Rust on 2011 Mustang Hood. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Rust on 2011 Mustang Hood.

Hey everyone. Has anybody experienced rust on their hood? I called FoMoCo. And they forwarded me to my local dealer. Not much of a help. I already had them take a look at it and they were really rude and declined to fix it under warranty. This is now the second time that I will be taking my car, it is going to a different dealer from the first to have it looked at. It is already known that the rust comes from a manufacture defect. Please help if any of you had experience with this and what was your outcome? Thank you in advance. The hood looks horrible and I will be posting pictures of it later today for you to take a look at.
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If its rusting then its not your fault and they should fix it under warranty. Take it back and demand they fix it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Pics?
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

F'n Ford... Thats BS.
The only brand new Ford that I've ever owned did the same damn thing. Started rusting almost from day one. I still have it and it's still rusty. And I live in California...
Look into the "rust protection" part of your warranty and see what it says.
If the dealers won't help you out, and you believe that it should be covered under the warranty, file a small claims lawsuit against Ford Motor co.
That will get there attention...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm at work but once I take my lunch I will take some pics.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try Honey instead of Demanding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGTR169 View Post
Hey everyone. Has anybody experienced rust on their hood? I called FoMoCo. And they forwarded me to my local dealer. Not much of a help. I already had them take a look at it and they were really rude and declined to fix it under warranty. This is now the second time that I will be taking my car, it is going to a different dealer from the first to have it looked at. It is already known that the rust comes from a manufacture defect. Please help if any of you had experience with this and what was your outcome? Thank you in advance. The hood looks horrible and I will be posting pictures of it later today for you to take a look at.
Instead of taking it back and DEMMANDING they fix it, try this approach. Go ask to have a meeting with the Area Ford Representative. Sit down with him and see what you can do. He is the one that can authorize the repairs.

Did you buy it from a Ford Dealership or was it used and purchased from car lot or private person?

Take it to the dealership that is closest to where you live, that is where you have it serviced?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys here are the pictures. Let me know what you think. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. Second try at getting it repaired under warranty. You can see under the hood where other areas are showing rust under the paint. It's spreading fast. This is really unacceptable for a 2011. We all already know that the rust begins from the manufacture defect and rust begins to form before the hood is painted. Thus it should be covered by ford.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-659871686.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	132435   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2016198193.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	132436  

Name:	image-835214089.jpg
Views:	3169
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	132437   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2041353538.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	132438  

Name:	image-402410838.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	132439   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3807599567.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	132440  

Name:	image-1024175541.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	132441  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That's messed up I would defiantly be super pissed !!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You already took that in to service and they refused to cover it under warranty? What reason did they give you?
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
You already took that in to service and they refused to cover it under warranty? What reason did they give you?
Yeah. I took it to the ford where I work. I work at Nissan but it's a superstore with five dealerships and it has the same owner. When I went I went with my Nissan shirt on and I told them that the Nissan service manager used to be a service advisor at that ford and that he had told me that ford offered a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on rust bumper to bumper. The advisor at ford was really rude when I told him that and he said of the Nissan service manager had told me that then that I should take it to Nissan and have them repair it. Apparently Ford and Nissan have some differences and they don't talk to each other so I guess that's why they were rude to me. Regardless of the issues they have that still shouldn't be the way I was talked to. So they took pictures of my car and they had it for the whole day and called me 10 minutes before they closed to pick it up. When I went back for it the advisor who was really rude to me the whole time I was there said that it was declined because the rust had to be so bad that it chewed through the metal. I thought that was such bs. I took it there because since it was the same company superstore that I worked for so I thought that they would be more interested in helping me out. Turns out it was worse. So I left it as is. A month later the paint started falling off and that's when I couldn't take it anymore and called ford corporate. They told me to give Future Ford (a different local ford dealer) a shot and left it at that. They didn't seem like much help. So I'll see what they tell me tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks. I bought a 2010 GT brand new with a bent rear axle. 3 local dealerships in my area refused to service the car under warranty, saying I must've done it myself. Accused me of essentially driving the car off a ramp. I called Ford customer service and they actually called somebody because I got a call the next day to bring it in from one of the dealerships that had refused me. Point is, stick with it sir. They will do right by you once you get ahold of the right person
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have a 2010 Mustang GT. I noticed rust on the hood, coming from underneath I took it to a Ford dealer, they took some pictures, submitted them to Ford. Next day they said its covered under warranty. So if they fixed mine, they better fix yours. Keep going after them, until you get what you deserve
Martysmustang62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sucks. I bought a 2010 GT brand new with a bent rear axle. 3 local dealerships in my area refused to service the car under warranty, saying I must've done it myself. Accused me of essentially driving the car off a ramp. I called Ford customer service and they actually called somebody because I got a call the next day to bring it in from one of the dealerships that had refused me. Point is, stick with it sir. They will do right by you once you get ahold of the right person
Thank you. You're right. I'll just keep on calling until they approve it. I took it today and they took pictures. Hopefully they approve it. As I stated above the dealership where I worked at denied it. So we'll see how it goes with these guys. Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martysmustang62 View Post
I have a 2010 Mustang GT. I noticed rust on the hood, coming from underneath I took it to a Ford dealer, they took some pictures, submitted them to Ford. Next day they said its covered under warranty. So if they fixed mine, they better fix yours. Keep going after them, until you get what you deserve
Thank you for your response. Gives me a little bit of hope. Was your rust bad enough that it chewed a hole through the hood? The previous dealer had told me that in order to be covered there had to be holes cause by the rust. Isn't that nonsense?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So sorry....that is horrible. I know on my 2005 I had a similar issue and was told that the seam under the hood caused potential issues where the metals are folded and moisture is trapped. On my 05 I never had more than minor bubbling under the hood and monitored always...your pictures are by far the worst case of this I have ever seen. IMO this is a major defect and you should not stop until FORD fixes this.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you. You're right. I'll just keep on calling until they approve it. I took it today and they took pictures. Hopefully they approve it. As I stated above the dealership where I worked at denied it. So we'll see how it goes with these guys. Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Thank you for your response. Gives me a little bit of hope. Was your rust bad enough that it chewed a hole through the hood? The previous dealer had told me that in order to be covered there had to be holes cause by the rust. Isn't that nonsense?
That's crazy to me that you work in a dealership and they won't take care if you. My car was keyed last week, bumper to bumper down the drivers side. I run a restaurant that the body shop manager likes to eat at. He repaired the car for free. They can do whatever they want. I would start talking to your boss. That's crazy
Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's crazy to me that you work in a dealership and they won't take care if you. My car was keyed last week, bumper to bumper down the drivers side. I run a restaurant that the body shop manager likes to eat at. He repaired the car for free. They can do whatever they want. I would start talking to your boss. That's crazy
I know right? Like I've said in the past, I believe that the fact I was denied is because the Nissan dealership and ford dealership have some problems with each other. So I believe that that influenced their decision. Thank you for your advice. I actually just told my boss about it and explained to him that other people had the same issue and had it repaired under warranty. He said to wait it out and see what this alternate dealership tells me. If they also decline it he said he will talk to the ford manager and help me out. Things are looking better.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so I called ford because they haven't called me back yet about my hood. The advisor said that he believes that it's a paint defect and not rust. He said that's only covered under at 3 year 36,000 mileage. What do you guys think about that? He said he's not sure what it really is and is still waiting for a response from ford.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's what they refer to as "Hood Corrosion"...it's not rust. A containment was present on the aluminum when the paint was sprayed. It eventually bubbles up and breaks through the paint. I have this problem as well. My hood was painted 3 times already to correct it.

The body guys said they are constantly repainting the mustang hoods. There is a TSB out on this but last I saw it only covered up to 2007 MY for some reason. They should repair it under warranty. Do a search for "hood corrosion mustang" and you will find tons of threads on different sites about it.

If no one wants to help you...I would contact Deysha on AFM: Ford Mustang Forums - View Profile: FordService
She is great at getting things rolling if the dealership is reluctant to help.

Good luck.
BlueApollo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo4 View Post
That's what they refer to as "Hood Corrosion"...it's not rust. A containment was present on the aluminum when the paint was sprayed. It eventually bubbles up and breaks through the paint. I have this problem as well. My hood was painted 3 times already to correct it. The body guys said they are constantly repainting the mustang hoods. There is a TSB out on this but last I saw it only covered up to 2007 MY for some reason. They should repair it under warranty. Do a search for "hood corrosion mustang" and you will find tons of threads on different sites about it. If no one wants to help you...I would contact Deysha on AFM: Ford Mustang Forums - View Profile: FordService She is great at getting things rolling if the dealership is reluctant to help. Good luck.
Thanks BlueApollo4. Much appreciated. It's been day three and still no response from ford. Just patiently waiting.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks BlueApollo4. Much appreciated. It's been day three and still no response from ford. Just patiently waiting.
Three days? I would definitely get Deysha involved. She is tremendous. Ford for sure knows about this...so there is no reason for them to drag their feet.

I'm out of warranty now...and I don't know whether I might get a super snake hood or have someone else repaint this dang this again...it makes it worse for me in that I have stripes - so they have to be replaced (expensive) every time...ugh. I personally just want to keep the stock hood...but dishing out money every couple years to have the hood repainted is not something that I want to or can afford to do.

It's very frustrating that it's been going on so long and Ford hasn't done anything to correct it.
BlueApollo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #21

I'm sorry to see that happen to such a new car, that is completely unacceptable to see in a car that is at most 3 years old. I had a similar issue with my 2004 F-150 several years ago. There was a leak in the rear window which allowed water to collect in the rockers and rot them from the inside out. They repaired the window and the rockers for me after a bit of a fight but it happened again about a year later and they again fought me but fixed it again. At this point I just traded the truck in because I couldn't take it happening again. I bought the truck when it was a year old with about 15K on it so I didn't have a lemon law option.

Continue to make contact until they fix it, it isn't right that you should have to fight like this but they will take care of it at some point.
morepowerplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerplease View Post
I'm sorry to see that happen to such a new car, that is completely unacceptable to see in a car that is at most 3 years old. I had a similar issue with my 2004 F-150 several years ago. There was a leak in the rear window which allowed water to collect in the rockers and rot them from the inside out. They repaired the window and the rockers for me after a bit of a fight but it happened again about a year later and they again fought me but fixed it again. At this point I just traded the truck in because I couldn't take it happening again. I bought the truck when it was a year old with about 15K on it so I didn't have a lemon law option. Continue to make contact until they fix it, it isn't right that you should have to fight like this but they will take care of it at some point.
There's no point now. I just discovered today that I need a new tranny. My car just started to make an awful whining noise. I had my techs check it out and they said it was the tranny. Unfortunately it's not covered by warranty. I guess I need to sell her. I'm so upset. I just got a complainant no longer than 10 minutes ago on how nice my car looked. After all the money I've put into it. I'm a full time student. I have tons of bills to pay. I just don't have money to pay for a new tranny and the labor. I give up. I hate to let her go. One day I'll come back and buy a 5.0.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
There's no point now. I just discovered today that I need a new tranny. My car just started to make an awful whining noise. I had my techs check it out and they said it was the tranny. Unfortunately it's not covered by warranty. I guess I need to sell her. I'm so upset. I just got a complainant no longer than 10 minutes ago on how nice my car looked. After all the money I've put into it. I'm a full time student. I have tons of bills to pay. I just don't have money to pay for a new tranny and the labor. I give up. I hate to let her go. One day I'll come back and buy a 5.0.
*Compliment. Sorry for my bad spelling. It's the autocorrect on my phone plus this slight depression of letting my pony go.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

*Compliment. Sorry for my bad spelling. It's the autocorrect on my phone plus this slight depression of letting my pony go.
What year is your pony? What is the mileage on it roughly? What model ?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
What year is your pony? What is the mileage on it roughly? What model ?
2011 59,450. Problem is I tuned it with Bama so it voids the warranty. in so upset dude. Man. This sucks.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2011 59,450. Problem is I tuned it with Bama so it voids the warranty. in so upset dude. Man. This sucks.
Wait, huh. The bama thing was a joke right. Your kidding right?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No joke my friend. I wish it were. But I was told since I tuned it the think the tune was the cause of the transmission failure since it shifted the shifting points. Car still drives but rpms go crazy and the car jolts and makes a whining noise. I'm returned it to stock tomorrow taking of my CAI and everything.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Clearly he wasn't kidding. Why don't you offer him some insight...never mind. I thought we were still talking about the hood
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I just have bad luck with ford. They won't cover me for anything. It just isn't right. Smh. So upset and disappointed.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No joke my friend. I wish it were. But I was told since I tuned it the think the tune was the cause of the transmission failure since it shifted the shifting points. Car still drives but rpms go crazy and the car jolts and makes a whining noise. I'm returned it to stock tomorrow taking of my CAI and everything.
Who is your tune with?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Please excuse the my bad spelling. My darn autocorrect and I'm not all there right now. Jut a bit heartbroken to be honest. There goes my amazing ride.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Who is your tune with?
BAMA Performance from American Muscle.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Please excuse the my bad spelling. My darn autocorrect and I'm not all there right now. Jut a bit heartbroken to be honest. There goes my amazing ride.
Who is your tune with? Okay Bama. I would call Bama first thing tomorrow and let them know what's going on. The fact that the dealership thinks its the tune shouldn't hold up. I would get Bama looking into this shifting points issue. This is the first report I have heard of any transmission blowing up from a tune especially a bama tune. Before throwing in the towel on your ride bro, I would seek legal council on this. The dealership has to prove the tune caused the damage. The burden of proof is on the dealership should you file civil suit. There is no way they can prove that.

The dealership is banking on the fact you won't get a lawyer and file suit which is why they get away so many times. I wouldn't go without a fight on this one bro. Make them prove the tune caused the damage. Talk to a lawyer about this. There is a law about this very thing. They may be allowed to deny the warranty but when suit is filed, they have to prove the tune caused the damage.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who is your tune with?
Bama
Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #33
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

Who is your tune with? Okay Bama. I would call Bama first thing tomorrow and let them know what's going on. The fact that the dealership thinks its the tune shouldn't hold up. I would get Bama looking into this shifting points issue. This is the first report I have heard of any transmission blowing up from a tune especially a bama tune. Before throwing in the towel on your ride bro, I would seek legal council on this. The dealership has to prove the tune caused the damage. The burden of proof is on the dealership should you file civil suit. There is no way they can prove that.

The dealership is banking on the fact you won't get a lawyer and file suit which is why they get away so many times. I wouldn't go without a fight on this one bro. Make them prove the tune caused the damage. Talk to a lawyer about this. There is a law about this very thing. They may be allowed to deny the warranty but when suit is filed, they have to prove the tune caused the damage.
Very true, I've never heard of Bama messing up
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who is your tune with? Okay Bama. I would call Bama first thing tomorrow and let them know what's going on. The fact that the dealership thinks its the tune shouldn't hold up. I would get Bama looking into this shifting points issue. This is the first report I have heard of any transmission blowing up from a tune especially a bama tune. Before throwing in the towel on your ride bro, I would seek legal council on this. The dealership has to prove the tune caused the damage. The burden of proof is on the dealership should you file civil suit. There is no way they can prove that. The dealership is banking on the fact you won't get a lawyer and file suit which is why they get away so many times. I wouldn't go without a fight on this one bro. Make them prove the tune caused the damage. Talk to a lawyer about this. There is a law about this very thing. They may be allowed to deny the warranty but when suit is filed, they have to prove the tune caused the damage.
Thank you for your advice my friend. I will call them up first thing tomorrow morning. Looks like I should start looking for a lawyer then.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said before, small claims court if you have to.
You can research any applicable laws yourself.
Try to work it out with them first though.
If you have to pay a lawyer, you WILL have to sell your car!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing