Vinyl v. Leather v. Cloth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Vinyl v. Leather v. Cloth

Mainly I want to know how vinyl compares to leather for seats. Does vinyl hold up better over time, does it get hot and cold like leather? Is there any special care involved? I like leather seats, but they never seem to last. I like cloth except that it never looks as clean, it can stain, holds dirt etc. I'm looking to get new seats and saw vinyl, just wanted to see what you guys recommend and why.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I'm looking for an upgrade to stock 86 gt seats, would like something that fits like a racing seat, but comfy enough for dd, and road trips.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
Mainly I want to know how vinyl compares to leather for seats. Does vinyl hold up better over time, does it get hot and cold like leather? Is there any special care involved? I like leather seats, but they never seem to last. I like cloth except that it never looks as clean, it can stain, holds dirt etc. I'm looking to get new seats and saw vinyl, just wanted to see what you guys recommend and why.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I'm looking for an upgrade to stock 86 gt seats, would like something that fits like a racing seat, but comfy enough for dd, and road trips.

Vinyl ACTS a lot like leather, but it doesn't hold up as long. You'll get your skin stuck the seat, but it will crack way sooner. If you go easier on your interior, it might last a long time, but again, leather will last longer.

Here's a video on cleaning vinyl too

01LaserCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Leather is fart more comfortable and durable. If price isn't and issue, go for leather.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

That should read far more comfortable. 😄
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Leather is fart more comfortable and durable. If price isn't and issue, go for leather.
FART! Hahaha

Haha fart and dick jokes are always comedy gold, but I digress.

Leather is a better option for the simple fact that it can be maintained. Since it is animal skin, cleaning and condition will go a long way to preserving it and reducing the effects of wear and age. Monthly cleanups (or when it is dirty) will remove oil from skin, residue and dust and things that leave impurities. Most cleaners will also help maintain a proper surface ph to prevent cracking and aging. Conditioning will restore surface texture, rub nutrients into the pores to nourish the leather and hydrate it. Drying leads to cracking. There are lots of good write ups online to maintaining leather. It seems overwhelming, but it's really pretty straight forward and rewarding. With proper care, you can keep your leather upholstery looking as clean as the day you got it for years. Vinyl is nice because it is mainly low maintenance, but not much can be done to prevent it from cracking. This is especially true in regions where it is colder. Vinyl is a plastic and under colder harsher climates, it is more likely to crack or age rapidly.

Both good options, you just have to figure out what's important for you and if you're prepared to upkeep!
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well, thanks for the inputs, I'm really leaning toward cloth b/c leather is kinda pricey, but any info on comfortable upgrades to stock seats? Any brand recommendations?
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Fart.........lmao. Vinyl cracks way to much. You could always do something custom like leather with suede inserts.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing