Engine Dress-Up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Engine Dress-Up

Figured it was time to do some dress-up under my hood. Got the Drake Muscle Billet caps and dipstick handle (still need the Coolant and Washer caps), and a couple of sets of stainless M6x20mm bolts, with blue-anodized washers.

So far, I've replaced the fender bolts, and added bolts to the radiator cover, rather than the ugly plastic rivets. I need to get the matching bolts in M10 and M12 to replace some others.

Looks pretty good, so far.

Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Looks great was planning to do the same are all the fender bolts 6M wanted to buy kit but wasn't sure
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Looks great was planning to do the same are all the fender bolts 6M wanted to buy kit but wasn't sure
Yes, each of the 4 fender bolts, plus the bolts holding the Coolant jug and power steering fluid, the headlights, the ground-wires next to the hood-prop, and the ground on the passenger-side strut-tower are all M6.

For the radiator cover, I bought these nuts, and drilled 9mm holes where each of the plastic rivets went (Radiator brackets, top of the grille, and across the top of the frame), inserted these nuts into the holes, and that allows the M6 bolts to thread in tight.
Blind Rivet Nuts M6 6mm Steel 25pc Free Rivnuts Riv Nut Nutsert Nutserts | eBay

The bolts are the SickSpeed fender kit (I bought 2 because a lot of the other bolts are M6, as well. They're a good quality, and the anodized washers are fantastic. Worth the money, in my book. I also have the matching M12 bolts on the way, for the hood. I also plan to remove the plastic rivets across the windshield shroud, and replace them with the M6 bolts, secured with nut-plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Get rid of that big ugly air box.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Get rid of that big ugly air box.
I'm working on it! Can't afford a tuner right now, so a CAI will have to wait.

Planned engine mods are a CAI, new exhaust, the FRRP blue valve covers, plenum cover, and down the line, a Roush supercharger.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post

I'm working on it! Can't afford a tuner right now, so a CAI will have to wait.

Planned engine mods are a CAI, new exhaust, the FRRP blue valve covers, plenum cover, and down the line, a Roush supercharger.
Judy powder coat the ones u have now much cheaper that's what I did
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-35084274.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	131515  
Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
I'm working on it! Can't afford a tuner right now, so a CAI will have to wait. Planned engine mods are a CAI, new exhaust, the FRRP blue valve covers, plenum cover, and down the line, a Roush supercharger.
Good! I wish I could do all that as well! Goodluck with build. Can't wait to see that roush on there!
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Judy powder coat the ones u have now much cheaper that's what I did
Got my FRPP valve covers and manifold cover today. Gently used, in amazing shape, for $190, delivered. I'm going to paint the manifold cover to match my exterior, with silver accents. May paint the radiator cover, too. Not sure how it'll look, since it's textured. Thoughts?

SO DAMN EXCITED!!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To Fader

Fader: How did you get the dipstick handle to fit properly? I and my mechanic tried putting mine on but it was loose. Even changed out the o-ring but still no good. It needs to fit well so the oil wont spurt out. It cost me $45 and it looks great but I dont want to take the chance unless it fits tight. Same with the washer cap. It fits but fell off after driving the car. Luckily, the cap has a wire that goes over and down the outside of the tube which prevented it from hitting the fan! Any advise?
lesgtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgtcs View Post
Fader: How did you get the dipstick handle to fit properly? I and my mechanic tried putting mine on but it was loose. Even changed out the o-ring but still no good. It needs to fit well so the oil wont spurt out. It cost me $45 and it looks great but I dont want to take the chance unless it fits tight. Same with the washer cap. It fits but fell off after driving the car. Luckily, the cap has a wire that goes over and down the outside of the tube which prevented it from hitting the fan! Any advise?
You know, I didn't do a thing to modify it. When I ordered it, I ordered the 2010-up model, thinking they were the same. Mine isn't as tight as the factory dipstick handle, but it does fit well enough to seal the tube.

Now, the oil cap and power steering cap are more loose Thanks I would have thought, but since neither is pressurized, there's been No issues.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, Fader. My GT is a 2011--dont know if that makes a difference. Except for the dipstick handle I bought a kit. All the other caps, oil, brake fluid, radiator, look and fit great. I'll be getting the tower brace nuts next. I have the chromed hood struts but havent put them on yet--probably this weekend. I saw the M6 nuts and want to buy them but where did you get the bolts and are they stainless?
lesgtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my nuts an bolts thanks to fader for the link purchased a whole complete kit for about 35
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgtcs View Post
Thanks, Fader. My GT is a 2011--dont know if that makes a difference. Except for the dipstick handle I bought a kit. All the other caps, oil, brake fluid, radiator, look and fit great. I'll be getting the tower brace nuts next. I have the chromed hood struts but havent put them on yet--probably this weekend. I saw the M6 nuts and want to buy them but where did you get the bolts and are they stainless?
I bought 2 sets of this for my hood, and a couple of other M12 bolts around the engine:
4pc Blue Bolt Washer for Trunk Hood Hinge Latch Radiator Support 12mm 1 2" | eBay

And 2 of this set for all the rest. Most everything around the edges of the engine bay are M6, including the bolts that hold the ECU, fusebox, hood-striker, prop-rod, headlights, and the 3 or 4 ground wires. There's even a couple of bolts on top of the engine that hold the alternator and power-steering brackets you can replace. They are stainless screws, with nice, thick anodized washers.

Blue 20 PC Billet Aluminum Fender Bumper Washer Bolt Engine Bay Dress Up Kit B | eBay

Word of warning, if you're going to screw down the plastic radiator cover, you'll need nuts underneath. As I said earlier in the thread, I found these nuts. All I had to do was drill 9mm holes (piece of cake, since it's hidden.) and tap these nuts in with a ball-peen hammer. Then you can screw the M6 bolts right in.

Blind Rivet Nuts M6 6mm Steel 25pc Free Rivnuts Riv Nut Nutsert Nutserts | eBay

Good luck! Just be careful when drilling because if you drill to large a hole, the nuts will just spin, unless you super-glue them in place.

Quote:
Just got my nuts an bolts thanks to fader for the link purchased a whole complete kit for about 35
Right on, Man!! I don't like to endorse particular stores, but those folks treated me right, and have a great selection. Prices are fair, and they ship quickly.

Send some pics when you get the bolts in!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Took a mental-health day today, and got my covers installed. LOVE the look!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Looks awesome but now that stock intake looks out of place
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Looks awesome but now that stock intake looks out of place
Lol!! Well, I fixed that! My $84 CAI, with a brand-new K & N cone. No tune required, but shinier than I wanted. I'll fix that at a later date, along with mounting a heat-shield around the cone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing