with this behavior unfortunately because people don't take legal action and file suit. You can have all the laws you want. If no one enforces them, then what good are the laws.
Absolutely correct.
That's what small claims court is for, so that people who cannot afford a lawyer can still have access to the legal system.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Absolutely correct.
That's what small claims court is for, so that people who cannot afford a lawyer can still have access to the legal system.
I agree with you.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #39

Region: Europe
I have :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGTR169 View Post
Hey everyone. Has anybody experienced rust on their hood? ...
Hi BrianGTR169,

I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 GT. I know the thread is now almost a year old, but I wonder if you fixed the rusty spots and how?

Did the rust re-appear after later?

Cheers
AlpineStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It hasn't been fixed until the moment. But I took it last Friday for the second time. It looks like this time ford will cover it under warranty because it's a lot worse.
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #41

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGTR169 View Post
It hasn't been fixed until the moment. But I took it last Friday for the second time. It looks like this time ford will cover it under warranty because it's a lot worse.
Thanks for the fast reply.

I am out of warranty for sure, I am just looking for a good body shop to fix it.

Will update you once it's fixed.
AlpineStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #42

Region: New York
Rusty Hood on 2011 GT

I discovered the well known issue of rust on the lip of my hood a couple of weeks ago. My car is (JUST) out of warranty and only has 18,000 miles on the odo and is otherwise perfect. My local dealer just told me "tough luck, it's not covered under warranty" and I asked about the rust warranty and was told that this covers perforation only. The local Ford service manager backed the dealer (no surprises there) and told me that I'm SOL.

1. I don't see how the dealer can determine whether the metal has been perforated or not without removing the paint. And I think this is BS, rust is rust and a manufacturer's defect should be fixed irrespective of "Fine Print" unless Ford want their reputation to fail as fast as their finishes.

2. This is a known defect, there are hundreds of recorded instances of this problem occurring and Ford issued a TSB. There is even a class action lawsuit in place for earlier models

3. The dealer voluntarily (I didn't know that the battery was weak, they told me) replaced my battery 3 months ago when my car was in the shop for a full service but this did not notify me of the rust when my vehicle was still in warranty.

I'm out the cost of a new hood or for a repair that will fail again in a couple of years and, I believe that this issue will devalue the price of my vehicle going forward.

Anyone else had any luck with getting this issue resolved by Ford?
britmustangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #43

Region: Michigan
I have the exact same issue. My rust issue began just after my factory bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. I noticed it around 42,000 miles into ownership. Shame on me for not looking at my hood under a magnifying glass prior to hitting 36,000 miles. I now have approximately 45,000 on my 2012. The rust is on the lip of my hood. I went back and forth with the dealer and Ford Motor for about 2 or 3 weeks. They never budged. They said that perforation is a requirement for the repair to be covered by the extended rust warranty. I ran my complaint up the chain as high as I could. Never once did Ford reconsider. This is the second Mustang I've owned, and the fourth Ford. I'll never buy another Ford again. It is absolutely ludicrous that something such as this isn't covered as a manufacturing defect. The dealer even told me that he could fix it relatively cheaply, for about $500, but that the issue would just re-appear. That, to me, sounds like a blatant admission of a manufacturing defect. He also confessed to seeing this on numerous other Mustangs, which again leads to this being a manufacturing problem, and not a sign of abuse or lack of care by the owner. It is hard to describe the level of frustration I have in owning a nearly $40,000 car that has rusted in about 2.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britmustangfan View Post
I discovered the well known issue of rust on the lip of my hood a couple of weeks ago. My car is (JUST) out of warranty and only has 18,000 miles on the odo and is otherwise perfect. My local dealer just told me "tough luck, it's not covered under warranty" and I asked about the rust warranty and was told that this covers perforation only. The local Ford service manager backed the dealer (no surprises there) and told me that I'm SOL.

1. I don't see how the dealer can determine whether the metal has been perforated or not without removing the paint. And I think this is BS, rust is rust and a manufacturer's defect should be fixed irrespective of "Fine Print" unless Ford want their reputation to fail as fast as their finishes.

2. This is a known defect, there are hundreds of recorded instances of this problem occurring and Ford issued a TSB. There is even a class action lawsuit in place for earlier models

3. The dealer voluntarily (I didn't know that the battery was weak, they told me) replaced my battery 3 months ago when my car was in the shop for a full service but this did not notify me of the rust when my vehicle was still in warranty.

I'm out the cost of a new hood or for a repair that will fail again in a couple of years and, I believe that this issue will devalue the price of my vehicle going forward.

Anyone else had any luck with getting this issue resolved by Ford?
lefty1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bryan you might want to take a look on the underside of the hood cause mine has the corrosion underneath as well. Make sure they fix it all in 1 shot. A lot of the newer mustangs with the aluminum hoods have that corrosion issue

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DanGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
My 2011 GT is doing the same thing

Just purchased a 2011 GT and the hood is doing the same thing right above the headlight. Started on the underside of the hood and worked its way around the front lip. Date of service was 4/2011 so it's unfortunately out of the 3 year 36K warranty as of April of this year despite only having 25K miles on it. Called Ford and they told me that I'm out of luck since the 3yr bumper to bumper is expired and because there isn't perforation, etc. Again, they know it's an issue, but they aren't going to stand by their product.

I've been told by three different body shops that this is a problem the the aluminum hoods and tailgates on the F150 and explorers as well. To repeat what others have said, no body shop will even guarantee the fix because they say it will definitely pop up again over time. When I talked to Ford, I told them I just purchased a Taurus three months ago, have a Mountaineer and just sold an Expedition. I've been been loyal to the blue oval and now I have a 3 year old vehicle with under 30K miles and they won't take care of something they are well aware is an issue. I may rethink ever buying another ford.

I wonder how the all aluminum 2015 F150 is going to fare. I hope they do a better job of dipping it before they paint them.
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #46

Region: Minnesota
I noticed peeling paint at the leading edge of the hood on my 2012 and brought it to the dealer. 38,000 miles and over the warranty period. No help there. I took it to a body shop and was told the hood would need to be replaced. If sanded and primed, etc. the corrosion would come back in 6 months. Part cost for the aluminum hood $1502, labor etc brought the bill to $2857, although this includes replacing plastic driver's seat frame which cracked for no reason at all. No one in their right mind would pay this so I intend to have the hood repaired not replaced. Still, this should not be happening.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #47

Region: Rhode Island
Got the same thing on my 2011 GT. Haven't taken it to Ford Yet. Did you have any luck?
hellagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, does won't do a thing about it. I found a used 2012 hood and had it shipped and repainted. It's important to note that if you are having that problem already, every body shop told me that even if they repaired and repainted it would probably come back. It's an issue with the aluminum hood with certain cars. Find one that's not showing any signs of corrosion if you are going to repaint and replace and your should be fine.

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #49

Region: New Jersey
Hi All - Was cleaning my 2014 GT that I just bought as a CPO from a local dealership and noticed the same problem happening over the left head light. I see some folks have been calling Ford is there a specific phone number for this issue? My 2002 GT convertible never had this issue when I sold it in 2012...
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mine is doing it too. You have to catch the spot early when its a small bubble on the underside of the front lip of the hood. You have to pop the paint off where it bubbles up and clean it out with some alcohol and that will stop it from growing... at least mine hasn't corroded any more in the last couple months or so after. Then you can touch it back up. The corrosion spreads very quick though so you have to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

ford put out a tsb on the issue some where around 2005 when they started using the alloy hoods. some kind of factory contamination of iron mixing with the alum.
both of mine were fixed as per the tsb a year later it was back, on the now gone 2012 I was able to slow it down by adding a ground wire from the hood to the battery as per another forum yet once it starts it keeps on growing, on my 07 since it is a full out race only it got a glass hood.
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Im just going to try to keep mine from getting worse and eventually go with an aftermarket hood if it gets ugly. Im not even going to bother with painting or trying to get another stock hood. And don't care to haggle with the dealer plus im not leaving my car with the dealer anyway. Not worth the risk of it happening again and having to worry with it a second time.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
That's terrible. I would have their asses. Especially since mine literally never sees rain or snow. Just sits most of the year.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, it's frustrating. Look at the tailgates and hoods of many of the expeditions and explorers. You will notice the same issue. I see it all the time when I'm sitting at stop lights and see one of those models from the past 9 years.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah something i have noticed about Ford this being my first Ford is they dont care too much about paint. Lots of little flaws like dirt debris in the paint and thin paint in door jams. And bubbling hoods everywhere. I feel sorry for the folks with these new aluminum f150s. Too bad its all aluminum. I like the truck but wouldnt risk buying one because they are likely to have trouble. I hope other makes dont follow through.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I was detailing my car today and found the bubbling on the lip of my hood. My 3 year warranty expires on 3/5/16! I'm heading the dealership first thing tomorrow morning. I'll keep you all posted on what they tell me.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
Yeah something i have noticed about Ford this being my first Ford is they dont care too much about paint. Lots of little flaws like dirt debris in the paint and thin paint in door jams. And bubbling hoods everywhere. I feel sorry for the folks with these new aluminum f150s. Too bad its all aluminum. I like the truck but wouldnt risk buying one because they are likely to have trouble. I hope other makes dont follow through.

my body shop guy has many issues with the fords already. not rot yet but doing body work and paint the issues till every shop gets used to fixing them so that is why when I wanted a new truck I got a chevy 1500 with the 6.2 v8 tows all my toys with no issues rides like a caddy, gets 18 mpg as a average .
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I got the same problem with my 2012. Ford told me they would repair my hood for $300. I'm just going to use the $300 and add it to getting. Fiber glass hood. That way o can have a better looking good for around $700 and not have to worry about the corrosion coming back again.

Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Rust on 2011 Mustang Hood.

Found the bubbles on my 2014 GT this weekend. Taking to the dealer this week but expect the same run around. Has three months left on warranty and only 27k for mileage. If Ford won't replace the hood, l'll play the game and call the hotline and see what happen's. But in Chicago, NBC 5 television has setup a consumer investigation team that is fully staffed and responds to every call and complaint. They are really good. I'll try to get them involved and I'm sure Ford doesn't want this issue on a large tv market as Chicago especially with the new F-150 on the market now. I would love to walk into the dealership with a news crew behind me. We'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolutio
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

My dealer replaced the hood on my '13 no questions asked. Granted it had been repaired once under warranty already and obviously came back. The only issue I had was the hoods were on National back order and it took 8 months for them to get a replacement.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Rust on 2011 Mustang Hood.

Ford refused to replace my hood. Repair or nothing. I contacted NBC 5 out of Chicago and asked their consumer hotline to assist. We'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolutio
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Let me know what happens, none of us have gotten anywhere with ford on this. At least not that I've heard

tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #63

Region: New Jersey
I got mine fix from dealership, got lucky GM was walking the lot while I was talking with body shop manager. He was not happy car left his lot looking like that and told him to just fix it. Paint look great but double sided tape not holding on the hood scoop . I think I will order the tape and fix it myself. Any thoughts on how to get it off?
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #64

Just noticed the bubbling on the front right edge of my hood on my '12 GT. I'm 75000 miles in so I know warranty is out of the question. What are the odds Ford will own up to this issue and make it right? Or should I start shopping for an aftermarket hood?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

It'll never happen. Ford isn't going to fix the hood. I have the same issue with the same miles. And I'm not interested in fiberglass, those hoods need a lot of work to make them fit correctly. I'm going to have my hood sand blasted by a local body shop and re-seam sealed. Hopefully it won't happen again

Old 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

It'll never happen. Ford isn't going to fix the hood. I have the same issue with the same miles. And I'm not interested in fiberglass, those hoods need a lot of work to make them fit correctly. I'm going to have my hood sand blasted by a local body shop and re-seam sealed. Hopefully it won't happen again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing