Need help "detailing"? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Region: New York
Need help "detailing"?

Hi!
I have a 2008 GT and my hood paint or clear coat has some swirls in it. Also I just noticed that there are one or two tiny pebble sized chips. I'd like to do something to fix this, on my own.
Any suggestions or advice on how to do the work, products to buy and so forth?
I would like to stress the fact that this will be my first time ever doing something like this ...so, please be detailed and give me baby steps if you don't mind.
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
First i start off by washing it with soap, the best way is to use the 2 bucket system with grit guards. With this you have a bucket of soapy water you use to wipe down the car, and the other bucket you use to rinse off all the dirt you picked up from the car, this eliminates the possibility of putting that dirty back on your car and inducing those swirl marks you have. After you are done with that rinse the car off but do not dry it just yet.

Second, you should clay bar your car. Clay barring is something you use to pick up those dirt contaminates that are stuck onto the car, you do not always see them. You NEED a lubricant when rubbing the clay on your car otherwise you will put in micro-marring into the paint. You can either buy a detail spray for lubricant, or you can use that soapy water you were using to wash your car. Also the water that is on your car that you did not dry off will also act as a lubricant... You can never have too much lubricant when working with clay. If you don't know how to use a clay bar there are plenty of videos on youtube you can watch. After you clay bar rinse your car off again (w/ or w/o soap, it doesn't matter) and then dry it off with microfiber towels.

Third you will want to polish the car (on old oxidized paint you will want to use a rubbing compound also, but your paint is relatively new so you don't need to), I personally use Meguiars Ultimate polish with microfiber applicator pads, but will hopefully be getting a machine polisher some time soon. When you polish you want to rub in an oscillating pattern (like the karate kid wax on wax off) and work it all in, you will be rubbing for a while and your arms will start to get tired, but it will be worth it. Once the polish is completely worked in wipe it off right away, it is really hard to take off when it sits too long. When doing this only use good microfiber towels. And you can give a couple spritzes of water to help it come off easier.

After you did the entire car you will want to apply either a wax or sealent. A wax will give it a shinier look but a sealant will give it much better protection, and last longer. I recommend a sealant if it is your daily driver. For this Griots sealant works amazing. When applying, you should use a different microfiber applicator pad than you did with the polish, and you will want to apply it in straight lines (Do not apply wax or sealant like they did in the Karate kid, they don't know crap about detailing cars haha). Straight lines always. Make sure to work it all the way in also, and it should wipe off a little easier than the polish, but you can give it a tiny bit of sprays with water to help the excess come off.

Lastly, stand back and look at how amazing your car is.

*Note* At any time if anything you are using touches the ground (ie Clay bar, microfiber towel ect) just throw it away, you will never be able to get out all of the dirt and other stuff that gets into it.

I hope i was detailed enough.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Here is some of the stuff I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2899319772.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	131720  

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i second the Griots One Step Sealant. I will never use anything else lol.

after some heavy raining the day before...no wiping down

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Wow, thank you so very much! I can't wait to get started. I heard clay barring takes a lot time. Should I plan for this to be an all day event?
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yes, when i detail my car i spend about 5-6 hours when i'm rushing. I can easily take an entire day if i take my time. I'm actually going to be detailing my car on Friday for a huge show the next day and I asked my friend to help me detail it because i don't know if i can get all of it done that day.

HID end all thread
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya I do the same thing spend the whole dang day on her crank the tunes drink a few brews life is good .
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

When I detail I let the Mach 460 do all the talking lol

HID end all thread
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is this good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131007_210827.png
Views:	257
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	131829
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Is this good?
I've heard a few good things about it.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Those types of cleaners work great, be very cautious when doing this in terms of technic, if your not carful and lack knowledge on how to do that type of cleaning you can wreck your car. But good stuff.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Is this good?

Attachment 131829
I use that stuff and it gets the water spots off great from when it sits outside. I stopped washing with water a long time ago because I couldn't dry the car fast enough to stop the water spots.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing